• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7 "Haswell-E" to Launch in Q3 2014

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I've always hated the term "Rig". It seemed rather childish to me or maybe a little ignorant. It's the same term some drug addicts use to refer to the end product / preparation of some types of narcotics.

I much prefer the term "system" or to just call it what it actually is rather then some slang term.

As much as I enjoy going off topic (I do agree, I like calling it a "computer" :p), try to at least have something to add to the current topic so we don't digress.

Well H-E/X99 could be interesting option for upgrade from X58. Will wait for official tests.

BTW: It is really humorous reading of people complaining about new sockets every year or two. Of course it's not ideal., but....

My question is: who orders/forces you to switch setups every 6 months?
Answer: Nobody.

From X58 user point of view. I couldn't care less about anything CPU-related on the market right now. First worthwhile option maybe X99/LGA2011-3. X58 will be 6-7 years old 2014/15, but still extremely potent, that is very long run of excellent platform (and all my X58 systems will run until they literally die). And even if I switch to X99 I will do that with premise that I will buy most powerful system available so it will last for next decade, no problems.

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Happy I waited for this with my LGA1366 socket :rockout:

System Name KC
Processor Intel Core i7 5820K
Motherboard Asrock X99M Killer
Cooling Corsair H75
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) Evga GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage 2 x Crucial MX100 512GB in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 24" ultrasharp circa 2006
Case Lian Li midtower
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio is first class
Power Supply Seasonic gold 750w
Mouse Logitech Laser G5
Keyboard Logitech low end
Software Windows 8.1
Benchmark Scores Firestrike 11996
aWhy all the comments re new sockets, what a waste of space it's been 5 or 6 yeas since X58 that's how long Intel has been introducing new sockets with processor launches, get use to it that's the way it is.

My X58 is now 4 years old and will be 5 at the launch of Haswell E, I didn't go for the x79 because at the time my X58 was only 2 and the performance increase in the X79 was pretty marginal and the PCH a dudski.

The X99 PCH has a number of advantages it will have 4 SATA 6g slots and 3 SATA express slots giving a genuine 10 SATA 6g slots, USB3 having an adequate 6 slots, means with the inclusion of INTEL LAN in the chipset 90% of boards sold won't need any other company troublesome addons and I wouldn't advise anybody to waste their money on uber overpriced boards that offer addon SATA/USB3 slots, forget the snipers and rampage extreme's. Overclocking is highly overrated, and with todays boards totally unnecessary.

The addon that's really needed is a creative sound core.

The X99 will finally allow SSD's to run at their optimal speeds on an express x4 lane.

The usefulness of SLI and Crossfire will totally fade way with the power of new cards introduced around the same time as the X99, so even a Micro ATX would suit most users, if integrated sound core was on the main board.

I will buy the lower end 8 core for $500 and something bucks, buy a cheaper micro ATX with sound core addon, buy a 1 TB SSD, DDR4 at 2133, a new Maxwell card and water cooler the rest of the stuff I will recycle.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I want to see what X99 is capable of before I make judgement.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Either too much money or trolling.
And here I still sit with my 2008 M3A32-MVP with its third processor, second GPU, and second set of memory.

ViruZ_HUN

@Aquinus @adulaamin
Very funny.
Another day another lame jokes. Didn't get it, eh lads?

The aging one is my Asus Rampage IV Extreme, not my 4960x.

Sigh...
bloody lads.

And it's not the Black Edition. It's the old red one, released in 2011, hence the reason I called it aging. But for good reason; like a wine, it gets better and better over time. But even a great wine won't last forever. Been two years and I really like to upgrade my x79. Once x99 is out it's time for me to semi-retire my Rampage IV Extreme workstation along with my Titans and DDR3 modules (assuming Haswell-E uses DDR4) and replace it with Rampage V or whatever bloody name Asus will call it. Why? Because I like it and I believe x99 will be better than x79. And if, because of the new board, I have to replace my 4960x as well then so be it. 8 core for 6 core is a good upgrade. Not to mention I will have a decent spare motherboard and CPU to build my own gaming rig (if I really need a workstation and a gaming rig) if I want to.

No offense, lads, don't mean to sound harsh or something but I'm not in the mood for joking right now. Good joke, but better luck next time.

@buildzoid
I'll go for the 8 core mate, not the 6 core. Extreme for extreme. Also I don't know why you brought that numbers. Those are for people involved in overclocking contests or benchmarking. Speed and reliability are important to me but I don't overclock to compete or compare stats with others. And it's not like I'm going to try to reach 8GHz with Haswell-E. I'm more interested in thermal and TDP than record-breaking speed.

@Kaynar @radrock
Would love to see how good Haswell-E will perform. I'm really curious about Intel's first 8 core.

I am currently running:

I7 2600 NON K
GTX 550 TI
12 gigs RAM of who knows
3 TB seagate( really luv seagate drives)

So i am waiting for Haswell-e too and i am looking for that cheaper 8 core one, seems to be well priced for the Preformence:D

I was thinking to get 4930k with a Rampage 4 black, But nah, I will wait for the real power which is really worth the money.

I Really hope that Haswell-e will support DDR3 (too). Since DDR4 is seems to be overpriced when it come sout, maybe even expensiver then the 8 core, lol

I personally want at least 16 gig DDR3/DDR4 becuce it makes non sense to go 8 gigs of ram with that power CPU and other high quality components. But i hope things in that time will be well priced even the ram and stuff.

Also i think for GPU i will get the strongest one if its well priced. IF the GTX 780 Ti is still strongest i get that.. Or IF GTX 880 turns out to be better for lower price, why not...

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Well, the mobo manufacturers make more money with new sockets since new mobos is requied:(

I doubt ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock and so on make a lot of money from Socket 2011 boards. They do however consolidate brand names, gain notoriety and stack awards, which nets them better margins in other markets on brand name alone.

orweaver

For me it's all about the temps. If they're no better than Haswell they can keep it. I'm not delidding a $1,000 chip.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I am currently running:

I7 2600 NON K
GTX 550 TI
12 gigs RAM of who knows
3 TB seagate( really luv seagate drives)

So i am waiting for Haswell-e too and i am looking for that cheaper 8 core one, seems to be well priced for the Preformence:D

I was thinking to get 4930k with a Rampage 4 black, But nah, I will wait for the real power which is really worth the money.

I Really hope that Haswell-e will support DDR3 (too). Since DDR4 is seems to be overpriced when it come sout, maybe even expensiver then the 8 core, lol

I personally want at least 16 gig DDR3/DDR4 becuce it makes non sense to go 8 gigs of ram with that power CPU and other high quality components. But i hope things in that time will be well priced even the ram and stuff.

Also i think for GPU i will get the strongest one if its well priced. IF the GTX 780 Ti is still strongest i get that.. Or IF GTX 880 turns out to be better for lower price, why not...

I'm curious as to what kind of improvements you think Haswell-E is going to have for gaming. Aside from an upgraded PCH and changes to the socket, skt2011-3 and Haswell-E won't perform much better per core than IVB-E does.

For me it's all about the temps. If they're no better than Haswell they can keep it. I'm not delidding a $1,000 chip.
Do some research first. IVB can have the headspreader removed, IVB-E can not. I suspect Haswell-E will be the same way.

orweaver

Do some research first. IVB can have the headspreader removed, IVB-E can not. I suspect Haswell-E will be the same way.

I'm aware of this. I'm saying that if they do indeed solder the IHS, then it's going to be quite a tempting chip.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm aware of this. I'm saying that if they do indeed solder the IHS, then it's going to be quite a tempting chip.
IVB is soldered but still runs hotter than its SB-E counter-parts. It's a result of die shrinks more than the heat spreader. Additionally, if heat and power consumption are your concerns, skt2011 with either SB-E, IVB-E, or Haswell-E are bad options imho. For gaming alone I think skt2011 is overkill.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Haswell will be soldered too. Many overclockers, reviews, will use Intel Extreme and they don't want to solder such expensive processors.
I would never remove IHS from any CPU, not Extreme. I think Haswell Extreme will be easier for cooling than Haswell 4770K, but with some proper cooler, water-cooling example.
I expect and better heat transfer on first place.