• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Dominator DDR4 Memory Up For Pre-order

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Guys, for me DDR4 will be a very good choice for my RAMdrive. Because now the max will be 128GB, I know exactly what to use 120GB, for example, on my future 4.266Ghz DDR4 modules. 34GB/s.... Dat bandwidth! :)

128GB is then limit for 8 slots (starting off,) isn't it? So that would be 4 channels of DDR4 goodness which would be closer to 65-70GB/s. :p
Corsairs' target market is gamers, and of those, people willing to spend on a 2011 based system are a tiny fraction that is growing increasingly irrelevant.
People who are investing in skt2011 either:
A: Have money to spend and money burns a hole in their pocket.
B: Are going to be needing 40 PCI-E lanes to drive 3 or more PCI-E devices.
C: Have very specific demands for a workstation.

Also inside the small niche inside of a niche, most skt2011 owners probably don't strictly use their machine for games. I know I certainly don't, in fact gaming was an after-thought when I "upgraded" everything except my case and one of my GPUs.

The vast majority of socket 2011 based systems are mission critical, commercial and enterprise users whp will be using a Xenon based platform, which will also be DDR4, but error correction, density and cost are way more important than speed. Like a few posts back said, most still run DDR3 1333

First off, it's Xeon. Second of all, most skt2011 machines are servers and are owned by businesses. Of course they want stability, their businesses depends on it but to say it's more important than performance is rather short sighted. No level of stability will be important if the hardware can't finish a given task fast enough. Also if you invest in a skt2011 server today, IVB-E Xeons support Registered ECC memory at 1866Mhz and SB-E Xeons supported 1600Mhz as well and come the fall, it will have been 3 years since SB-E came out. So considering the next "bump" would be 2133Mhz which is where DDR4 starts, it seems natural that the next bump would introduce DDR4.