• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Ivy Bridge Desktop Processor Models Tabled

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
So what you're saying is that Intel isn't interested in making the most amount of money?

And this locked multiplier thing didn't actually happen?
And the wildly profitable overpriced dual core CPUs didn't actually happen?
And the choice of putting the HD2000 gpus into desktop parts didn't actually happen?

Intel doesn't need to move to quadcores. WHY would you think so??? Is there some new entrant to the market offering a competing product??

Actually AMD doesn't have a dual core in their FX line. Just because we know that BD isn't all that competitive doesn't mean that your average consumer knows that. When an average person goes in to the store, what do you think that they will pick? 2 cores for the same price as 4? I don't think so

Getting rid of dual cores would be a wise choice by Intel.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
mmm, i5 3570K, if not, perhaps it could drive down the prices of the 2500K, its more than enough for me :)

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!

Benetanegia

So what you're saying is that Intel isn't interested in making the most amount of money?

And this locked multiplier thing didn't actually happen?
And the wildly profitable overpriced dual core CPUs didn't actually happen?
And the choice of putting the HD2000 gpus into desktop parts didn't actually happen?

Intel doesn't need to move to quadcores. WHY would you think so??? Is there some new entrant to the market offering a competing product??

What I'm saying is that they'll make as much money with those quads as they did with the dual SB cores, probably more, because:

1) At 22nm 4c IB is probably the same size as 2c SB at 32 nm.
2) They only have to create one flavor, which saves costs on design, manufacturing, QA... arguably making a second flavor of IB would cost them MORE than selling quads "cheap".
3) Being 4 cores, they can probably increase the street price a bit when compared to 2c SB's. i.e instead of a $120 dual core, they'd sell a $130 quad core, which looks like a lot better for customers, specially when that means chosing between a $500 dual core or $510 quad core Dell/HP/etc build. And because of 1) and 2) Intel just made $10 more per chip sold, because making them costs exactly the same. And considering the cost is probably in the $20-30 range...

They will still sell dual cores, but most certainly under the Pentium brand or something. Also remember that their goal in the not so distant future (2013-2014) is to use SoCs (Atom or nextgen), for those low end builds.

What I'm saying is that they'll make as much money with those quads as they did with the dual SB cores, probably more, because:

1) At 22nm 4c IB is probably the same size as 2c SB at 32 nm.
2) They only have to create one flavor, which saves costs on design, manufacturing, QA... arguably making a second flavor of IB would cost them MORE than selling quads "cheap".
3) Being 4 cores, they can probably increase the street price a bit when compared to 2c SB's. i.e instead of a $120 dual core, they'd sell a $130 quad core, which looks like a lot better for customers, specially when that means chosing between a $500 dual core or $510 quad core Dell/HP/etc build. And because of 1) and 2) Intel just made $10 more per chip sold, because making them costs exactly the same. And considering the cost is probably in the $20-30 range...

They will still sell dual cores, but most certainly under the Pentium brand or something. Also remember that their goal in the not so distant future (2013-2014) is to use SoCs (Atom or nextgen), for those low end builds.

Fair enough. But I'll im trying to say is that while selling quads might be as profitable as dual core SB CPUs, selling dual cores would be far MORE profitable especially at 22nm.

Benetanegia

Fair enough. But I'll im trying to say is that while selling quads might be as profitable as dual core SB CPUs, selling dual cores would be far MORE profitable especially at 22nm.

Well, there's where we disagree. The gross margin would probably be higher with dualies, but IMO they can make the same or more profits with quads nowadays. Again IMO, with quads revenue would be higher, profits about the same or better and gross margin most definately lower (which is what you are refering to IMO), but in the end it would result in stronger and more stable financials for them.

I think that in 2012 and beyond they need to give people incentives to upgrade to a new PC. It's been long since people are using dual core boxes and there's no reason to upgrade for most of them. Changing a ~3.0 Ghz dual core for another 3.something Ghz one is something nobody would really do. On a per core/thread basis SB/IB are not much faster than a Core2 on everyday tasks and it definately isn't on average joe's opinion, for him a 3 Ghz dual core is a 3ghz dual core and that's it. A quad solves that problem by being a "notorious" upgrade in this people's eyes (on top of being a real upgrade).

Also Intel needs to set the bar high for desktops/laptops, so that when ARM enters the market, they find it much harder to do so. Many people believe that ARM cannot touch Intel, but they certainly can IMO, at least if dual cores is what they need to fight. Making the low end quad core solves this problem, at a very small price: they don't have real competition on this generation so they can take this "risk" (smaller gross margin, depending on higher revenues) and like I said they had to eventually make the jump, so why not now.

Of course it's only my opinion, and I don't even know if they will release dual core IB or not, but I'm just saying what I think that more sense to them right now. BTW I think it sucks that they can do whatever they want due to no competition*, but on the other hand don't you think that if AMD was more competitive, maybe quads would have become commonplace a lot sooner? I do think so.

* It's like Red Bull F1 racing team, they can afford to set up their car for very short gears, because they know no one will be able to get close enough in curves so as to overtake them in the strainght line, and in fact going with short gear ratios only makes them have an even bigger advantage.

Last edited: