• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Company 2 Locking up my machine

chas1723

I am now having the same issue. From the looks of it Punkbuster had an update on the 9th that seems to cause this.

fire2havoc

Processor i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz + HT, 1.25v
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HIS 6950 2GB
Storage WD 640GB Black + 2x WD 1TB Green
Display(s) 30" Dell U3011 H-IPS
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
I am now having the same issue. From the looks of it Punkbuster had an update on the 9th that seems to cause this.

I reinstalled the game and still have the issue. Does punkbuster somehow update automatically?

If so, is there a way to roll it back to a previous version?

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
actually, if you google 6970 reviews, you will see 6970s require quite a bit under 300 watts.

example: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/12/15/ati-radeon-hd-6970-review/10

You will see the *entire system* only draws 306watts at the wall under load. Assume a 90% efficient PSU and you can figure out that CPU+memory+HD+etc+6970 is only 275 watts. If you assume 220watts for the 6970, that still leaves only 55watts for the cpu+memory+etc.

Also, make sure you do PSU reviews before purchasing. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ has some excellent reviews as the author has a background in electrical engineering.

example, my 750 PSU has 4 rails. The reviewer was able to get each rail up to 400 watts, which was the max their tester could handle for a single input. It more than likely was able to handle more power, but they were unable to test that. Even at that huge draw for a single rail on a 750watt psu, the power coming out had virtually no voltage ripple to it. They were able to get a 920watt load on the PSU before the over-current protector shutdown the unit. Even at 920watts, the 750 unit was not only still maintaining voltage, but it was only 2% over the rated voltages, eg 12v rail ~12.2v, and the voltage output was still smooth. Quote: "practically non-existent ripple and noise"

I effectively bought a 750 PSU that can not only burst, but sustain 900watts with no indication of over-load by looking at smoothness/noise of power provided by the capacitors or the temperature of the unit. Based on the parts in the unit, they estimated about a 1500watt max theoretical output.

You can't judge a PSU by its sticker.

Just say'n

oh absolutely you can't judge by the sticker and I completely missed the post where he explained his power supply (damn tiny iphone screen) and I was going by the "320 watts" listed in this review:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...50-graphics-card-review-power-temp-noise.html

I'm behind a proxy right now so the site is kind of all messed up so I can't tell if there are any other pages to the review that would explain if that was card draw or system + card draw.