• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Fiji" HBM Implementation Detailed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Back in 2008, when it looked like NVIDIA owned the GPU market, and AMD seemed lagging behind on the performance and efficiency game, the company sprung a surprise. The company's RV770 silicon, the first GPU to implement GDDR5 memory, trounced NVIDIA's big and inefficient GeForce GTX 200 series, and threw AMD back in the game. GDDR5 helped the company double the memory bandwidth, with lower pin- and memory-chip counts, letting the company and its partners build graphics cards with fewer components, and earn great margins, which the company invested in development of its even better HD 5000 series, that pushed NVIDIA with its comical GeForce GTX 480, to hit its lowest ever in market-share. Could AMD be looking at a similar turnaround this summer?

Since the introduction of its Graphics CoreNext architecture in 2012, AMD has been rather laxed in its product development cycle. The company has come out with a new high-end silicon every 18-24 months, and adopted a strategy of cascading re-branding. The introduction of each new high-end silicon would relegate the existing high-end silicon to the performance segment re-branded, and the existing performance-segment silicon to mid-range, re-branded. While the company could lay out its upcoming Radeon R9 series much in the same way, with the introduction of essentially just one new silicon, "Fiji," it could just prove enough for the company. Much like RV770, "Fiji" is about to bring something that could prove to be a very big feature to the consumer graphics market, stacked high-bandwidth memory (HBM).

HBM is being promoted as an upcoming memory standard by JEDEC, and AMD will be the first company to build an ASIC implementing it; with SK Hynix being among the first DRAM makers to build silicon for the standard. HBM is being brought in to address a key problem with GDDR5 - it's not being able to keep up with the growing video memory bandwidth demands of upcoming applications and the GPUs being built to drive them. AMD already has the fastest implementation of GDDR5 on its "Hawaii" silicon, which belts out 320 GB/s of memory bandwidth, but to get there, the company is having to use sixteen memory chips. Placed on a PCB, the ASIC along with the 16 memory chips take up quite a bit of real-estate - 110 mm x 90 mm (99 cm²).

GPU makers haven't managed to take clock speeds of GDDR5 above 1752 MHz (real), and the fact that they're having to use other ways to increase effective bandwidth, such as proprietary lossless memory compression, shows that GDDR5 will fetch diminishing returns for new designs from here on, out. With GDDR5 (or any DRAM standard for that matter), power-consumption doesn't follow a linear curve to support increasing clock speeds. Beyond a point, you need a disproportionate amount of power to support increasing clocks. GDDR5 reached that point. This necessitates HBM.

HBM takes a different approach to achieving memory bandwidth than GDDR5. The interface is wider, but with lower clocks (leaving a vast room for future increases in clock speeds). The first generation of HBM, which AMD is implementing on its upcoming high-end graphics cards, pushes just 1 Gbps of data per pin (compared to 7 Gbps on the fastest GDDR5); but features a vast bus width of 1024-bit (compared to just 32-bit per GDDR5 chip). An HBM "chip" is essentially a stack of five dies - a "base die" which holds routing logic, and four DRAM dies, stacked like pancakes (compared to just one DRAM die being bumped out to a BGA package that sits on the PCB, on GDDR5).

In AMD's implementation of HBM, these "chips" won't be encased into ceramic packages of their own, that sit outside the GPU package, to which it takes intricate wiring along the PCB to reach out to. Instead, HBM chips will be placed right alongside the GPU die, inside the GPU package, on a package substrate AMD calls the "interposer." This is a specially designed substrate layer above the ASIC's own package substrate, which connects the GPU die to the four HBM stacks, with an extremely high density of wiring, that's beyond what conventional multi-layered fiberglass PCBs are capable of. The interposer is perhaps the closest man has come to developing a medulla oblongata.

These stacks, as a result are much closer to the GPU silicon, and the interposer enables extremely high memory bus widths thanks to the density of wiring it can handle. AMD has four such stacks on its upcoming "Fiji" ASIC, resulting in a gargantuan 4096-bit memory bus width. Since HBM pushes lesser data per pin compared to GDDR5, don't expect "Fiji" to have eight times the memory bandwidth as "Hawaii." AMD's flagship Radeon graphics card based on "Fiji" is rumored to feature a memory clock speed of 500 MHz (1 Gbps per pin), which translates in to 512 GB/s of cumulative video memory bandwidth for the GPU, with 128 GB/s per HBM stack. The DRAM voltage is lower, at 1.3V, compared to 1.5V on 7 Gbps GDDR5.

The specifications of the GPU die are constantly being churned up by the rumor mill. Regardless of that, "Fiji" will end up having a lower PCB footprint than "Hawaii." The package will be bigger, but it will no longer be surrounded by memory chips. The PCB look quite different from what we're used to seeing, since the dawn of PC graphics add-in boards. In a way, that's a great thing. AMD retains control over memory, and so its AIB partners can't cheap out with memory chips. We haven't forgotten how some AIBs shortchanged buyers of Radeon R9 290 and R9 290X with cheaper Elpida GDDR5 chips on reference PCBs, even as initial batches (and review samples), came with higher-quality SK Hynix-made ones. Some of the earliest boards with Elpida chips didn't have proper memory timing optimization in the video-BIOS, prompting AIBs to send out BIOS updates. Something like that won't happen with "Fiji," and AIBs are free to cheap out on PCB quality, as the most sensitive wiring (that between the GPU and memory), has now been moved to the GPU package, and its interposer (more quality control in AMD's hands).

So what does this all boil down to? The memory is a more important ingredient in a modern graphics card, than you've been led to believe. The 64-bit computing era is now firmly here, and games are taking advantage of any amount of system- and video-memory you can throw at them. Compound that with DirectX 12, in which the command buffer can take advantage of any number of CPU cores you throw at it, tiled resources, and you're looking at a future that AMD seems to have been preparing for the the past decade (CPUs with a large number of cores, GPUs with extremely high number-crunching parallelism and memory bandwidth). HBM and the way AMD implemented in on its "Fiji" silicon is an important cog in the company's machine. It will offer a brand-new path of bandwidth upscaling through clock speed upscale; and higher energy-efficiency.

It's improbable that AMD would go to such lengths to equip its new high-end silicon, if it wasn't confident of outperforming anything NVIDIA has right now. Likewise, it's improbable that AMD would give a GPU 512 GB/s of memory bandwidth to toy with, if it lacked the chops (number-crunching muscle) to deal with such amount of memory. And this, is what makes "Fiji" a chip to look out for. AMD is expected to tease graphics cards based on "Fiji" at either Computex or E3, with a product launch within June. Let the battle between the Titans and the House of Zeus begin.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Makes sense that coolers will have to be more capable now. We'll have GPU and also HBM stacks cooled by the main heatsink. I mean, why not use it if they are already placed there. Which will be cool for overclocking of HBM modules if possible. Or if they are cool by themselves could be a problem if GPU will be heating up too much through the proximity and cooler contact. I wonder how that all works out for this configuration...

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Makes sense that coolers will have to be more capable now. We'll have GPU and also HBM stacks cooled by the main heatsink. I mean, why not use it if they are already placed there. Which will be cool for overclocking of HBM modules if possible. Or if they are cool by themselves could be a problem if GPU will be heating up too much through the proximity and cooler contact. I wonder how that all works out for this configuration...
Aye and even if total power use has gone down, trying remove as much heat as before will be a lot harder if the total cardsize suddenly went down by a lot. David Kanter on the techreport podcast noted that this card might still need a watercooler even if the powerdraw is lower than a 290x, simply because an aircooler would lack the needed surface area on a smaller card the interposer would enable.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Can't wait although I must say that my 7970 is still serving me well.

I suppose R7s will still get GDDR5 but I hope there's at least an R9 380X with HBM.

Processor Intel 2500k OCed at 4.6ghz
Motherboard Intel Z77
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.A
Memory 8GB G.Skill 2133
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X OCed at 1050mhz base and 1600mhz vram
Storage Mushkin Enhance 256gb SSD, Western Digital 750gb and 3TB HHDs
Display(s) Asus 24" 1080p
Case Lian-Li Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Mobo sound
Power Supply SeaSonic 560 watt gold
Mouse Logitec 3 button laser mouse
Keyboard Das Keyboard Model S (the blank key model)
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit

It will almost definitely look like a Multi-Chip Module (MCM). The condensed area will allow the cooling solutions to work more efficiently, because they will have to cool a smaller surface area. Although it will certainly be much smaller, think of something like this Power5 MCM (thx wikipedia)
Power5.jpg

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Great read, and a very easy one to understand. Thanks.

Motherboard Intel Z77
Memory 8GB G.Skill 2133
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X OCed at 1050mhz base and 1600mhz vram
Case Lian-Li Mid Tower

I suppose R7s will still get GDDR5 but I hope there's at least an R9 380X with HBM.

I expect that you're gonna have to wait for the R9 480x to see HBM on anything lower than the 390x

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Also the 3rd pic says CPU/GPU.
Would like to see an APU (BGA i presume) with a large interposer to house CPU/GPU/HBM.
And all of that on a small form factor board.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
I expect that you're gonna have to wait for the R9 480x to see HBM on anything lower than the 390x

That depends if the rumors are true or not about why AMD waited so long to launch the 300s. There have been conflicting reports that AMD held back to be able to supply the 300 line with more new GPUs, not just one. Now that doesn't mean HBM will be in all of them. But it would be a welcome move to make the 300s a fresh start instead of rehash city. AMD needs to do something with Freesync. The lack of cards running it in the 200s is reason enough for them to have held off and made sure the 300 line has full support across it.

Motherboard Intel Z77
Memory 8GB G.Skill 2133
Case Lian-Li Mid Tower
That depends if the rumors are true or not about why AMD waited so long to launch the 300s. There have been conflicting reports that AMD held back to be able to supply the 300 line with more new GPUs, not just one. Now that doesn't mean HBM will be in all of them. But it would be a welcome move to make the 300s a fresh start instead of rehash city. AMD needs to do something with Freesync. The lack of cards running it in the 200s is reason enough for them to have held off and made sure the 300 line has full support across it.

The rumors i've heard that the 390x will come in 2 versions, GDDR5 and HBM, lead me to think that the HBM version will be in the $500+ segment, with the GDDR5 coming in at the $400-$500 segment. The only reason i can think that they'd split the 390x between 2 models is that they want to reserve HBM for the flagship of the 300 generation, like a "R9 390x Plus" . That is, if those rumors are even true.

Also, i thought that free-sync was dependent on the monitor's support, and all Graphics CoreNext based cards are technically Free-Sync compatible. Guess not.

System Name Trashbox Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH
Memory G.Skill 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming R9 280x 6GB (2x)
Storage Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Corsair AX 850
It looks like my EK VGA Supremacy will get new life as both a GPU and VRAM block! :laugh:

In all seriousness though I'm looking forward to much smaller pcbs and waterblocks. If we can get some CPUs with HBM we might even get itx form factor dual GPU setups. :clap:

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
The way AMD choose to make their R9 200 line-up is the cause of it. they should have done something in the line of nvidia with the 900 series. Hawaï for the high-end, and tonga for the mid-range. Tonga is actually competiting with both the R9 280 and the R9 270x. And i think that very few ppl know that there is 2 gen of gcn mixed at the moment. If you want to enjoy free-sync, vsr ,better dx12/mantle performance, true audio you need to buy gcn 1.2 wich very few ppl can sort apart from 1.0. I hope the r9 300 will be less cluttered...
(It's weird that Nvidia being the one making the more money atm is the one making the fewer chip: 4 vs at least 10 for amd...)

Last edited:
Processor X5650 @3,7 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD5
Cooling Cogage True Spirit
Memory 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 CL10
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070
Storage 250Gb MX100 SSD+1TB WD Green
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 2560x1440 27" PLS 96Hz
Case NZXT Tempest
Power Supply Corsair RM750 750w 80 Plus Gold Modular
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software Win 10 Home 64 bits
Well I hope they will move their asses and begin selling the cards soon, or my wife may change her mind and won't let me buy a new card :laugh:

Well I hope they will move their asses and begin selling the cards soon, or my wife may change her mind and won't let me buy a new card :laugh:
(not personal, you're not the only one) i dont understand why people make comments like this, it's been widely reported for the past half year that ~june is the launch period for some amount of new radeons, it doesnt make sense for anyone to 'hurry' as nothing is delayed & it has to fit in with the computex+e3 events (that pc gaming one at e3 with amd headlining is quite blatant)

Processor X5650 @3,7 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD5
Cooling Cogage True Spirit
Memory 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 CL10
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070
Storage 250Gb MX100 SSD+1TB WD Green
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 2560x1440 27" PLS 96Hz
Case NZXT Tempest
Power Supply Corsair RM750 750w 80 Plus Gold Modular
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software Win 10 Home 64 bits
(not personal, you're not the only one) i dont understand why people make comments like this, it's been widely reported for the past half year that ~june is the launch period for some amount of new radeons, it doesnt make sense for anyone to 'hurry' as nothing is delayed & it has to fit in with the computex+e3 events (that pc gaming one at e3 with amd headlining is quite blatant)
Hope you are right, for me is the past month or so that I started looking again for new hardware parts for a new build.

Aye and even if total power use has gone down, trying remove as much heat as before will be a lot harder if the total cardsize suddenly went down by a lot. David Kanter on the techreport podcast noted that this card might still need a watercooler even if the powerdraw is lower than a 290x, simply because an aircooler would lack the needed surface area on a smaller card the interposer would enable.

Well, you can still have empty PCB the size you want in order to use a desired cooler...

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
It will almost definitely look like a Multi-Chip Module (MCM). The condensed area will allow the cooling solutions to work more efficiently, because they will have to cool a smaller surface area. Although it will certainly be much smaller, think of something like this Power5 MCM (thx wikipedia)
View attachment 64993

Or like this. 2012 trails on hbm...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
The way AMD choose to make their R9 200 line-up is the cause of it. they should have done something in the line of nvidia with the 900 series. Hawaï for the high-end, and tonga for the mid-range. Tonga is actually competiting with both the R9 280 and the R9 270x. And i think that very few ppl know that there is 2 gen of gcn mixed at the moment. If you want to enjoy free-sync, vsr ,better dx12/mantle performance, true audio you need to buy gcn 1.2 wich very few ppl can sort apart from 1.0. I hope the r9 300 will be less cluttered...
(It's weird that Nvidia being the one making the more money atm is the one making the fewer chip: 4 vs at least 10 for amd...)
They saturated the market, which doesn't always work in your favor. Nvidia used to do the same thing with ultra, TI, SE, ece versions of their cards. They figured out it sells better to have fewer products with better differentiation, than having tons of cards super close to each other.

galta

It does not make sense to say that because the cards will be smaller - which is good news - it would have to be watercooled, for a regular air cooling solution wouldn't have enough size to cool GPU and memory placed so close to each other.
Guys, come on!
If that was the case, ATI could simply make the cards "artificially" bigger to accomodate a larger blower.
One must note, however, that ever since the hotter-than-the-sun GTX480 was released in 2009, ATI has succesfully claimed the "hottest" product crown. It will be great to see them back on the game again.
Hope the same happens with AMD CPUs as well.

Last edited:
System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Sweet. This, and getting good OpenGL support would get me back to them.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
"It does not make sense to say that because the cards will be smaller - which is good news - it would have to be watercooled, for a regular air cooling solution wouldn't have enough size to cool GPU and memory placed so close to each other."
Guys, come on!
If that was the case, ATI could simply make the cards "artificially" bigger to accomodate a larger blower.
They could also implement cooling on the reverse plane utilising a heatsink on the rear of the chip attached to the metal backplate.
This would effectively double the surface area used for cooling.

We still may see problems. Heat rises. so I think the top Dram chip is gana get REALLY HOT.
I hope AMD have spent enough time validating this. the links are really fragile, and if they get hot. think Xbox 360 issues 1 billion dollars in writeoffs from warranty! if its not 100% sorted

They saturated the market, which doesn't always work in your favor. Nvidia used to do the same thing with ultra, TI, SE, ece versions of their cards. They figured out it sells better to have fewer products with better differentiation, than having tons of cards super close to each other.

This is what I've been always saying, especially since I work with customers on daily basis and have seen it first hand during a struggle in a company where I work few years ago. We used to have like 15 different models for the same product type and it was really difficult to sell them, people often had to go and "rethink" despite literally pushing them towards one product. But then we were forced to narrow down the lineup to like 5-6 models, basically 2 for each price range. Guess what, sales went through the roof almost, because people were able to quickly decide what is within their budget and what isn't. And when they had to pay more, it was also an easy choice. The first more expensive one. But if you granulate the models to 10 extra models in between, you confuse them again with decisions how much extra is worth paying for what extra features.

And that's what baffles me with AMD's Radeon product lines. There are TOO MANY of them. Bunch of Rx editions and then those are granulated down to bunch of series and then down to special models and versions. Totally unnecessary, confusing and overwhelming for costumers.

Why not have just R9 and place 4-5 well placed models here. Simulated naming for the new R9-300 series:

R9-320 2GB (budget)
R9-350 2GB (low end)
R9-370 3GB (mid range)
R9-380 4GB (high end)
R9-390 4GB/8GB* (premium-enthusiast)

*depending on how HBM can be implemented currently

No X versions, no LE crap versions, no various memory configurations, no R5 and R7 unless if you want to separate lets say mobile chips from desktops that way. When you give people a good argument why they should pay few bucks more, they will do so. But if you're having hard time justifying why every iteration of a card in between costs X for function Y, you just confuse costumers and make them walk away because they have to "rethink". And everyone who has to rethink is more likely to buy something from competition.

I don't know, I don't have a science degree in space marketing and a 6 figure yearly income and I get this. But companies just go with heads straight through the walls. Go figure...

Hope you are right, for me is the past month or so that I started looking again for new hardware parts for a new build.
dont forget skylake is also launching.... basically let's see what the situation is in the next few weeks (yes, june specifically for both amd+intel, unless you want to wait until ~september for 980ti)

And that's what baffles me with AMD's Radeon product lines. There are TOO MANY of them. Bunch of Rx editions and then those are granulated down to bunch of series and then down to special models and versions. Totally unnecessary, confusing and overwhelming for costumers.
you need to sell defective chips, so you need to have a 'pro' & 'xt' version (xx50 & xx70), nvidia is identical to this with x70 & x80, it's the same gpu but one is crippled, to me this is just fine

what happened was this mess with TSMC, lack of resources, shopping time of the year, OEMs needing new/more numbers.... so you end up with rebrands, mixed generations, & stop-gap solutions

you messed up with your Rx, R9 is high end, R7 is midrange, R5 is low end (this is so consumers get an idea of performance level.... even though it's a bit redundant cuz a higher numbered 280 is obviously better than 260, but i guess it doesnt communicate which third of performance it is cuz consumers are idiots that need their hands held all the time instead of using a 1-10 scale (wow it took me this long to realize it's based on intel's i3, i5, i7))

i'm actually not sure why you say there are so many products, nvidia has the same issue when there are TI editions & especially with mobile

the product stack is pretty normal on launch, with a few random appearances months or years later like the 5830 or 285

hmm maybe i should imagine my own (gaming, not workstation) stack, which btw needs price points:

$53 - 310 - are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?
$60 - 320 - i dont even know what i would do around here, rebadge? keep cutting tiny gpus? try to engineer low power efficiency for practice?
$70 - 330 - 9fps - borderline worse than an APU, probably should be required to playback 4k30 video
$85 - 340 - 12fps - maybe slowed & cut low end gpu... i hate low end, people cant wait a week to save up a couple bills? it's not like faster last gen cards are obsolete, buy those at this price instead
$100 - 350 - 15fps - upper low end gpu, will struggle if MSAA is used in 1080p
$125 - 360 - 19fps - slowed & cut mid gpu
$150 - 365 - 23fps - mid gpu that should handle 1080p without constantly being limited by ROPs or bandwidth, but eye candy will slow it down fast
$175 - 370 - 27fps - slowed & cut upper mid tier gpu
$200 - 375 - 32fps - uncut upper mid tier gpu that performs half or physically contains mostly half of the high end gpu
$250 - 380 - 38fps - slowed & cut second tier gpu
$300 - 385 - 46fps - uncut second tier gpu (maybe it lacks all the compute parts like 7870 did but still has more parts for raster rendering)
$350 - 390 - 53fps - slowed & cut big gpu
$450 - 395 - 60fps - full speed uncut big gpu, the absolute best single gpu (mass produced, not workstation, not custom or limited/specialized run such as some server compute card)
$750 - 390x2 - 4k 45fps - cut or slightly slowed dual big gpu (x2 because naming a dual gpu without a dual number is STUPID & unclear, ever since the 290+5970...)
$950 - 395x2 - 4k 55fps - water cooled full speed dual uncut big gpu

there is a glaring hole in my idea... it's quite similar to the 7 series, i actually do wonder what would happen if they made a really high end gpu based on the 7870's principles, as in, instead of adding compute capability, to just make a fat one that is only good in games... but this costs so much money for no gain, especially when you're making an ecosystem of gpu accelerated computing such as photoshop, video encoding, etc

inb4 the million custom editions that AIBs make, especially the OC ones that cost up to the next product that might ironically perform worse than that next product

here's a fun potential fact: titan -> titan z (titans, it's dual) -> titan x (titan next, it's the sequel)

EDIT: changed 390x2 price from original $850 that was based on limitations of air cooling nearly 300 watts

Last edited:

Damn straight it is! My 7970 at 1205/1800 is still maxing out every game I have above 60 FPS. Thus if the 390X isn't a complete knock-out I will skip yet another generation.

However don't expect the 380X to have HBM. They need to use as much of it as they can on the 390 series. Actually the 380X is rumored to be "Enhanced Hawaii" with 8GB of GDDR5 - and that at least still sounds great.