• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drobo Introduces the Drobo Mini 8 TB Four-Bay Storage Array

Connected Data, the creator of the award-winning Drobo line of smart storage solutions, today announces the immediate availability of its new Drobo Mini 8 TB bundle that provides customers with a massive amount of storage space in a small, rugged form factor.

The Drobo Mini 8 TB bundle features four hot-swappable 2.5" drive bays pre-loaded with four Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2 TB drives. Like all Drobo products, the Drobo Mini 8 TB bundle is built on the award-winning BeyondRAID Technology to ensure that data is not lost in the event of one or two simultaneous drive failures. If a drive does fail, the Mini automatically repairs itself and returns to a protected state while providing full access to all data. New drives can be added or swapped on-the-fly with zero downtime.

The Drobo Mini connects via Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 providing flexible, high performance access to data while on the road with the confidence to know that data will be safe and protected against loss. All of these features and capabilities come in a sleek-looking package that weighs just three pounds and is small enough to easily fit into any travel bag.

This combination of capacity and extreme durability makes the Drobo Mini ideal for photographers, filmmakers and other creative professionals who can quickly and easily transfer large multimedia files from their devices' media cards to the Mini while still on location.

"Lugging 8 TBs of storage to a photo or video shoot was a real challenge before now," said Rich Harrington, CEO of RHED Pixel and publisher of Photofocus. "While other companies may offer 8 TB options, they tend to lack portability and data protection. This makes other solutions impractical for field use by creative pros. The new Drobo Mini 8 TB bundle makes it easy to bring a tremendous amount of storage capacity anywhere we need it while still providing the peace-of-mind that comes with Drobo's unique approach against drive failure."

"The Drobo Mini is the ideal storage array for our new 2 TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T hard drives," said David Frankovich, Director PLM, Samsung HDD division of Seagate Technology. "We're able to provide Drobo users with the highest-capacity and thinnest storage solution available in today's market."

Pricing and Availability
The Drobo Mini 8 TB bundle is available today at an MSRP of $999 USD through www.drobostore.com and select channel partners.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
You too can own a small brick that will use a small underpowered ARM processor, that can BARELY handle 30Mb/s of transfer speed!

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
You too can own a small brick that will use a small underpowered ARM processor, that can BARELY handle 30Mb/s of transfer speed!

what the fuck are you talking about, my drobo mini does well over 100MB/s of transfer speed just fine.

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
what the fuck are you talking about, my drobo mini does well over 100MB/s of transfer speed just fine.

Oh so your test is to move 1 file? Try moving 5 million files with a good mix of sizes. How many drives are you using? How is it connected? USB or Tbolt? USB 3.0 is 5GBps and Tbolt is 10 GBps. So if your using the device fully populated with spindle drives or with just 1 SSD. Moving 1 file should have the write speed of 450 MB/s(depending on drive speed) because those interfaces shouldn't be slowing it down. Or maybe your copying from a slow drive. That might explain it.

Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Oh so your test is to move 1 file? Try moving 5 million files with a good mix of sizes. How many drives are you using? How is it connected? USB or Tbolt? USB 3.0 is 5GBps and Tbolt is 10 GBps. So if your using the device fully populated with spindle drives or with just 1 SSD. Moving 1 file should have the write speed of 450 MB/s(depending on drive speed) because those interfaces shouldn't be slowing it down. Or maybe your copying from a slow drive. That might explain it.

I'm using USB 3.0 with 4x 1.5TB spindle drive, first you are saying that the device is the bottleneck but now you are saying that storage medium is the bottleneck here, when you whine, at least stay consistent! Now you just look like a clown. I'm moving a 8GB file to test sustained read/write speed, which is what I'm assuming you are talking about when dealing with spindle drives , what, you want me to test random 4K with these? seriously? these are backup storage dude, they are used to hold data, what do you want from me?

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
I'm using USB 3.0 with 4x 1.5TB spindle drive, first you are saying that the device is the bottleneck but now you are saying that storage medium is the bottleneck here, when you whine, at least stay consistent! Now you just look like a clown. I'm moving a 8GB file to test sustained read/write speed, which is what I'm assuming you are talking about when dealing with spindle drives , what, you want me to test random 4K with these? seriously? these are backup storage dude, they are used to hold data, what do you want from me?

The device is the bottleneck, and for 999. It better perform a crap load better than 150Mb/s for the price point it's asking. Pardon me for wanted to get what I pay for? Freenas + Homebrew ftw, leave this garbage where it belongs. IN the trash.

We used one of the Drobo Full systems using 4 1.5 TB drives a few years back, it will get slowed down on any large file count workload due to the junk proprietary software and crappy raid processor. There are so many different better uses of resource something like just seems pointless.

The device is the bottleneck, and for 999. It better perform a crap load better than 150Mb/s for the price point it's asking. Pardon me for wanted to get what I pay for? Freenas + Homebrew ftw, leave this garbage where it belongs. IN the trash.

We used one of the Drobo Full systems using 4 1.5 TB drives a few years back, it will get slowed down on any large file count workload due to the junk proprietary software and crappy raid processor. There are so many different better uses of resource something like just seems pointless.

its $999 WITH 4x 2TB 2.5" spindle drive(yes those drives are expensive), can you even READ? Do you suffer from ADHD? you are seriously making a fool out of yourself here. the device itself is $339, this is a portable device for people who needs PORTABILITY. its compact, and its light, and provides more capacity and data redundancy at about the size of one of my 3.5 external enclosure. I can take it on the go, slide it into the side pocket of my laptop duffle bag, and I'm off on a plane, I can work while I'm on the road, what else do you want from something this simple? you don't even need to do all that technical crap you need with other NAS/DAS, the software is fully automatic, slide the drive in and it does everything for you, and it will connect to any computer without configuration or software. I can't ask for a better device at this price, if you still got more crap to say, show me a better device in this form factor at this price point.

PS. Oh and next time you try to spew a bunch of unfounded biased BS, BACK IT UP PLEASE!

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
I did back it up. I told you we used one of these, and the proprietary software is/was aweful. When you ship any storage system cost is a big factor, along with size/storage capacity/form factor no? Heaven forbid you need to write 2TBs of data, or read that information back. Because it will be sitting there, chugging along slow as crap. It took 20 days to copy a decently distributed file load to one of these, which was an embarrassment to our client. God forbid you ever have to explain that terrible performance to a client, let alone your Boss.

"you don't even need to do all that technical crap you need with other NAS/DAS, the software is fully automatic, slide the drive in and it does everything for you"

This where I leave you. Can you tell me what CPU it uses to process the raid? I can't seem to find it on there website. When a company goes at such length to hide technical specifications so i KNOW WTF I AM BUYING. I check out. Your right, if you need 6Tbs of capacity, but don't really ever need to read anything but smallish files, and your workload is minor. And you have 1k sitting around, this is the right device for you.

But for all that money, why not buy 2x6Tb external drives and sync them, the performance is the same lawl.

QNAP, netgear, Seagate and more make better NAS devices. Hitachi has it's pro Duo lineup for drive mirroring. All of which perform. But when you don't tell me what runs your raid. I stop caring. Because you don't want to understand how your raid is going to perform under different loads. Which 1k is alot for a device you don't really care about how well it performs. 10 years of 1TB drop box is cheaper, shit.