• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Develops Hybrid FPA Technology, Lowers LCD Response Times

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sony Corporation has developed "Hybrid FPA (field-induced photo-reactive alignment)", a new liquid crystal alignment technique which enables a significantly faster response time for liquid crystal displays. Fast responses of less than 3ms have been achieved in test cells through this technology. Aside from contributing to 'picture quality enhancement in 3D and high frame rate video', this technology will improve 'product stability' during the display panel manufacturing process as well as after long-term use. Additionally, this technology will achieve production efficiencies by reducing the manufacturing process and time.

Sony previously developed the "FPA *1" high-speed liquid crystal response alignment technique based on vertical alignment (VA) liquid crystal modes. One method for improving liquid crystal response time is to generate pre-tilt of the liquid crystal molecules. "FPA" technique uses the alignment layer developed by Sony and maintains pre-tilt of liquid crystal molecules by irradiating UV while applying voltage in manufacturing process. This facilitates the stable and even alignment of the liquid crystal molecules *2, thus achieving improvements in both liquid crystal response time and the contrast ratio. In addition, this has made it possible to eradicate the Mura (uniformity problem) in the display as well as to eliminate the 'sticking image' that can occur after long-term use.

The new "Hybrid FPA" technology is the result of further development of the aforementioned "FPA" technology with its superior features. "Hybrid FPA" technology has achieved an even faster liquid crystal response time by maintained the pre-tilt on just one side of the substrate alignment layer (see illustration). Furthermore, this new technology has succeeded in facilitating drastic improvements in liquid crystal response time, especially faster movement of liquid crystal molecule when decreasing the voltage which was previously difficult to achieve, as well as higher contrast.

This technology will be presented on December 2 at IDW '10 (International Display Workshops), a display technology conference to be held in Fukuoka City, Japan from December 1 to 3.

Sony is jointly developing alignment layer materials with JSR Corporation, a leading company in electronic materials and display materials, for early commercialization of this technology. Hereafter, Sony plans to further accelerate its development of the technology with JSR's highly functional alignment layer materials and stable material quality.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
truth be told - its not really the quoted response time of a monitor that makes a difference is weather that monitor can KEEP UP with that response time.

most people wont be able to tell the difference between a 2ms and 8ms certified monitor. and in the real world - going from 8ms to 2ms makes very little difference if any at all and if there was you probably wouldnt notice it and the ONLY time you'd notice it was if the screen was 'ghosting' like a motherf**ker. only douchebags like Fata1ity Wendel would run an ad saying how he upgraded from a 8ms tft to a 2ms and really 'upped-his-game' and made him totally pro.

trust me, most manufacturers have really low ms monitors. - you get the good ones, and then you get the bad ones. just because a screen is rated/certified for 2ms doesnt mean it wont lag and be more like 24ms. this happends all the time as TFT panels arent made totally equal just like processors. just because one dude can clock his i5 to 4.5Ghz doesnt mean that yours will do the same.

though - saying that. manufacturering of TFT panels have really stepped up and they are generally getting a lot lot better meaning that if you buy a Samsung 8ms TFT - the same performance will be observed through out every single monitor of the same model number so their not all over the place unless you just picked up a duff screen

why do they still struggle with lcd's? oled is just around the corner and is better in any way than lcd. they better invest their money in oled production lines.

why do they still struggle with lcd's? oled is just around the corner and is better in any way than lcd. they better invest their money in oled production lines.
True, although the tendency for some tech like this is to be prolonged as much as possible.

W

wahdangun

because oled right now still expensive and hard to produce.

btw i don't give a crap about response time, we need better quality LCD and higher density Dpi

tbh i really confuse if LG can make super High Dpi density on apple iPhone 4G why the hell they can't make it for normal LCD monitor its not like its hard to make it bigger :rolleyes:

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
tbh i really confuse if LG can make super High Dpi density on apple iPhone 4G why the hell they can't make it for normal LCD monitor its not like its hard to make it bigger

It must be because of production cost. Maybe it's so expensive to make that type of screen and keep the monitors and tvs in an affordable price.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It must be because of production cost. Maybe it's so expensive to make that type of screen and keep the monitors and tvs in an affordable price.

good call but not a valid point IMO. A few years ago a 32" flatscreen TV would set you back about £800-1000+. EVEN NOW there are flatscreen TVs that can cost anywhere inbetween £2000-3000+ and obviously SOMEONE must be buying these TVs or else they wouldnt bother making them.

Keeping stuff affordable is an entirely different subject as people are still willing to pay £2000+ for a flatscreen tv.

a good 32" tv costs around £300-400 now.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10

because oled right now still expensive and hard to produce.

btw i don't give a crap about response time, we need better quality LCD and higher density Dpi

tbh i really confuse if LG can make super High Dpi density on apple iPhone 4G why the hell they can't make it for normal LCD monitor its not like its hard to make it bigger :rolleyes:

lol..... I work for the company that invented and patented the OLED technology.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Give me a 240 hz, quick response, led, IPS, 21 inch 1080p monitor and maybe I'll buy another LCD. I have this same issue with smart phones, nobody has the balls to make a super product or the smarts to realize people will buy it, instead we end up having to pick between an assortment of half-assed crap. As for the future, at this point OLED is moving so slow QLED may beat it out as the true LCD replacement.

Mandown

System Name Rusty Black Dragon <> Spider-Dragon <> Raging Theatah
Processor Phenom II X4 940BE 3.6 <> Phenom X4 9850BE 3.1 <> Phenom II X3^4 740BE 3.75
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum <> MSI K9A2-CF V2 <> ASUS M4A785-M
Cooling ZEROTherm Nirvana <> 2x AC Freezer 64 pro
Memory 4Gb G-skill ripjaws @1200Mhz 5-5-5-18 <> 4Gb - G-skills 1066Mhz <> 4Gb - G-skills 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 X2 <> HIS 3850 TurboX <> HIS 4670
Storage WD 750GB Caviar Black <> Western Digital 640GB <> 300GB Maxtor + 500GB Seagate
Display(s) Hanns-G 28" HG281D 1080p <> Acer 22" X223W <> LG 42" LCD 720p
Case Antec Twelve-Hundred <> NZXT Apollo Black <> NZXT Apollo Orange
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy-Logitech Z-5300e <> Diamond Xtreme 5.1 <> 4670 HD Audio
Power Supply Cosair 850w<> Ultra LSP 750w <> Antec 650w Trio-power
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Give me a 240 hz, quick response, led, IPS, 21 inch 1080p monitor and maybe I'll buy another LCD

That brings up a question, is it really necessary to have a 240Hz refresh rate. Isn't 120Hz more than enough?