• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wi-Fi lockdown.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Is it hard to secure my wireless router?I really am thinking someone might be using my bandwidth.It slows at times when I have the wireless router,...esp.at night.Like a few minutes ago it started this crap and then I switch back to my wired router and full speed is back?

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Is it hard to secure my wireless router?I really am thinking someone might be using my bandwidth.It slows at times when I have the wireless router,...esp.at night.Like a few minutes ago it started this crap and then I switch back to my wired router and full speed is back?

This happens for me too @ times, & I actually SUSPECT that @ night, when most folks are sleeping?

I think that many ISP/BSP's QoS 'throttle' bandwidth being used for some reason!

(Perhaps to let others in areas they MAY service that are still awake & across a timezone meridian (earlier in the day etc.) have MORE of their TOTAL available bandwidth - or just perhaps to perform maintenances)...

BUT, it's just a theory...

:)

* Personally, were I an ISP/BSP? I'd actually consider doing it... provided I served a 'wide enough area' that is.

BUT, per what you just said in the 2nd 1/2 of your post (going back to wired router vs. wireless)?

This I know, happens -> That "Hacker/Cracker types" generally TRY to operate on areas they are trying to attack, when "nobody is around to see it"...

E.G.-> When a company is done w/ their workday, & their staff has gone home + has no 2nd & 3rd shift folks around to watch OR the individual they are after is most likely sleeping...

(Still, I doubt you're being attacked, or rather, it is less likely IF this is a NOT a CONSISTENT thing for you over there where you are... but, it could be, per what you say & HOW you describe it though)

You might want to consider the "layered security approach" & supplement your router's NAT 'firewalling' abilities via:

• TURN OFF JAVASCRIPT & JAVA in your webbrowsers (routers face hijack, a thread about this delineates javascript attacks on routers like mad in bogus webpages VERY RECENTLY in the NEWS section here)
Computer Routers face Hijack Risk:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25734
  • Use the "Securing your Services HOW TO" sticky thread for more security on those, I updated it today with a VERY GOOD tip from the folks @ BELARC ADVISOR who visited us the past couple days @ my behest/invitation, per the test we ran here using it recently. See here instead, as it cuts thru some "FAT" of others who used its responses (GOOD UNIVERSALLY) & proofs I used backing it, etc. & just lists the 'meat' nice & lean of the how to do it -> http://reference.techpowerup.com/Securing_Windows_Services & epsecially the FIRST & LAST PAGES (as of this date 03/08/2007)
  • Use a CUSTOM HOSTS FILE (one is in the Recommended Programs Sticky Thread I authored which blocks bannerads which can & HAVE housed malware script attacks several times over the last couple years now & SPEEDS YOU UP by not loading adbanners & more if you add your fav sites to it, fully documented inside & editable by YOU using notepad.exe to do so) here is the URL to where it is, fairly big 'hit here recently -> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=17777&page=4 & it is in that thread attached as a zipfile with install directions etc.
Microsoft apologises for serving malware

http://apcmag.com/5382/microsoft_apologises_for_serving_malware_to_customers

:(

This is by no means, a first either in scripted adbanner attacks... it's happened QUITE A FEW TIMES the past few years!

The use of a CUSTOM HOSTS FILE not only can speed you up, also secures you against times your routers are under attack, or IF YOUR ISP/BSP's DNS SERVERS GO DOWN (per this URL from another thread here & from SLASHDOT DATA AS WELL)

SLASHDOT - DNS Root Server under attack:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/2238225
  • Patch YOUR OS, & keep it current on that note
  • Keep an UP TO DATE AntiSpyware program around
  • Keep an UP TO DATE AntiVirus program around
  • Keep rootkit detectors around
  • Don't open EMAIL ATTACHMENTS FROM JUST ANYONE, & scan attachments w/ an up-to-date AntiVirus program
  • Make your email reader use TEXT or Rich Text Format (RTF) INSTEAD OF HTML as its default reading format
  • Patch your router w/ the LATEST/GREATEST Flash for its PROMS
  • Use a software firewall WITH your NAT router - doable & a GOOD idea
  • Use Port Filtering (noted how to do it, easy, directions, are DIRECTLY below this part, take a peek a few lines down) often called the "poor man's firewall" & it works WITH Software Firewalls & hardware NAT 'firewalling' routers too, concurrently/simultaneously
==========================================
IP PORT FILTRATION: BOTTOM-LINE/HOW TO DO IT:

When & IF you do try it?

Allow in what you feel ports wise on Tcp part (I let in 80/8080 & that's it, sometimes 443) & on the UDP part I usually do ALLOW ALL, but @ times not... & on the IP section, use 16 & 7 (one is the UDP & the other is the TCP portion of Tcp/IP)...

* NOW, if you run mail servers or other apps that require INGRESS initiated externally by other programs (say email or ftp servers)? Punch holes into that, & add the ports they use...

(Again - Port Filtering works FINE w/ hardware & software firewalls, running simultaneosly (I have been running this way since 1999, & it works, for layered security))... apk

There is more, in the way of some pretty estoric registry hacks, I have them if you wish, & here they are:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4214&d=1161958545

THESE ARE FULLY INTERNALLY DOCUMENTED TOO - From sources like Microsoft, Secunia, Security Focus, & myself: SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS THEY DO, fully, & they have the source URL's from said organizations in them for reference too

This list? It's pretty good!

APK

P.S.=> The part that doesn't fit w/ my 'theory' here, is that MOST BroadBand Service Providers (BSP's) are 'locked' into geographic areas they serve, like CableVision is, & afaik, as of 2003?

They were #3 in size during the nation, but ONLY IN TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP, not geographic area they served...

NOW, however, larger ones that serve a wider area?

THEY MAY NOT BE & MIGHT ACTUALLY CROSS TIMELINE ZONES/MERIDIANS & doing this might provide better service to folks that would not be 'crashed out'/sleeping!

... & to QoS throttle the ones that ARE sleeping?

Would allow MORE BANDWIDTH TO THOSE THAT ARE AWAKE STILL & MASSIVELY USING THE TOTAL BANDWIDTH THE BSP PROVIDES... apk

Last edited:
System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
You are the man.I am getting busy now with your recommendations!

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
You are the man.I am getting busy now with your recommendations!

Go for it... you do all that? You'll score what I did in the BELARC ADVISOR & CIS Internet Security tests I did this past week or two here...

(Heck, as of today, per my discussions with BelArcGuy? You'll pass my 5.00/10 on BELARC ADVISOR & my CIS tool score of 72,991/150/23)...

:)

* Especially because of the SHEER IMPROVEMENT to the securing your services thread... as of tonite in fact!

APK

Last edited:

Alec§taar

ex_reven

ALSO
Ensure your router is set up correctly. Some wireless routers allow you to determine the speed, wavelength and stuff like that (at least as far as my wireless router is concerned). Maybe someone else with wireless is using the same channel as you, for instance.

That, coupled with the fact that you may close your doors at night so as not to disturb others in the house may add up to slower response/less connectivity.

Unless your wireless access point and reciever are in the same room, which means you should be looking into other aspects i guess. Make sure youve changed default pw, setup encryptions etc. Although there are programs out there that are known to be able to break these encryptions, its better to attempt security than to repair a problem after its caused.
Prevention, after all, is better than cure :)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
dude, just setup WPA security. make it a really long passkey and even the most seasoned wifi hacker would have to spend days stealing your internets. you can even have the key change every few days if you want.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Also, turning on mac address filtering can help. It will deter all but the seasoned hackers.