• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces the ROG GR8S Steam Machine

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
A fusion between PC hardware giant ASUS' Republic of Gamers (ROG) brand, and Valve's Steam Machines, was bound to happen. With the new ROG GR8S, ASUS has taken a plunge into the exciting new gaming platform that bridges living room gaming consoles, and full-blown gaming PCs, backed by Steam. The ROG GR8S is roughly as big as a modern console such as Xbox One, but features ASUS' signature red and black ROG product design.

The ROG GR8S is peppered with a lot more wired connectivity than a console, offering two USB 2.0 (for controllers, keyboards, mice), four USB 3.0 SuperSpeed ports, DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0 - both of support 4K Ultra HD at 60 Hz; gigabit Ethernet (Intel controller), digital and analog multi-channel audio connectivity. Under the hood, ASUS offers Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processors (options), GeForce GTX 900 "Maxwell" graphics (options), between 4 GB and 16 GB of DDR3 system RAM (options), either 500 GB to 1 TB HDD or 128 GB to 512 GB SSD storage, and an 802.11 ac WLAN controller with Miracast receiver.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core i7 9700KF @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S / NA-FC1+Noctua and Be Quiet! Fans
Memory Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 12GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe
Display(s) MSI G244F + Dell P1914S
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 Black
Audio Device(s) A] Onboard > Logitech Z623 B] Denon DRA-295 > JM Lab Cobalt 810
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W with APC 1400VA UPS
Mouse Asus Strix Carry + Corsair MM300
Keyboard Ducky One 2 TKL MX Silver
Software Win 10 64Bit
looks pretty sexy. but aren't steam machines just a way to make pc gaming possible for console gamers who don't have the brains to build and configure their own pc? pc gamers who build and operate their own gaming computers probably wont be interested in these things, i know i'm not. hell i don't even have a couch or living room, i live in a tiny studio apartment....

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Impressive feat for 2.5 liters of volume.

Last edited:
System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
Master race won't buy this. Peasants won't buy this either because they don't mind playing at sub-par resolutions and frame rates as long as their consoles are cheap, and their friends also play on the same platform. Also, there are too many options for steam machines which may confuse peasants. Sorry Lord Gaben, I don't see a future for steam machines.

Master race won't buy this. Peasants won't buy this either because they don't mind playing at sub-par resolutions and frame rates as long as their consoles are cheap, and their friends also play on the same platform. Also, there are too many options for steam machines which may confuse peasants. Sorry Lord Gaben, I don't see a future for steam machines.

What you fail to see is the concept. Having a PC instead of a console. It doesn't have to be as powerful as a high end desktop pc or as cheap as console. Its about having a more powerful device take over the living room space and evolve. Consoles at release are low-medium build pcs and most of the costs come from the OS development. Spending all that money on hardware, maybe more, slap on Steam OS and you got better gaming platform which you can maintain and upgrade. And yes I do release that this ASUS is expensive and doesn't have the best hardware but its still more powerful than a console. And the formfactor is amazing and to some might justify the cost. But let this idea grow and maybe someday we will stop seeing console ports and instead great games that will utilize more resources what a PC has to offer.

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
Its about having a more powerful device take over the living room space and evolve.

The problem is, you need a steam machine with at least a Core i3, + R9 270x to get the console level graphics. A steam machine with such a config will be more expensive than consoles.

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
What you fail to see is the concept. Having a PC instead of a console. It doesn't have to be as powerful as a high end desktop pc or as cheap as console. Its about having a more powerful device take over the living room space and evolve. Consoles at release are low-medium build pcs and most of the costs come from the OS development. Spending all that money on hardware, maybe more, slap on Steam OS and you got better gaming platform which you can maintain and upgrade. And yes I do release that this ASUS is expensive and doesn't have the best hardware but its still more powerful than a console. And the formfactor is amazing and to some might justify the cost. But let this idea grow and maybe someday we will stop seeing console ports and instead great games that will utilize more resources what a PC has to offer.

This is not a new concept at all. Living room PCs already exist in this time and age. We don't need steam machine just for that, since any PC can be hooked up to TV at almost no extra cost.

In theory SM should benefit from free OS that helps lower the cost, but judging from their release price I would say it's still not tempting enough.

I have to agree with hardcore_gamer here: existing PC gamers won't find it beneficial to have a console-like PC, because the reason they bought PC in the first place is that it doesn't have console's limitation.

This is not a new concept at all. Living room PCs already exist in this time and age. We don't need steam machine just for that, since any PC can be hooked up to TV at almost no extra cost.

Steam Machine is a new concept and is not aimed at us PC users. Its about having an operating system that has the ease of use with a controller but the hardware of something way more powerful. Some people just don't want play games on Windows.

In theory SM should benefit from free OS that helps lower the cost, but judging from their release price I would say it's still not tempting enough.

Yes right now it is more expensive but we need people to support this idea. Just a few years ago we were enjoying the console ports of 8-9 year old consoles. Since new components are released almost every second year you get a performance boost and developers can make more demanding games.

I have to agree with hardcore_gamer here: existing PC gamers won't find it beneficial to have a console-like PC, because the reason they bought PC in the first place is that it doesn't have console's limitation.

I see console limitations only in the hardware side. SM would take care of that.

System Name *havent named it*
Processor Intel i5 4670k @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Cooling Corsair H100i on CPU exhaust: one 120 rear fan intake: two 120 fans on front, one 120 fan on bottom
Memory 8GB Gskill 2133 RAM 2 sticks
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 reference
Storage ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256 gb ssd and Crucial MX100 512gb ssd
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2446m 24" LCD
Case CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced Gaming mid tower
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply FirePower 750W fatl1ty 80Plus Bronze semi-modular
Software win7 OS
LDNL does have a point more people need to get behind this and let it grow. It is a new concept after all. Can't see the potential of it until it is given the chance to take off and show what it can do. But also, there will be big hesitation from console gamers, I think, because the SM is basically a living room PC when you get down to it and a lot of them ( at least the ones I know) will not go for this because they think the parts of a PC have to be updated regularly. Which of course they don't but a lot of console gamers won't look into it because they say its too expensive to even look into. Honestly I'm excited to see where the SM will go once its given the chance to show its potential I think it'll be a really good deal for the living room gamer.

I think if Steam Machines can last and if Valve can convince enough publishers to keep doing SteamOS/Linux ports, then the concept may gain traction essentially the same way most things regarding Steam have. By sheer gravity.

Most people don't (and probably didn't until this weekend with the SteamOS sale) realize that Valve had been making it so they have a SteamOS/Linux library without even trying. If Valve can make a great majority of the titles you're buying anyway for Windows into games with SteamOS support, then eventually only the older games (that might be streamed or emulated in the future with superior hardware and continued software work) will be lacking.

Basically, Valve plays the long game. Sometimes, this works out and sometimes it does not. But the fact that they give these things away (ie., Steam broadcasting, Steam streaming, cards, Big Picture Mode, SteamOS, etc.) or anything they sell they sell for low prices (ie., a $50 rechargeable controller in an age of $60 controllers, a $50 streamer box with ethernet in an age of $100 streamer boxes without ethernet) should be a clear indication they aren't in this for the short term profits.

That makes them unique and also positioned to really profit because they'll stick to their long range plan regardless of profitability right now. The only question mark is essentially what Microsoft does to try and discourage publishers from supporting Steam. With Windows 10, they could make a renewed push to bring publishers back into the fold, the Windows Store, and give them a window into Xbox platforms across the board.

Unlikely, at least in the short term, but it could happen. This is precisely the doomsday scenario that Steam has been building SteamOS and Steam streaming up to counter, though.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The biggest thing Valve can do is continual advertising in mediums that average console gamer will see. That's the only way to ensure they get the long term slow and steady adoption by them.

They can't just put it out there and hope word trickles out.