• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Readies Seven Patches for Next Week

This coming Tuesday, on the first day of CES 2013, Microsoft it set to make available a new batch of bug-busting updates. The Redmond-based company will be rolling out seven patches - two rated 'Critical' and five 'Important' - that will address a total of 12 vulnerabilities. These updates target issues found in Windows, Office, .NET Framework, Developer Tools and Server software.

For a bit more info on the upcoming patches see the Advance Notification published here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Here's security bulletin for January 2013. Total 7 bulletins.

In a nutshell:

patch #1 is only for Win7 (Win 8 is not affected)
patch #3 is only for servers
patch #4 and 7 for .Net Framework

The funny thing is ... XP is the least affected OS this month.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Notice they are strangely quiet on the IE6,7,8 zero day exploit?

Not so quiet. They just said that they can't fix it yet.

Microsoft confirmed that Exodus had contacted it about the findings. "We are aware of this claim and have reached out to the group for more information," said Dustin Childs, group manager for Microsoft Trustworthy Computing.

ComputerWorld

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Given that there is a simple work-around for the problem, I wonder if they will even bother.
Not that important to me as I don't use those versions of IE for my personal work and one my older servers enhanced security is enabled.

EMET can save from that bug but I'm sure MS will fix that bug in February (even-numbered months have more patches) because many people still use XP.