• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next Generation USB Connection Definition Underway

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group today announced that the development of the next generation of USB connector has begun. The new USB Type-C connector, built initially on existing USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 technologies, is being developed to help enable thinner and sleeker product designs, enhance usability and provide a growth path for performance enhancements for future versions of USB. This supplement to the USB 3.1 specification is anticipated to be completed by the middle of next year.

Key characteristics of the USB Type-C connector and cable solution include:
  • An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
  • New smaller size - similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
  • Usability enhancements - users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
  • The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
  • Scalability - the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance

As the new USB Type-C plug and receptacle will not directly mate with existing USB plugs and receptacles (Type-A, Type-B, Micro-B, etc.), the Type-C specification will define passive new-to-existing cables and adapters to allow users to use their existing products.

"While USB technology is well established as the favored choice for connecting and powering devices, we recognize the need to develop a new connector to meet evolving design trends in terms of size and usability," said Brad Saunders, USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman. "The new Type-C connector will fit well with the market's direction and affords an opportunity to lay a foundation for future versions of USB."

"Intel is excited to see the development of the new thin Type-C connector as it will enable an entirely new super thin class of devices from phones to tablets, to 2-in-1s, to laptops to desktops and a multitude of other more specific usage devices," said Alex Peleg, Vice President, Platform Engineering Group. "This new industry standards-based thin connector delivering data, power and video is the only connector one will need across all devices."

"The new Type-C connector furthers USB's lead in addressing customer desire for more flexibility and higher performance," said Roland Sperlich, TI Consumer and Computing Interface Product Line Manager. "This allows USB to increase performance and continue to deliver ease of use to several evolving product categories for years to come."

The USB Type-C specification is targeted for industry review during the first quarter of 2014 and a final specification is expected to be published by the middle of 2014.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The not quite amazing rig
Processor AMD FX-6300@stock
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 plus
Cooling stock
Memory 8GB PNY DDR3 @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr HD 7850@stock
Storage Samsung Spinpoint 1TB@7200RPM
Display(s) iiyama Prolite E2208HDD
Case Shitty gigabyte case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Zalman 80+ 600W PSU
Software Windows 7, Crunchbang.
This better be a couple times sturdier than the current revision of microUSB. I've had three chargers that stopped working, total BS.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Usability enhancements - users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in"

About damn time.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I won't be happy if the new connector design requires expensive components and significantly increases cable costs. USB 3.0 cables are already significantly more expensive than USB 2.0 cables.

What I am disappointed with is that the type C connector will not maintaining any sort of backwards compatibility with type B connectors (without an adapter). I guess a clean break has to be made at some point, but that is a break from how USB has evolved, emphasizing backwards and forwards compatibility.

Last edited:
System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
I won't be happy if the new connector design requires expensive components and significantly increases cable costs. USB 3.0 cables are already significantly more expensive than USB 2.0 cables.

What I am disappointed with is that the type C connector will not maintaining any sort of backwards compatibility with type B connectors (without an adapter). I guess a clean break has to be made at some point, but that is a break from how USB has evolved, emphasizing backwards and forwards compatibility.

I think what you're trying to say is...we don't want usb to become another lightning interface.

While the standards' acceptance and proliferation make this a lesser concern (at least eventually), the later part of your post it's difficult to say isn't only true, but certainly also likely fallout of the lightning interface.