• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3+ CPU motherboard questions

System Name Red Hornet
Processor AMD FX 8320 3.9GHz
Motherboard MSI 760GA-P43 (FX)
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengance 16Gb
Video Card(s) GTX 780
Storage Samung EVO 840 120 Gb, WD Green 3Tb
Case MS-TECH Hornet (RED)
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
So i just bought a new motherboard to replace with one i already have which is the Asus M5a78l-m lx3. I am replacing it with an MSI 760GA-P43 (FX). The reason for this is that my current mobo does not support my cpu but the MSI one does (in it's CPU test list at least), i have been reading reviews on it and im getting some moxed answers, all i want to know is what do i have to do to get it going (i have an old fx 4100 if that helps) so basically im looking for a few answers:
1) how do i update the bios?
2) will i need to reinstall windows?

Please be friendly i have installed everything but a motherboard in my PC

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
  1. You should definitely re-install Windows. The reasons being is that is a major change of hardware that affects more than just the drivers Windows installs. It affects I/O, access speeds, etc. So yes, you want to re-install windows with such an upgrade. There are more reasons to do it as well such as stability issues to avoid and getting optimum settings.
  2. You can update the bios in a couple of ways. Most manufacturers allows flashing the BIOS from the BIOS/UEFI menu. Download the zip file and put it on the root of a flash/thumb drive or a CD/DVD [don't recommend this]. Insert the flash drive into one of the USB ports and select BIOS flashing in your BIOS/UEFI menu. Once there click on flash BIOS and it should read the attached drives and offer an option of the one that has the file. Flash it and you should be good to go. Also, if that motherboard supports the CPU you can just install everything, re-install Windows, and then download the BIOS update and then flash in Windows.
  3. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GA-P43--FX-.html#/?div=BIOS Link to BIOS. That's an older motherboard. If you're able go for one of these:
  4. http://us.msi.com/product/mb/880GMS-E41--FX-.html
  5. http://us.msi.com/product/mb/880GMA-E35--FX-.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

I usually don't reinstall until the 3rd mobo change...specially not when you will be using the same chipset...Lan and Audio is usually the only problems....You will have different PCI host drivers but windows should replace them and that should take care of most I/O issues......Just saying' Win7 since SP1 will configure for major hardware changes unlike previous version of Windows within a few boot ups almost as if you installed a SP......

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Yes, do a clean install. It's as much work to not do one. So why not have the board run its best the first time? And if it works don't worry about the bios

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
just check your manual, its there
if you dont reinstal it, its ok but i prefer reinstal

D

Deleted member 67555

The differences between the boards in this situation is cosmetic....I think altogether there is only 1 driver difference....and he has the choice to use AMD/ATI drivers or Asmedia...
This is not worth the time to do a reinstall....

He would Literally experience a larger driver change when going from the onboard GFX to a discrete GFDX card then he will go through between these boards....

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's my thing with re-installing. I've had issues with Win 7 (and Win 8) in not doing so. Probably something simple but honestly it doesn't take much time at all :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
That's my thing with re-installing. I've had issues with Win 7 (and Win 8) in not doing so. Probably something simple but honestly it doesn't take much time at all :)

+1 to the above.

It is possible to swap boards and get away with it BUT there are times when issues with the OS and the new board will happen such as driver conflicts with a different audio chipset, SATA controller, ect since different boards obviously do not use the exact same components from board to board.

I've had everything happen from no problem to an outright refusal to boot occur when I did a board swap with no fresh install of a new OS copy.

Also know that if you have Win 7 or Win 8, it stores the activation info within the boards BIOS, tying that copy to the board currently used with it. You can swap everything else around no prob but when you swap boards, it will trip the reactivation feature, requiring reactivation or a fresh install to be done.You might not have it trip the reactivation feature right away but believe me, it will sooner or later - Probrably way sooner.

Best thing to do is a fresh install of the OS BUT you can try it without doing that if you want, but just know you might run into problems once it's up and running - If it runs at all with it.

System Name My PC!
Processor AMD FX 8350 (4,66 GHz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator T2 DDR3 at 2133 MHz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 480 4G (1350 - 1900 MHz)
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1 and 2 TB (WDC Green)
Display(s) LG 24EA53VQ
Case Coolermaster HAF X (942)
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZX
Power Supply Corsair TX 950W
Software Windows 7x64 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP Professional SP3
Uninstall all drivers, such as Network LAN, GPU, Sound Drivers and Chipset Drivers. You can then swap the motherboards.
If you are using Windows 7 or newer it's very easy. After the swap you will enter safe mode and then you can use your pc without issues.
You don't need to make a clean install but you can repair the Windows installation. It's easy and you will have a new fresh installation without losing your settings and programs.
I've done it many times with no issues. Even with Windows XP.