• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Micron CEO Steve Appleton Dies In Plane Crash

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That is one fast plane he was flying too. I wouldn't fly that unless I had lots of experience. Just because you can afford one doesn't mean you have the skill level necessary. I work in aviation BTW. I have seen so many wealthy individuals even hit things while trying to taxi their plane. :eek:

Stunt piloting is kind of asking for it. As a father you should remember to be safe as your family needs you.

Definitely, we don't know his experience, but it sounds like he wasn't an amateur.

And just because you can afford something doesn't mean you have the still level necessary to not wreck it and die, I totally agree. Just look at all the videos on youtube of rich idiots wrecking powerful expensive cars that they don't have anything near the skill level to be driving...:roll:

I flew a Glasair 3 at an airshow in NZ last weekend, the lancair (which I dont own but have flown) and the glasair I own are tricky on takeoff and landing and an in experienced pilot could easily loose control, I know this sounds bad but I bet this is pilots error, a second of lapse on concentration can cause this, I sold a Lancair I owned and I had it for 2 years NEVER an incident, the new owner flew it for 9 hours and crashed it, then 4 months after rebuilt he crashed it again, they are tricky to fly glasair and lancairs

This plane is certainly akin to the expensive fast cars that rich idiots can't drive, but deadlier. Without knowing his skill level or his experience with the plane, or more importantly what actually caused the crash, no one can say he was doing something dangerous. Heck, for all we know it could have been a system failure, something not totally uncommon in kit built airplanes. Though it definitely could have been pilot error as well.

I think the important thing that we should be concerned with is that a man is dead, a father and husband. That is a tragedy regardless of cause, and IMO, jumping so quickly to point the finger at the dead person is disrespectful. That isn't meant at anyone in particular. I'm just saying we should all show some respect and not start blaming a dead guy like he meant to die or was doing something he knew was dangerous.

R_1

I am wondering if it is possible to build a smal turbofan jet engine with integrated brushless electric motor/generator. Together with small fuel cell and supercapacitor array it will provide a lot of redundancy.

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
Is that being treated as a "just the way it is" type of thing or what? An aircraft shouldn't be "tricky" for something as essential as taking off and landing. That's a design flaw. Correct the damn flaw.

That IS the way it is man, sometimes for a plane/car/whatever to be advantageous in some areas it needs to be flawed in other areas. Why do you think 700hp Lamborghinis are still legal when theres a 90% chance that a 18 year old who just got their licence would crash it? And guess which car could take 3 kids to school quicker? The Lamborghini, or a Dodge Neon? 2 flaws for the Lamborghini there.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I wasn't thinking of legality. Everyone knows laws are flawed. A convenience trade off is fine. One that threatens your life or more importantly someone elses isn't. Don't put something on the market that proportionally outpaces its safety features.

lashton

I wasn't thinking of legality. Everyone knows laws are flawed. A convenience trade off is fine. One that threatens your life or more importantly someone elses isn't. Don't put something on the market that proportionally outpaces its safety features.

The aircraft is safe when flown carefully and properly, when someone pushes the lancair outside its flight envelope, I know the wing produces a Stall codition of the wind and huigh speed NOT like a high speed stall, the term experimental means it was kit built, NOT all kit but aircraft are dangeous, the "europa" which I also own is a docile and extremely easy aircraft to fly.
there is only really one sytem failure that can cause a crash killing pilot, and I see that as an elevator failure, although a few things could have occoured that over wound the pilot, the same thing happened to that kennedy bloke, he flew outside his skill level.

T

twilyth

You have to understand that there are different rules for different classes of planes. I can build an ultra light that I fabricate from common parts and legally fly it myself but I wouldn't be able to sell it to someone.

Kit planes fall in between the ultra lights and commercial aircraft. If I buy a Cessna, you're right, it should be safe. But there is a huge community out there, people with money, who want the rules on things like this to remain somewhat lax. However unlike ultralights, there are still a lot of restrictions, just not as many as for something like a Cessna.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

A 700+hp super car fits into the same category. Should we stop making them, too?