• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crucial Adrenaline Cache Solution Comes to Boost Performance of Existing Hard Drives

Crucial, a leading global brand of memory and storage upgrades, today announced the Crucial Adrenaline Solid State Cache Solution for enhanced PC performance. Comprising a 50 GB Crucial m4 SSD, a 3.5" adapter bracket, and software, Crucial Adrenaline intelligently places, or "caches," the most frequently needed files on the SSD and keeps less frequently used files on the hard drive.

The combination of a cost-effective, high-performance SSD with an existing hard drive provides users with the best of both worlds: SSD-like performance with the high capacity offered by a traditional hard drive, all at an affordable cost.

"Many PC users are reluctant to give up their high-capacity hard drives for the performance of a solid state drive," said Robert Wheadon, worldwide senior product manager, Crucial. "Crucial Adrenaline offers these consumers an affordable bridge between hard drives and solid state drives, so they won't be forced to choose capacity over performance, or vice versa."

Upgrading a system with Crucial Adrenaline is a simple process. Customers need only connect the SSD to the motherboard with a standard SATA cable, start the computer, and then install the caching software. Once installed, the software combines the customer's existing hard drive and the solid state cache into a single storage system. The caching software is fully automated, runs in the background, and requires no user management.

"Consumers are storing lots of digital movies, photos, and music on their home PCs, and as the amount of content grows, they want better PC performance for faster access to that content, similar to what SSDs provide," added Wheadon. "Crucial Adrenaline uses solid state technology as a cache for an existing hard drive to accomplish this goal, and delivers a compelling and affordable upgrade solution."

The Crucial Adrenaline Solid State Cache Solution leverages the industry-leading memory, design, and manufacturing capability of Micron Technology. Backed by a limited three-year warranty, the Crucial Adrenaline Solid State Cache Solution is expected to be available in the first quarter of 2012 through select global channel partners and online at www.crucial.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

imitation

Processor Intel i3-2120
Motherboard ASUS P8H77-V LE
Cooling CPU: AQ Cuplex Kryos Delrin /// GPU: Custom water /// Inno HPPS+ /// 2x 240 Rad /// Noiseblocker PWM
Memory 8G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD5870 @ 1G/1.25G
Storage Samsung 830 128G + some HDDs
Display(s) LG W2242T + Benq W700+
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB3
Power Supply beQuiet Pure Power L7 430W
Software W7U64
  • I'll wait for benchmarks to verify the performance gain
  • The software sounds like it is windows-only. Will it retain readability in other OSs, like Linux?
  • Will the software run reliably?
  • Price? ~100€ would be reasonable if the performance gain is anywhere near a 100€ SSD.

I don't trust Crucial, had a bad experience in past with their Ballistix brand of memory. I will stick with OCZ/Intel/Samsung/Corsair brands for SSD's. :rockout:

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't trust Crucial, had a bad experience in past with their Ballistix brand of memory. I will stick with OCZ/Intel/Samsung/Corsair brands for SSD's. :rockout:

Crazy how that works. And I don't trust OCZ, but Mushkin are very reliable.

Both are the fastest 120Gb of that company

I know they don't have the same amount of reviews, but you get the idea.

Hoping this comes at a reasonable price, my M4 has been amazing ever since I purchased it even though I was wary on the reliability of SSDs. Also agree with Delta, I don't trust OCZ SSDs either due to many complaints from friends.

Crazy how that works. And I don't trust OCZ, but Mushkin are very reliable.

Both are the fastest 120Gb of that company

I know they don't have the same amount of reviews, but you get the idea.

Point noted, I know the distributor of OCZ in India well and atleast for me the after sales support was very prompt. For Crucial in case of RMA I have to ship faulty products back to US and thats a big headache. Also Crucial tech support aint as prompt as some others. I am definitely going to try Mushkin as I have heard some great reviews.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Nice name for its purpose
Testosterone is next
Just hope, for you hard drive's sake, they don't release an Estrogen or Progesterone model (or the combo)...because performance will vary violently over time and you will be forced to install them in a nice chassis, fixed with premium rubber gourmets, with fine decorated SATA cables in order to have good scores in benchmarks... :p

surely this is just a bigger version of software like supercache or fancycache?

why buy an ssd when you can get ram alot cheaper for a similar speed up?

You really need to try a SSD before you make such a ridiculous statement like this.

You really need to try a SSD before you make such a ridiculous statement like this.

pure ignorance at its best.

do you actually have a clue what supercache actually is?

apparantly not with your stupid statement.

Iciclebar

This will do just fine if it is similar to SRT without the minor headache of setting it up and the fact that it should work on any board and its priced decently.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003

why buy an ssd when you can get ram alot cheaper for a similar much faster speed up, faster, near zero access times and write speed boost not just read speeds?

FIXED

PS. Who needs a cache for "faster access to movies, music and photos"? :rofl: :banghead:

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks

why buy an ssd when you can get ram alot cheaper for a similar speed up?
because SSD will retain the cache after a reboot. RAM won't.

besides, if you are talking about RAM caching, Windows Superfetch works well enough. No need to pay for a 3rd party software IMHO.