• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] 700d on water

To view this case mod, go here.

Specs:
Corsair 700d
Asus Sabertooth P67
i5 2500k @ 4.9Ghz (1.375v)
2x GTX580s in SLI
8GB DRR3 @ 1866Mhz
Xonar DX
CoolerMaster 1000w PSU

Koolance RP-450X2
2x MCP655
EK Supreme HF
2x MCW80
MIPS ram block
2x MCR320
12x 120mm High Speed Yate Loons @ 5v

Mods:
I cut out a portion of the back panel and meshed it in to allow for more air flow to the lower radiator. I got the metal mesh from a trash can at office depot. I took out the bottom HDD cage. I milled out a very very tiny bit inside the tops of the MCW80s because they have horrible flow. They now have great flow.

My temps are pretty good for how much heat I'm throwing into the loop. While playing a Bad Company 2 my CPU maxes out at 64c and my GPUs max out at 45c.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I gave you a seven for a good try and a nice system. But one thing that would have made the WC on the cards pop out to me would be the extra effort in removing the stock fans. You don't have to remove the stock heat plate keep that but remove the stock fan. It's not doing anything anyway now accept making noise.

The tool you use to do it is a Tore x T6 Screw Driver. You can buy them at a hardware store for $4 to $6 bucks. I know I just picked mine up today and my local Ace hardware.

If it were me I also would get rid of the spot fan. Go for a custom mounted fan on your VRM's if your that worried about it. But even my i7 2600k when running @ 5ghz the VRM's don't get that hot to have to worry about that.

@20mmrain: Thanks! I left the stock heatsink plate on because Swiftech hadn't yet come out with their fullcard heatsink but I think its out now so i will be ordering two of those. The fans on the card don't make any noise, they spin nice and slow cause I set them that way.

I am actually gonna get rid of the spot fan. I never felt like it made much of a difference. That and I think I'm gonna take off the plastic case around the motherboard. Not sure. Thoughts?

@stazorm: Thanks! I cant really say how long this took me. I am constantly changing things around and adding different components. I love this case. I like the extra room behind the motherboard for cable routing. That and my water tube routing too!

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
Tubing through the cable management routes? I don't know if that's crazy or smart. But hey, as long as it's not messing up the waterflow and is not too hard to disassemble. Good looking system. 7/10.

@Soylent Joe: Thanks! It doesn't kink at all. My tubing size is 3/8ID and 1/2"OD. It probably wouldn't work so well with bigger tubing.

gpost3

System Name Custom Work/Gaming PC
Processor Core 2 E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz
Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Cooling Intel Stock for CPU / Arctic Accelero for VGA
Memory 2x2GB Kingston DDR2 800 Mhz
Video Card(s) nVidia Geforce 240 GT DDR5
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500 GB + WD RE4 500 GB
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard for now but getting a soundcard soon
Power Supply Antec 430 EarthWatts
Software Win7 x64/Ubuntu 10.10 x64
Like the HDD bays my man. Liquid cooling is good so +4 for that. But what's up with so many fans? isn't the whole point of liquid cooling is to reduce the number of fans so -4 for that. 9 so far out of 10 for clean job but lame teenager case with silly blue lights so -3 for that. 6/10 bro. Good work.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Like the HDD bays my man. Liquid cooling is good so +4 for that. But what's up with so many fans? isn't the whole point of liquid cooling is to reduce the number of fans so -4 for that. 9 so far out of 10 for clean job but lame teenager case with silly blue lights so -3 for that. 6/10 bro. Good work.

For enthusiasts (high performance) in the water cooling world, fans are still required to help the rads disperse heat. Most people I know do not water cool to reduce the noise, but to rather allow themselves more overclocking headroom. So I find your reduction in score for that is questionable:(
Minus 3 for "Lame teenager case" because of blue fan lights is again questionable. We all have our right our opinion; however I fail to see this as a problem when most builders like to include lights to show off their rigs:(

I think this was a great build and appreciate the OP sharing it with us:toast:
I love the looks of that Sabertooth! I personally would not have chosen to not water cool the ram as it is now days really not necesarry, but what the hell it looks nice:)
I do like the mod of the case for better airflow in regards to the rad on the bottom.
9/10

Last edited:

gpost3

System Name Custom Work/Gaming PC
Processor Core 2 E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz
Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Cooling Intel Stock for CPU / Arctic Accelero for VGA
Memory 2x2GB Kingston DDR2 800 Mhz
Video Card(s) nVidia Geforce 240 GT DDR5
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500 GB + WD RE4 500 GB
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard for now but getting a soundcard soon
Power Supply Antec 430 EarthWatts
Software Win7 x64/Ubuntu 10.10 x64
Oh I still appreciate the OP for sharing it. But as you said we have our own tastes, I think 6 is the right score but I take your point of the need to have many fans. Since I didn't cast the vote after posting, 7/10 for 4.9 Ghz my man!

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
@20mmrain: Thanks! I left the stock heatsink plate on because Swiftech hadn't yet come out with their fullcard heatsink but I think its out now so i will be ordering two of those. The fans on the card don't make any noise, they spin nice and slow cause I set them that way.

I am actually gonna get rid of the spot fan. I never felt like it made much of a difference. That and I think I'm gonna take off the plastic case around the motherboard. Not sure. Thoughts?

@stazorm: Thanks! I cant really say how long this took me. I am constantly changing things around and adding different components. I love this case. I like the extra room behind the motherboard for cable routing. That and my water tube routing too!

I still think keeping the Aluminum Frame would help cooling definitely (on the video cards). They do have some thermal capabilities considering the thermal pads and the Heat dissipation of the aluminum. So make sure you keep that with when removing the fan. I am sure the fans are quiet somewhat but when they are gone I bet you that you will notice even more quietness.....trust me I did when I did it on my HD6950's before I sold them.

From what I hear the Shroud on the motherboard does not help too much with cooling. Even though Asus claims it does. I would say keep it. Even though it might not help with cooling that much.... it still offers protection to your Motherboard components.

I also do have a question bud... the one thing I admired was the WC tubing being hidden behind the motherboard tray. This adds a extra cleanness to the case. My question for you have you noticed any flow restriction because of this or any problems what so ever. Because I think it's a interesting idea and I would love to hear your findings on it.

Like I said before nice build for sure bud :) Keep up the great work.

Thanks for all the comments guys. The fans are super quiet, you really can't notice them. I have them all powered off the 5v line. And hey, I like the blue lights. Ha ha, to each their own. :)

I know I didn't have to cool the ram I just like the way it looks I guess. I try to invest in parts that I can reuse, like if I get different ram I can still use the ram cooler, but I wouldn't be able to reuse a full cover block for the GPUs.

No flow restrictions due too the tubing routing. They aren't kinked, but I had to really think out how I was going to do it to avoid kinking the tubes. The biggest restriction in my loop was the 2 mcw80 GPU blocks. That made my loop crawl. So, I milled out a tiny bit of derlin from the inside tops and that made a world of difference.

Thanks guys.