• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Philips 288P6LJEB Ultra HD Monitor Starts Selling

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Announced back in April, Philips' 288P6LJEB 28-inch Ultra HD monitor is now available in most North American and European markets. It's priced around US $750 (incl. taxes). Based around a TFT-LCD panel with LED backlit illumination that doesn't rely on PWM for adjusting brightness (doesn't flicker), the monitor offers its native resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels), with 60 Hz refresh rate, a stunning 1 ms response time, 160°/170° viewing angles (vertical/horizontal), 300 cd/m² maximum brightness, and dynamic mega contrast. Among its display inputs are dual-link DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI, and MHL.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
This is very tempting. Although I think its overpriced by $350.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Not IPS, so who cares.

Not IPS, so who cares.

Gamers do. UHD display with 1ms response time is not something casual. Sure it's 60Hz only but 1ms is really good for such high resolution. And something you can't ever achieve with IPS technology at the given time.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Why there are no more S-PVA panels produced?!

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
This is very tempting. Although I think its overpriced by $350.

I'd estimate its about ~$100 to ~$150 overpriced depending on the feature set. This is based on the fact that the Samsung U28D590D can be found for as low as about ~$599 at Microcenter and some other locations. So I am basing my estimate on competitive pricing current in the market using a baseline.

Would I like it to be less,...?

Sure but I don't see that as an unbiased or reasonable metric,....

Edit:

OK, just checked Amazon and they have the Philips 288P6LJEB for a preorder price of ~$599. Also the Philips 288P6LJEB has a fairly good stand (hight, tilt, swivel adjust) and a USB hub. So if it does indeed actually sell at that price it should force down the price of the Samsung U28D590D and is a great price IMO for a product of this type.

Not IPS, so who cares.

I care since I care about the overall technology, where the market is going, prices and so on. I'm sure I'm not alone in this either.

However, there are other 4K monitors coming down the pipe that are IPS such as the Asus PB279Q which is 27". Pricing on such an product is not yet set but I have heard it will be under ~$1000 USD. So that indicates a better screen, slightly smaller and priced a bit higher (possibly as much as about ~$400 more then a TN equivalent).

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Gamers do. UHD display with 1ms response time is not something casual. Sure it's 60Hz only but 1ms is really good for such high resolution. And something you can't ever achieve with IPS technology at the given time.

The difference between a 1ms, 2ms, and 5ms monitor is nigh impossible to tell. If I removed all branding and sat you in front of 3 with identical everything else, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

TN is as silly to keep beating on like an old horse. IPS is blatantly better, as most of us on here that have the ability to buy IPS, do buy IPS over TN every single time. The market needs to start pushing IPS innovation, and quit pinching pennies by selling the same old crappy TN panels. At the very least they need to make IPS more affordable. If they abolished TN tomorrow, and every factory making TNs made IPS instead, the price would drop on those panels like a rock, and the different manufacturers would be forced to make IPS with just as good response time.

The "gamers do" response is not even viable. Every monitor used for E-Sports events are IPS, Blizzard, LoL, DotA, CSGO.

I would happily accept your argument if you said "not everybody could afford IPS", or "budget gamers that want to be super serious and buy a 1ms 144hz monitor", but if the market did as it was supposed to, and stopped getting stuck in its rut, we might actually get somewhere with decent panel prices.

The monitor industry is going the same way as the GPU industry, charging $3000 for an item worth a quarter if not less.

I can tell a massive difference between 2ms and 8ms TN (not even IPS comparison!). If you don't notice it, you most probably aren't really a gamer. One of the reasons why i've gone investing into a 350 EUR ASUS 144Hz display. There is just no way any IPS can ever get even remotely close to TN panels. They just can't. And i can tell you from experience it makes massive difference in KD ratio. I literaly totally sucked with average/bad display where with 2ms 75Hz gaming monitor (old 5:4 but still performs great for really fast paced gaming), my scores soared sky high. When you see how monitor can make such huge difference, there is no way going back. You either have IPS for professional use and very casual gaming or you have a super fast display for gaming and you throw all the color accuracy and super wide viewing angles out the window. If you care so much for both, you'll just have both displays, each for one task it does well. Until they invent something that has image quality of IPS and response times of TN.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I can tell a massive difference between 2ms and 8ms TN (not even IPS comparison!). If you don't notice it, you most probably aren't really a gamer. One of the reasons why i've gone investing into a 350 EUR ASUS 144Hz display. There is just no way any IPS can ever get even remotely close to TN panels. They just can't. And i can tell you from experience it makes massive difference in KD ratio. I literaly totally sucked with average/bad display where with 2ms 75Hz gaming monitor (old 5:4 but still performs great for really fast paced gaming), my scores soared sky high. When you see how monitor can make such huge difference, there is no way going back. You either have IPS for professional use and very casual gaming or you have a super fast display for gaming and you throw all the color accuracy and super wide viewing angles out the window. If you care so much for both, you'll just have both displays, each for one task it does well. Until they invent something that has image quality of IPS and response times of TN.

I guess all those big money game tournaments that use IPS panels know nothing at all and all those professional players are just casuals then.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I would happily accept your argument if you said "not everybody could afford IPS", or "budget gamers that want to be super serious and buy a 1ms 144hz monitor", but if the market did as it was supposed to, and stopped getting stuck in its rut, we might actually get somewhere with decent panel prices.

Does anyone else really have to say it considering you just did. You said it probably because you know that there are exceptions to your argument just as there are exceptions to his general gamer argument.

I guess all those big money game tournaments that use IPS panels know nothing at all and all those professional players are just casuals then.

And because they use IPS screens, that makes them ultimate god monitors? Plz... If that was true, everyone would be rushing for those IPS screens they use there and ASUS and countless others would never ever even bother with TN screens. Very unlikely scenario...

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
And because they use IPS screens, that makes them ultimate god monitors? Plz... If that was true, everyone would be rushing for those IPS screens they use there and ASUS and countless others would never ever even bother with TN screens. Very unlikely scenario...

Just stop talking man, you will come across less ignorant that way

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Should be noted that manufacturer's claims of 1ms rarely are just 1ms when hardware testing. Much like the contrast argument of more is better, 1million vs. 20,000.

It's GTG rating, not BTB. It's not exactly new. But if TN panel uses the same ratings as IPS, then it's perfectly comparable. If not, we can then also question IPS's 8ms...

Why there are no more S-PVA panels produced?!

benq makes lots of MVA panels, yes even some announced this year in 2014, along with the random other brand that uses one of their panels

PVA specifically is only samsung & even when i was looking years ago in 2008, i rarely found PVA compared to MVA

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
You're overreacting. I play competitive CS on both my shitty screen laptop and also on my home monitor. Even the laptop screen is the worst TN ever produced, is just a matter of inconvenience, doesn't affect my scores at all. ;)

The fact that one plays competitive games doesn't automatically make them a benchmark for everything... what i'm trying to say is that if you play competitive matches and you suck, you can hardly be a benchmark for anything. Because i know that if someone is really good and you give them one tiny edge, even if it's measured in ridiculously small millisecond timings, they can benefit from it 10 folds compared to someone casual who won't even notice the difference.

I have the same exterior one, but with older 2500x1000 pixels. So far I am very happy. It has Overdrive response mode for gaming, NOT THAT i NOTICE IT, and you have to remember to select it, only fault so far! =8)

Of course a UW 32" with more pixels would be nice in a couple of years....

GraXXoR

I bought one of these after reading about the TN screen (which I usually choose for gaming) having a gtg of 5ms. It seemed reasonable, for gaming, indeed. And since I enjoy blender, the extra res would be useful... Aaaanyway...

*WARNING* It is a total waste of a gamer's deskspace. DO NOT CONSIDER THIS FOR MMO/TWITCH/REACTION/FPS or OTHER "ACTION" GAMES where REACTION SPEED is at all important.

(excuse the CAPS... it really IS THAT BAD)

Although the response speed of the panel is fast (with overdrive, there is little ghosting) It is meaningless when there is an INPUT LAG OF WELL OVER 100ms!

I have been playing elite dangerous and star citizen with a seriously twitchy force feedback joystick and was wiping the floor but after buying this, I am barely able to fly my ship in a straight line due to the screen delay. At 60Hz, we're talking at least 4 to 5 frames pipeline delay.

After buying this, I ran a triple screen, with "regular sub $200 TN" 27 inch 1080s on either side.

There is so much delay, that sometimes a ship I'm homing in on will disappear, as if behind the bevel of the display!

Alternatively, a ship will appear twice if it is transitioning rapidly from the hi res centre screen to one of the cheapies.

I have tried all the settings and find that the delay GETS WORSE AT LOWER RESOLUTION perhaps due to the extra scaling.

All in all, the PHILIPS 288P6 IS NOT, AND CAN NEVER BE CONSIDERED A GAMING MONITOR. AVOID IT OR REGRET (AS I DO).

Actually, it's bloody remarkable for Blender, though... LOL

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I agree with you, I recently jumped on board with an Asus PB278Q UHD display wit ha 1ms response along with a TN panel and to say the least its great. I have to agree as response times do make a difference especially to a gamer. You may not notice it as much if you have just one screen running and your already used to it, but switching does indeed provide results. I have used many TN and IPS panels and while IPS do display colors better overall and have a wider palit, I prefer to have quicker response because it does effect gameplay in Shooters (or other fast paced games). I have a very low response 1080p monitor (old and contains an IPS with a 6ms response I believe ill have to check which model it is) that ive tried taking to LAN parties and honestly I noticed it immediately in games like Battlefield while playing with friends. Its a huge difference to have a good response time for a game because it can be the difference between catching that person running around the corner at you and being the one shot.

The difference my friend is that everyone is on equal ground like that. Most game tournaments get sponsored by some company and as long as the device works well they do not care. If everyone is running the exact same monitor then everyone is at the same advantage or disadvantage. Now throw a few panels with a 1ms to a pro-team versus a team with monitors that have 5+ms and you will notice one team getting a clear advantage.

GraXXoR

Although the response speed of the panel is fast (with overdrive, there is little ghosting) It is meaningless when there is an INPUT LAG OF WELL OVER 100ms!

I have been playing elite dangerous and star citizen with a seriously twitchy force feedback joystick and was wiping the floor but after buying this, I am barely able to fly my ship in a straight line due to the screen delay. At 60Hz, we're talking at least 4 to 5 frames pipeline delay.

Ooops... with a 100ms delay and 60Hz, it's obviously a 6 frame delay. LOL. Sorry.

GraXXoR

Agreed. I use an old BENQ 5:4 1280 x 1024 monitor and its high refresh rate makes it great for MMO games which split second timing is required. TBH, though, I think the input pipeline and processing lag makes a far bigger difference than say, 8ms response, which is still less than 1 frame lag on @100 Hz.

Like I said below, my philips 288p6 4k monitor, although having "questionable" response of 1ms (more like 5ms) has an IPS-likew delay which WORSENS at lower input resolutions...

sorry for the multiple postings...