• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two questions related to my vid card performance

mazeroth

I got a Soyo KT600 mobo + an Athlon 2800+ processor from my friend for $25, a deal I couldn't pass up. He said my 1gb of PC2100 would work fine, which it does, but it makes me drop my FSB down to 133mhz which sucks. I'd like to get some faster RAM and saw this deal at Newegg for 1gb of Corsair PC3200 for $78 and was wondering if this would be good RAM for my motherboard? Also, in 6-12 months I'll be upgrading to an Athlon 64 - FX55 (something along those lines) and want to make sure the RAM I buy will be usable in that new mobo/cpu combo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

Second. I purchased an eVGA 6600GT AGP video card and am using it in the aforementioned system. I read on the net that card can use up to 210 watts of power which concerns me because my power supply is only a 300w Antec. Should I be concerned? I am getting lower than expected scores on 3DMark05 (memory causing a prob I'm sure) and was wondering if maybe they're also being affected by my power supply not getting enough juice to the video card? If you think that's a problem, can you recommend a CHEAP power supply from Newegg that will help me out? In college and on a tight budget.

Thanks!

well 300W is a bit low. Stresstest your system for a while, if it runs fine there shouldn't be a problem. Though I do think it'll be a bottleneck when overclocking.

300W P/S is way too small to power an athlon with an nvidia card. The ram is probably giving you the performance loss. Frankly, I'm surprised you're system is halfway stable with that small of a P/S.
That thermaltake P/S should be fine. Good price too.
The corsair DDR400 would be a good choice for mem. It'll also be compatible with an athlon 64 when you do upgrade.