• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] Gargoyle Castle Wall

Rascula

To view this case mod, go here.

Specs:
AMD A10-5800K
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB SC
COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
8GB Corsair Vengeance
250GB WD (Old but still works)
3TB WD Caviar Green
Apevia 500Watt P.S.
Lite On Ihes112-04 BD-ROM
Toshiba 24' 1080P LED TV

Mods:
Drilled and Dremeled side panel to flush mount the gargoyle lamp, painted the case, reassembled everything.

My nephew was going to throw away his old COMPAQ Presario SR5130NX so for $h!ts and giggles I took it from him and brought it home to play with. I stripped everything out and broke the case down to all of its components. I primed it with Krylon grey primer and then used Krylon dark grey stone paint to get the stone look and texture. My wife then drew the lines for the brickwork out using a silver paint marker and then went over that by hand with a dark blue acrylic oil paint. (She can take all the credit for the lines and shading as I definitely have caffeine shakes and couldnt have pulled it off). I drilled a few holes and had to Dremel a large one behind the gargoyle's pedestal to run the electric for the bulbs (I have had a couple of those Gargoyle Halloween decorations for 17 years and finally found a way to display at least one of them year round). I used some nuts and bolts to mount the gargoyle to the side and then ran the electric cord for the bulbs out the back through an unused PCI port. Eventually, I will try to run the bulbs off the power supply but thats not a big deal right this moment. The brickwork for the blu-ray drive isnt finished yet as I was hesitant to strip it down and paint it to look stone as well but now that it is done, it will also be given brick lines soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranse

I voted 8/10 because:

This is a true inspiration I like the art work and its original thought this is the only one like it on this site.

G

Gamer974

Cool case, its always nice to see old cases re-used and not thrown away

C

CrazyCranberry

I agree with both Ranse and Gamer974, you dont see much else on here anymore other than water-cooled guts in newer cases, ......some but not much. Props for recycling old equipment to make fresh and new again, a creative way to keep the landfills clear of equipment that can still be put to good use. I think that is what is being missed by some of the reviewers on here. Not everything has to have clear panels and its innards exposed. While I only gave it a 6, that is because its incomplete per Rascula's description, finish the job and we can visit the issue again.

System Name "Dark Wind"
Processor Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.336v
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximum Gene-Z
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AS5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 1600mhz 2 x 4gig
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gig
Storage Western Digital Black Cavier 640gig AALS/ Samsung 840 Pro 256gig
Display(s) Dell U2412M / Viewsonic VX2025WM
Case Cooler Master HAF XB
Audio Device(s) SB X-fi Titanium PCI-E
Power Supply Corsair AX860 Platinum
Software Windows 7 64 bit Premium Home
ROFL! Now THATS's something new! Ingenious idea!