• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SanDisk Announces Premium, High-Performance USB 3.0 Flash Drive

SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced the SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0 flash drive, featuring professional-grade performance with some of the fastest speeds in the industry at up to 60 times faster than standard USB 2.0 drives, and providing a generous 128 GB of storage.

"The SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0 drive offers world-class performance for technology aficionados who demand high-speed, durability and peace of mind that their files will be safe," said Philippe Willams, director of product marketing, SanDisk. "We are excited to be expanding our USB 3.0 solutions, and this is another example of our efforts to enable consumers with fast access to content and data."

The high-performance SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0 flash drive takes advantage of the next-generation specification by providing write speeds up to 240 MB/s and read speeds up to 260 MB/s. These speeds allow users to transfer a full-length movie in seconds, or 1,000 hi-res photos in less than 35 seconds, making the drive ideal for carrying video and photo collections. These are some of the reasons why USB 3.0-enabled device shipments will surpass two billion in 2016, up from approximately 600 million in 2013, according to Multimedia Research Group, Inc.

SanDisk's Extreme PRO USB 3.0 flash drive offers a sophisticated and durable aluminum metal casing, which protects against everyday wear and tear. Also included is SanDisk SecureAccess software that provides 128-bit AES file encryption and password protection to secure private files while leaving the rest of the drive visible for sharing.

Pricing and Availability
The SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0 flash drive is available worldwide now and on www.sandisk.com in a 128 GB capacity carrying an MSRP of $199.99. Additionally, the drive is backed with a lifetime limited warranty and world-class customer support.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I had the Sandisk Extreme 32GB and it was phenomenal even on USB 2.0. Until i accidently washed it in a laundry machine because i forgot it in the pants pocket. Tried baking it later to revive it, but all i managed to get was detect it in windows but couldn't do aynthing else with it. A shame as i really liked it. Also the slide mechanism is awesome. This one looks similar, though i prefered the all black Extreme more than this silver Pro (because it silver will wear off and it will look ugly).

this is basically an SSD in usb stick. Aaand double the price. I'd get a 4TB external drive with that price tag.

I don't think this device will be efficient. For example, I want to copy a big folder from a laptop with standard 2.5 HDD, the transfer speed should be capped around 40 - 80MB/s, the huge potential was wasted. Common people with average knowledge of IT would say "What the hell man ? you spent $200 for a 50MB/s device with just a tiny 128GB storage, you're clearly ripped off". My old 1TB external drive could do the same, with one fourth the price.

Those fast read/write potential can be achieved by transferring data from another SSD. The only reasonable usage of this device is to serve as system disk for portable OS. Then again, I don't think my FreeNAS could gain any visible benefit from it. Also, not every motherboard can boot from usb3.

Curious, why would people buy these

Last edited:
this is basically an SSD in usb stick. Aaand double the price. I'd get a 4TB external drive with that price tag.

I don't think this device will be efficient. For example, I want to copy a big folder from a laptop with standard 2.5 HDD, the transfer speed should be capped around 40 - 80MB/s, the huge potential was wasted. Common people with average knowledge of IT would say "What the hell man ? you spent $200 for a 50MB/s device with just a tiny 128GB storage, you're clearly ripped off". My old 1TB external drive could do the same, with one fourth the price.

Those fast read/write potential can be achieved by transferring data from another SSD. The only reasonable usage of this device is to serve as system disk for portable OS. Then again, I don't think my FreeNAS could gain any visible benefit from it. Also, not every motherboard can boot from usb3.

Curious, why would people buy these

I have the 64GB drive and it is the fastest i could find besides i think a single drive but that was like 150 bucks or whatever. I am curious if this is any better. There is still a lot of room to get better but i am finally content with my sandisk usb drive. I only recommend that one because it is 60-70 bucks for a 64GB drive and the speed makes it worth every penny

oh this is also the most useless press release....didn't tell me anything. Fail by sandisk and makes me think it is actually not any good....if it was good they would release real specs -_-