• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Details Newest Microarchitecture and 14 Nanometer Manufacturing Process

Intel today disclosed details of its newest microarchitecture that is optimized with Intel's industry-leading 14 nm manufacturing process. Together these technologies will provide high-performance and low-power capabilities to serve a broad array of computing needs and products from the infrastructure of cloud computing and the Internet of Things to personal and mobile computing.

"Intel's integrated model - the combination of our design expertise with the best manufacturing process - makes it possible to deliver better performance and lower power to our customers and to consumers," said Rani Borkar, Intel vice president and general manager of product development. "This new microarchitecture is more than a remarkable technical achievement. It is a demonstration of the importance of our outside-in design philosophy that matches our design to customer requirements."

"Intel's 14 nanometer technology uses second-generation Tri-gate transistors to deliver industry-leading performance, power, density and cost per transistor," said Mark Bohr, Intel senior fellow, Technology and Manufacturing Group, and director, Process Architecture and Integration. "Intel's investments and commitment to Moore's law is at the heart of what our teams have been able to accomplish with this new process."

Key Points:
  • Intel disclosed details of the microarchitecture of the Intel Core M processor, the first product to be manufactured using 14 nm.
  • The combination of the new microarchitecture and manufacturing process will usher in a wave of innovation in new form factors, experiences and systems that are thinner and run silent and cool.
  • Intel architects and chip designers have achieved greater than two times reduction in the thermal design point when compared to a previous generation of processor while providing similar performance and improved battery life.
  • The new microarchitecture was optimized to take advantage of the new capabilities of the 14 nm manufacturing process.
  • Intel has delivered the world's first 14nm technology in volume production. It uses second-generation Tri-gate (FinFET) transistors with industry-leading performance, power, density and cost per transistor.
  • Intel's 14 nm technology will be used to manufacture a wide range of high-performance to low-power products including servers, personal computing devices and Internet of Things.
  • The first systems based on the Intel Core M processor will be on shelves for the holiday selling season followed by broader OEM availability in the first half of 2015.
  • Additional products based on the Broadwell microarchitecture and 14 nm process technology will be introduced in the coming months.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Build # 5
Processor I9-9900K
Motherboard ASUS-ROG Maximus XI Hero wifi
Cooling Cosair H100i aio
Memory G.SKILL 128GB (4 x 32GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Intel XMP 2.0
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX-3090 FTW3
Storage XPG S40G 2TB RGB Nand Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) LG-65CX-Oled
Case Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio card & BOSE Quietcomfort 35 II headphones
Power Supply CORSAIR-HX-1050
Software WIN 10/64
  • "The first systems based on the Intel Core M processor will be on shelves for the holiday selling season followed by broader OEM availability in the first half of 2015."
  • And then finally to us (DYI)'s Merry Christmas 2016

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
Aside from the obvious new socket needed; if the current trend of 5% performance over the last generation is maintained, then I cant really see any reason to throw away this 3570k of mine any time soon.... shit, even my old Xeon 3520 rig is still doing pretty damn good when it comes to gaming performance....

Sad, really.

System Name Broken Butterfly.
Processor Intel Core i5-3570.
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE.
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
Memory 2x4gB Corsair Value Series.
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
Storage 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB (AAKX).
Display(s) Samsung BX2031.
Case CM Elite 334.
Power Supply Corsair CX 430.
^ EXACTLY.

A week or two ago, I was looking at some of the next gen Intel's "supposed" processor/architecture lineup. I see NOT A REASON to do away with my processor. People who OC, THEY are in MUCH better shape. The current gen is a huge shame!. Plus Intel's retarded 'change the base every 2 years' philosophy. All that does is cement me to my current setup.

A six core Intel is what I want at the current 4570/K price.

Last edited:
System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
And if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass a-hoppin.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I think that they need to explain "a new micro-architecture" a bit more before I can pass judgement on this.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Getting tired of intel.

Hope one day someone can overthrow them.

if its so area efficient then they may as well put 6 cores as standard instead of better graphics, lack of competition is really hurting the consumer

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
Getting tired of intel.

Hope one day someone can overthrow them.

what we need is the other chip companies to step up their game.

if its so area efficient then they may as well put 6 cores as standard instead of better graphics, lack of competition is really hurting the consumer

AFAIK the x99 chips come 6 core standard.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
A six core Intel is what I want at the current 4570/K price.
You cannot reasonably blame a lack of competition for keeping >4 core CPUs from the mainstream.

The problem is that the mainstream market doesn't use applications that can consistently load >4 cores. Most enthusiasts can't even provide justification for having >4 cores. Simultaneously, the mainstream is demanding increased graphics performance. This means that it would be a poor business decision to focus upon adding more cores, exactly what most consumers cannot use, as opposed to graphics. AMD took that approach with its FX CPUs, and those chips never became big sellers because it's a design directly opposed to what the market demands, mobile devices.

It's not a conspiracy that both AMD and Intel have the same mainstream strategy (keep low core counts; improve graphics instead). If you add more competitors to the market you will get lower margins and thus lower prices for consumers. However, you still won't have companies designing mainstream-priced 6-core CPUs because adding competitors doesn't change the fact that there still isn't a large market to sell them to. If this weren't true then Intel's (currently available) 8-core Atoms would be flying off the shelves.

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
14 nm? so can we expect something that has more power and lower power consumption now?

Case CM Elite 334.
You cannot reasonably blame a lack of competition for keeping >4 core CPUs from the mainstream.

The problem is that the mainstream market doesn't use applications that can consistently load >4 cores. Most enthusiasts can't even provide justification for having >4 cores. Simultaneously, the mainstream is demanding increased graphics performance. This means that it would be a poor business decision to focus upon adding more cores, exactly what most consumers cannot use, as opposed to graphics. AMD took that approach with its FX CPUs, and those chips never became big sellers because it's a design directly opposed to what the market demands, mobile devices.

It's not a conspiracy that both AMD and Intel have the same mainstream strategy (keep low core counts; improve graphics instead). If you add more competitors to the market you will get lower margins and thus lower prices for consumers. However, you still won't have companies designing mainstream-priced 6-core CPUs because adding competitors doesn't change the fact that there still isn't a large market to sell them to. If this weren't true then Intel's (currently available) 8-core Atoms would be flying off the shelves.

Thank You. I stick with my 3570 then. :D

If any mid to major app can't use 4 cores, the developers should be fired. In this day and age, multi threading should be the base line, the standard, the norm.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
so this is Broadwell? or the next one after BW?

i just bought a Maximus VII Ranger (due to the compatibility with Broadwell, hum ... not really in fact :roll:) and a i5-4690K well i think i might be able to hold them for a while so... :D

Additional products based on the Broadwell microarchitecture and 14 nm process technology will be introduced in the coming months.
oh i see ... well let's just hope the Z97 compatibility with BW will not be "words in the wind"

The problem is that the mainstream market doesn't use applications that can consistently load >4 cores.

you need both sides to drive innovation, the broad implementation of applications supporting multicores and a good set of people with multicore processors to motivate the development of software

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
you need both sides to drive innovation, the broad implementation of applications supporting multicores and a good set of people with multicore processors to motivate the development of software

Explain this because as a developer it sounds like rhetorical nonsense. Do you write multi-threaded code? I get the distinct impression that you think it's easy to make concurrent software when that is definitely not the case. It's not always a matter of motivation. Some applications can only be made to run in parallel so much and an application with mostly code that has to run serially won't benefit from more cores, regardless of the different ways you develop it.

Either way, if you have shared state in your application there is no getting around this issue because coordinating state between threads takes time and CPU cycles, not to mention if you're updating information other threads need to know about, you need to be able to "lock" that variable to prevent deadlock or race conditions. So instantly your multi-threaded application has serial limitations, so it could be running on 10 threads but might not utilize more than 2 cores.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Explain this because as a developer it sounds like rhetorical nonsense. Do you write multi-threaded code? I get the distinct impression that you think it's easy to make concurrent software when that is definitely not the case. It's not always a matter of motivation. Some applications can only be made to run in parallel so much and an application with mostly code that has to run serially won't benefit from more cores, regardless of the different ways you develop it.

Either way, if you have shared state in your application there is no getting around this issue because coordinating state between threads takes time and CPU cycles, not to mention if you're updating information other threads need to know about, you need to be able to "lock" that variable to prevent deadlock or race conditions. So instantly your multi-threaded application has serial limitations, so it could be running on 10 threads but might not utilize more than 2 cores.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

For all the people who advocate more cores, I think it's worth nothing that this isn't a chicken and egg scenario. There's no hardware limitation stopping developers from developing code that is extremely parallel; with context switching you can still run highly parallel code on fewer core(s) than there are threads.

Remember that the ultimate goal is to increase performance. It doesn't matter how many cores your software can use; if for the same amount of time expenditure you can achieve greater performance gains by modifying code to run more efficiently (without regard to parallelism) than by going through the hassle of increasing parallelism, then the former is the better option.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

For all the people who advocate more cores, I think it's worth nothing that this isn't a chicken and egg scenario. There's no hardware limitation stopping developers from developing code that is extremely parallel; with context switching you can still run highly parallel code on fewer core(s) than there are threads.

Remember that the ultimate goal is to increase performance. It doesn't matter how many cores your software can use; if for the same amount of time expenditure you can achieve greater performance gains by modifying code to run more efficiently (without regard to parallelism) than by going through the hassle of increasing parallelism, then the former is the better option.

Right? It's amazing how people who aren't developers (or experienced multi-threaded developers,) think it's easy to write good multi-threaded code. Anyone can write a multi-threaded app, but if there is so much coordination that needs to be done, you could be using 20 threads and still only be using a single core worth or resources (scripting languages with a GIL make this very clear.)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Aside from the obvious new socket needed; if the current trend of 5% performance over the last generation is maintained, then I cant really see any reason to throw away this 3570k of mine any time soon.... shit, even my old Xeon 3520 rig is still doing pretty damn good when it comes to gaming performance....

Sad, really.

So you don't actually have to spends tons of cash every other year to have a fast system, how is that a bad thing?

Case CM Elite 334.

I conclude that you are better and have more knoowldge than Intel and AMD. ;)

Specially AMD as they threw the 8 core'r towards us.