• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

European Commission sends Statement of Objections to Microsoft on Browser Compliance

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Sorry you fail to understand what a monopoly is. Alternatives or not, M$ controls the market and uses tactics to mantain it. As an example, the one they are being slammed for now. THAT defines a monopoly, the control of the market, not whether there are poor and powerless alternatives or not.

Coke and McDonalds are not monopolies at all. It may surprise you (once again the "american" ego), but those are far from having a dominant position here in the EU, we know better. ;)

As for Apple, already said it. They are not a dominant power in the OS scene, hence they are not a monopoly, hence anti-monopoly laws don't apply.

So you don't care about you protecting a US company. You don't see a problem simply in the fact that you feel you have to protect it, but you find it weird/funny that someone sides with one of the things that his government does? Because I'm far from supporting the EU concept as a whole. See? That's the problem, one I encounter everyday and one which seems to affect ALL and EVERY US person I talk to. It's the problem, but don't worry, you are not able to see the problem. It does not stop it from being sad.

Nothing to do with progress or open mind. US voters have proven it over and over. It's a mayority, no matter if it's not absolute. Posts like yours prove it over and over again too. Have a little common sense (==put people above companies) and prove me wrong

If MS stopped you from installing an alternative browser THEN you could say its using monopoly tactics. But it doesn't. You can install whatever you want. It just holds the largest market share. Boo Hoo. Get over it. MS is being held ransom by a corrupted EU bleeding people dry to stay in power.

As for your view on "American People" I'm glad to see you lump us all together. Its like me saying all of Spain is lazy because I see them rioting in the streets because the government cut off "free" stuff........but alas I know better then that. You should try some reading a lil history before you lump any culture into any stereotype. You have no clue about Americans if you believe what you just typed. I thank G-d other Europeans I know are not as close minded as you.

Benetanegia

If MS stopped you from installing an alternative browser THEN you could say its using monopoly tactics. But it doesn't. You can install whatever you want. It just holds the largest market share. Boo Hoo. Get over it. MS is being held ransom by a corrupted EU bleeding people dry to stay in power.

Oooh oh cry me a river! Haha. Poor US company is punished for its wrongdoings and you feel the need to insult a foreign body, because it's the only defense you have. Boo hoo.

And funny thing, you say it's a money grab and then say why don't they sue Apple et all. EXACTLY. If it's a money grab, why don't they sue Apple who has nearly twice as much money?? Hmm? :rolleyes:

As for your view on "American People" I'm glad to see you lump us all together. Its like me saying all of Spain is lazy because I see them rioting in the streets because the government cut off "free" stuff........but alas I know better then that. You should try some reading a lil history before you lump any culture into any stereotype. You have no clue about Americans if you believe what you just typed. I thank G-d other Europeans I know are not as close minded as you.

Until I find an "american" (ego, ego... who's putting all americans in the same bag now, again typical of US to call them America) who thinks differently and does not defend their precious companies over the actual people, I'll continue saying the same. Funny thing, you claim not all "americans" are the same, but you are 100% willingly taking that instance and being 100% the sterotype that I said (so are all other posters here so far). So...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
you claim not all "americans" are the same

Your claim that they are the same is pretty ignorant. Of course, if you truly believe that getting an inclination of a society overall through an internet forum, I suppose I really can't blame you for ignorance per say.

I think if the EU wants to go after Microsoft for being a monopoly (which I believe it is), going after an included application (IE) is the wrong way to go as it really doesn't make much sense considering they have a better argument going after the O/S itself.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Ill have to agree with MailMan on this, Goat Cheese is much better than Badger Cheese.

EDIT: wrong topic.

EU commission is corrupt.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Oooh oh cry me a river! Haha. Poor US company is punished for its wrongdoings and you feel the need to insult a foreign body, because it's the only defense you have. Boo hoo.

And funny thing, you say it's a money grab and then say why don't they sue Apple et all. EXACTLY. If it's a money grab, why don't they sue Apple who has nearly twice as much money?? Hmm? :rolleyes:

Until I find an "american" (ego, ego... who's putting all americans in the same bag now, again typical of US to call them America) who thinks differently and does not defend their precious companies over the actual people, I'll continue saying the same. Funny thing, you claim not all "americans" are the same, but you are 100% willingly taking that instance and being 100% the sterotype that I said (so are all other posters here so far). So...

No I fit your perception. Not reality. You don't have a clue of my political alignments. You just assume you do because I'm not waving EU flag and live in the states. Its sad really. You will always be stuck in a shallow bubble of media fed propaganda until you open your mind. I for one have been around this globe and know people in general are vastly different then what the local TV shows you. You should get a pass port and fly over here. Ill take ya fishin.

As for the EU suing MS they started this stupid law when MS was still worth more then Apple. This is just a carry over from a few years ago. Give it time. The EU will be blaming Apple for something stupid soon.

Benetanegia

Your claim that they are the same is pretty ignorant. Of course, if you truly believe that getting an inclination of a society overall through an internet forum, I suppose I really can't blame you for ignorance per say.

I've known 10 people from US in person and they were the same, regarding this in general (sadly it's a topic that always comes up, because its so tighly related to other things like Iraq, etc.).

I guess I'm ignorant regarding how the US trully is, because of the people I've known, the US governments and what they've done to the rest of the world, the US military and what they've done to other countries, the morality in movies, etc, etc. I don't and can't know one and every US citizen, but every exposure I've seen points in that direction. There are probably exceptions to the rule, as always, but that does not change the overall reality. I think that saying ALL in the way I said does not imply one and everyone. I don' think it's a language problem, just a US member wanting to imply that I put one and every US in the same bag in order to discredit my opinion, when I'm just describing a trait that IS common to the grand mayority, whether they see it or not.

I think if the EU wants to go after Microsoft for being a monopoly (which I believe it is), going after an included application (IE) is the wrong way to go as it really doesn't make much sense considering they have a better argument going after the O/S itself.

It was part of a negotiation, if you read what it's all about. If M$ included that option (and other changes) they would avoid further problems. But they failed to comply to that simple mandate, meaning that they went against something they were legally tied to and as such they are going to be punished. It has nothing to do with other antitrust cases the EU might or might not have against M$.

No I fit your perception. Not reality. You don't have a clue of my political alignments. You just assume you do because I'm not waving EU flag and live in the states. Its sad really. You will always be stuck in a shallow bubble of media fed propaganda until you open your mind. I for one have been around this globe and know people in general are vastly different then what the local TV shows you. You should get a pass port and fly over here. Ill take ya fishin.

WTF are you talking about now. I've only talked about a single trait, one that you've vastly proven to have: defending companies over everything else. And you are doing exactly that, so of course you fit in that demographic, and has nothing to do with perception. I've not described anything else regarding how US citicens are (except the ego and calling themselves americans) so please stop playing the victim.

EDIT: A few days ago, I made a comment about why humans hurt other humans. Your reply? Because it's fun. And then a mention to a TV channel and Iraqui war. Someone else said something like "yeah better than superbowl". Jokes, certainly (well I hope), but it really shows something underneath. Simply the disposition to make fun of something like that... So don't blame me for how I see you, YOU are the only one responsible for that.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I've known 10 people from US in person and they were the same, regarding this in general (sadly it's a topic that always comes up, because its so tighly related to other things like Iraq, etc.).

I guess I'm ignorant regarding how the US trully is, because of the people I've known, the US governments and what they've done to the rest of the world, the US military and what they've done to other countries, the morality in movies, etc, etc. I don't and can't know one and every US citizen, but every exposure I've seen points in that direction. There are probably exceptions to the rule, as always, but that does not change the overall reality. I think that saying ALL in the way I said does not imply one and everyone. I don' think it's a language problem, just a US member wanting to imply that I put one and every US in the same bag in order to discredit my opinion, when I'm just describing a trait that IS common to the grand mayority, whether they see it or not.

It was part of a negotiation, if you read what it's all about. If M$ included that option (and other changes) they would avoid further problems. But they failed to comply to that simple mandate, meaning that they went against something they were legally tied to and as such they are going to be punished. It has nothing to do with other antitrust cases the EU might or might not have against M$.

Your perception of Americans is pretty funny. You should come on TS and play some BF3. I am willing to bet you will see we are no different then most Europeans. We have a lot more in common then you could ever imagine. However you should read 1984. Every power needs a common enemy. The EU was formed to go against American economic power. In doing this you are gonna paint your alternative as "evil". So I'm gonna ask again......come on TS with us. Play a few rounds and have some fun. It might open your eyes some. As it is now you just sound like a bigot.

As for MS I agree they should pay the fine since they agreed with it. My point is the fine isn't justified and SCREAMS corruption and money grabbing. It needs to be even handed. Instead they mailed them a bill.

Oh and FYI I know way more then 10 Europeans.

EDIT: What ego are you talking about? I mean really. Im an American. I call myself an American. I was born in America. What would you have me call myself? Seriously you have a horrible perception of things. Americans are not anymore evil then any other culture. Are you mad about the Olympics?

Last edited:
System Name scrapper
Processor Intel i5-6600k @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb ddr4 @3000
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 EVGA SC
Storage 2x 500GB Samsung 850 SSD
Display(s) CrossOver 27" 1440p LG IPS @ 120Hz
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W
Troll troll troll trolllllllll!!!! Allll Europeans are giant trolls! Or atleast every one of the whole TEN i have met are, so therefore they all must be! Trollllll

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Bah, no need to explain it. If you know one thing about Americans, we don't really care about how the rest of the world "feels" about us. We're the best. The more I look into these objections from the EU, the more they look like the mafia. Just like the government in the US. Fascinating!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Bah, no need to explain it. If you know one thing about Americans, we don't really care about how the rest of the world "feels" about us. We're the best. The more I look into these objections from the EU, the more they look like the mafia. Just like the government in the US. Fascinating!

Spoken like a BOSS. :laugh: I think hes mad about the Olympics.

Benetanegia

Your perception of Americans is pretty funny. You should come on TS and play some BF3. I am willing to bet you will see we are no different then most Europeans. We have a lot more in common then you could ever imagine. However you should read 1984. Every power needs a common enemy. The EU was formed to go against American economic power. In doing this you are gonna paint your alternative as "evil". So I'm gonna ask again......come on TS with us. Play a few rounds and have some fun. It might open your eyes some.

You are not understanding anything. I don't have anything against US people. I have something about their most common political and economic ideals. I know many people who are pro Francisco Franco's regime and you know what? They are beatiful people to deal with in everyday relations, as long as their ideals don't create a situation that ends up hurting you. i.e everytime they vote. And that's the overall behavior of the US citizens, because of their constant support to a political and economical line that only helps their system and hurts everone else.

But it's not a place to discuss this so let's just leave it at that.

I read 1984 when I was 11. And at least twice again when older. AS to the rest. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? lol now that's the only thing left. HAHAHA. :roll: OMG. So I did something, apparently, you accused me so you know what it's suposed to be. And 2 post later you do the same, yet worse, multiplicated by 100x. We are raised to hate the US right? The EU is The Party right? Because we are commies right? OMG. And you blame me for "putting you in a bag", for "tying" you to an ideology. OMG. I have no words really.

EDIT: America is more than the US. I talked about US citizens, which you equaled to americans in your response. I've not spoken a word about Argentina, just to name one country. But apparently according to you, I did? I mean I am an anti-american commie right?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You are not understanding anything. I don't have anything against US people. I have something about their most common political and economic ideals. I know many people who are pro Francisco Franco's regime and you know what? They are beatiful people to deal with in everyday relations, as long as their ideals don't create a situation that ends up hurting you. i.e everytime they vote. And that's the overall behavior of the US citizens, because of their constant support to a political and economical line that only helps their system and hurts everone else.

But it's not a place to discuss this so let's just leave it at that.

I read 1984 when I was 11. And at least twice again when older. AS to the rest. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? lol now that's the only thing left. HAHAHA. :roll: OMG. So I did something, apparently, you accused me so you know what it's suposed to be. And 2 post later you do the same, yet worse, multiplicated by 100x. We are raised to hate the US right? The EU is The Party right? Because we are commies right? OMG. And you blame me for "putting you in a bag", for "tying" you to an ideology. OMG. I have no words really.

...and with that, you have explained why many Americans hate America as well.

**V That's what I'm describing MM.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Francisco Franco would love the EU.

...and with that, you have explained why many Americans hate America as well.

I don't think anyone hates America or its ideals. I think they hate its government......which I can get on board with.

Benetanegia

I don't think anyone hates America or its ideals. I think they hate its government......which I can get on board with.

See how you can't help it? What government? Government or governments? And which ideals? Certainly Hugo Chavez doesn't share the ideals of the US government...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
See how you can't help it? What government? Government or governments? And which ideals? Certainly Hugo Chavez doesn't share the ideals of the US government...

The US government in its current form isn't what America was founded on. It has a LOT more in common with Fidel Castro then George Washington today.

TheMailMan78

Big Member

Benetanegia

Oh really? Teach me!

America is a continent. It always existed, since Pangea broke up. Many cultures lived there since the homo sapiens somehow reached there and prospered. Many many many years later, in a timespan that will be seen as irrelevant and short 5000 years from now, less than 300 years (being overly generous) a country was formed from several independent states. End.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Holy shit!

I didn't realize that when I deployed to Iraq, that I had ruined it!

Had I known that, I would have picked a different war!

EDIT: Those independant states are good at kickin some EU ass! Source: 'Merican History.

I can understand why the commission is jealous.

Last edited:
System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
America is a continent. It always existed, since Pangea broke up. Many cultures lived there since the homo sapiens somehow reached there and prospered. Many many many years later, in a timespan that will be seen as irrelevant and short 5000 years from now, less than 300 years (being overly generous) a country was formed from several independent states. End.

North America is a continent, yes. The United States of America is a country. As far as I've encountered, people outside of the United States refer to us as "Americans," not "United State-ians." I don't understand why you find it offensive that people that live in the United States of America are referred to as Americans, or that we call ourselves Americans.

People that live in other countries in North America are known by their country. People from Canada are Canadians, Mexicans are from Mexico, Panamanians are from Panama, etc. Are those just as terrible? It's called nationalism, pride in ones country.

Benetanegia

North America is a continent, yes. The United States of America is a country. As far as I've encountered, people everywhere refer to us as "Americans," not "United State-ians." I don't understand why you find it offensive that people that live in the United States of America are referred to as Americans, or that we call ourselves Americans.

People that live in other countries in North America are known by their country. People from Canada are Canadians, Mexicans are from Mexico, Panamanians are from Panama etc. Are those just as terrible?

I don't find it offensive. :laugh:

I said it's because of the ego of a country that thinks is the be all end all of everything, that it has come to be that way (calling themselves Americans as if they were the representation of America). It's not people really, it's just that those traits are part of the culture. US citizens always bitch about their government (like the rest of the world), but if non "american" people says anything related, well, you have this thread. In my experience ask any european, i.e. a Spaniard and (s)he will tell you "yeah my country/government sucks". You guys always find a BUT... you might say it sucks at some point, but somehow it is the best in the world and this thread is the only proof I need. And not only on politics, it's everything and not only in people's behavior it's the art too. Books, movies... USA thinks it's the best thing ever in history and does not hesitate to tell the world how awesome (not) you are. You suck, just as the rest of the world. ;)

Spain sucks and the EU sucks, but from time to time they do something right, like pursuing anti-competitive behaviors. It's not just M$. They are investigating Google (and offered something similar to what they offered M$ to avoid proceedings and the fine. What? Google's money is not as good as M$'s?). Apple. Samsung. Gazprom, Intel was already punished...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I don't find it offensive. :laugh:

I said it's because of the ego of a country that thinks is the be all end all of everything, that it has come to be that way (calling themselves Americans as if they were the representation of America). It's not people really, it's just that those traits are part of the culture. US citizens always bitch about their government (like the rest of the world), but if non "american" people says anything related, well, you have this thread. In my experience ask any european, i.e. a Spaniard and (s)he will tell you "yeah my country/government sucks". You guys always find a BUT... you might say it sucks at some point, but somehow it is the best in the world and this thread is the only proof I need. And not only on politics, it's everything and not only in people's behavior it's the art too. Books, movies... USA thinks it's the best thing ever in history and does not hesitate to tell the world how awesome (not) you are. You suck, just as the rest of the world. ;)

Spain sucks and the EU sucks, but from time to time they do something right, like pursuing anti-competitive behaviors. It's not just M$. They are investigating Google (and offered something similar to what they offered M$ to avoid proceedings and the fine. What? Google's money is not as good as M$'s?). Apple. Samsung. Gazprom, Intel was already punished...

Someone has an inferiority complex. Don't worry lil' buddy, you're a winner in my book!

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon

hehehe, good point!!

The communists never died, they just reinvented themselves lol.:laugh:

Benetanegia

First and foremost, you clearly don't know what inferiority complex is.

Someone has an inferiority complex.

And there's the ego once again. You could deny it (even to yourself) all day long and still would be there forever. Don't worry, it's not your problem, you were raised like that. The entire movie and game industry revolves around that too.

Someone has an inferiority complex, somewhere, I guess that's true. Someone somewhere wears a hat too, I guess, both true statements. But as to the former keep looking, the only one showing inferiority complex here are the US members feeling they need to blame a foreign government body to excuse the behavior of "one of their own".

Now come on MM continue trolling, be a good troll (you've been doing it right so far, according to the manual I guess):

1- Fail to have a valid argument.
2- Don't address the current subject/post.
3- Change the subject. Divert. I'm sure at some point you'll feel like you succeeded in whatever you're trying to achieve. (not) ;)