• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z170 Extreme7 Motherboard Pictured Up Close

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Here's one of the first pictures of ASRock's flagship socket LGA1151 motherboards from its mainline Z170 Extreme series, the Z170 Extreme7. This board offers an exhaustive feature set, and should appeal to gamers and overclockers alike. The board draws power from a combination of 24-pin ATX, 8-pin EPS, with no other auxiliary inputs. The LGA1151 socket is wired to four DDR4 DIMM slots, supporting up to 64 GB of dual-channel DDR4-3200 MHz memory; and three PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots (x16/NC/NC or x8/x8/NC or x8/x4/x4); the fourth PCIe x16 slot is electrical x4, wired to the PCH. There's also an mPCIe slot; which will seat a WLAN+Bluetooth card on the /ac variant of this board.

The Z170 Extreme7 is the first motherboard to feature three M.2 slots, all three of which are PCIe gen 3.0 x4 (32 Gb/s). Other storage options include three SATA-Express 16 Gb/s, and ten SATA 6 Gb/s ports. The board features two USB 3.1 ports, one each of Type-C and Type-A; and eight USB 3.0 ports, four on the rear panel, four by headers. Display outputs include one each of dual-link DVI, HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2. The onboard audio is an ASRock designed Purity Sound III solution, which combines a Realtek ALC1150 CODEC with ground-layer isolation, a headphones amp, and audio-grade capacitors. Other features include dual-BIOS (manual switching), and a high-quality plastic sheath running along its I/O area.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Don't mean to sound like a jerk or something, but DVI... on a high-end Skylake mobo? Seriously? Check your calendar, ASRock...
Why won't they learn that ancient crap needs to be phased out already... I don't think they make that much of a profit selling high-end boards to people with pre-historic monitors. I mean no one in their right mind will buy this and use the DVI port...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Normally their designs are well thought out, but this time if you want to put a card in the mPCIe slot, you can't populate all three M2 slots because they cross paths, or so it appears.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Don't mean to sound like a jerk or something, but....... I mean no one in their right mind will buy this and use the DVI port...
Mission failed.
There are lots of people still using DVI, there is nothing wrong with it.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Have to admit I chuckled a little when I counted three M.2 slots...

Mission failed.
Then I'd be damned if I ever buy a board like this and plug DVI into it. I simply can't imagine spending that much money on a board like this and not being able to afford decent GPU and monitor(maybe a DP cable to go along). I would understand a budget board(let's say H100) having the above mentioned display outs, even only DVI and HDMI, but then I'd go for an i3/Pentium and use the iGPU to watch my movies and what not...
To me it just doesn't make any sense.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Don't mean to sound like a jerk or something, but DVI... on a high-end Skylake mobo? Seriously? Check your calendar, ASRock...
Why won't they learn that ancient crap needs to be phased out already... I don't think they make that much of a profit selling high-end boards to people with pre-historic monitors. I mean no one in their right mind will buy this and use the DVI port...

Really? So everyone in the world in your own warped version of it, can afford to go out and replace a high quality monitor just because YOU think it's "prehistoric", and that anyone that has one is out of their mind?! Have i got that about right?

See, in the real world, we have mortgages, raise families, pay car payments, insurance, and every other bill under the sun. Gpu's or motherboards rate far higher to upgrade with the limited funds remaining, because they get outclassed. if a monitor is still very good, it's connection plug is NOT a reason to upgrade.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Then I'd be damned if I ever buy a board like this and plug DVI into it. I simply can't imagine spending that much money on a board like this and not being able to afford decent GPU and monitor(maybe a DP cable to go along). I would understand a budget board(let's say H100) having the above mentioned display outs, even only DVI and HDMI, but then I'd go for an i3/Pentium and use the iGPU to watch my movies and what not...
To me it just doesn't make any sense.

I use my iGPU output as well as my GTX 970 output. Primary monitor is in the GPU, secondary is plugged into the iGPU. Keeps resources off the GPU for secondary monitor purposes, means fullscreen applications don't black out the secondary monitor, saves more power, and is also a cunning way of forcing QuickSync to enable itself. (I use QuickSync a lot these days).

DVI is a perfectly acceptable digital standard. Murdering VGA makes sense, its analogue. DVI however doesn't because it's digital. It's not like it's bad quality or anything, it can support resolutions up to 1600p. For most people this is ample.

I also know an awful lot of people with Z97 boards and i5s and i7s that have zero need for a dedicated GPU. Most offices with high CPU requirements run these kinds of setups, and a fair amount of them use two monitors. As such, that's why motherboards have HDMI + DVI output ports, as well as a DP output. Some people run three monitors, and intel's iGPUs support that. Hell. The guy that's sat next to me in my office is running an i5 and a Z board without a dedicated GPU. He encodes videos all day and uses a multimonitor setup using DVI + HDMI. All makes sense to me.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Normally their designs are well thought out, but this time if you want to put a card in the mPCIe slot, you can't populate all three M2 slots because they cross paths, or so it appears.

I've seen this on some other boards, I believe by AsRock as well. They are set up in a way that one goes over the other so they both can be used at the same time.

means fullscreen applications don't black out the secondary monitor, saves more power

I certainly agree with everything else you said, but when you have multiple monitors on a single dedicated GPU full screen apps don't black out the second monitor. Also, enabling the iGPU may actually use more power than plugging the second monitor into your 970. Intel's iGPUs are gated, so when they aren't enabled they aren't consuming any power, and plugging a second monitor into a 970 only raises the power consumption on it by about 2w.

Really? So everyone in the world in your own warped version of it, can afford to go out and replace a high quality monitor just because YOU think it's "prehistoric", and that anyone that has one is out of their mind?! Have i got that about right?

See, in the real world, we have mortgages, raise families, pay car payments, insurance, and every other bill under the sun. Gpu's or motherboards rate far higher to upgrade with the limited funds remaining, because they get outclassed. if a monitor is still very good, it's connection plug is NOT a reason to upgrade.

I guess I should throw out this new 1440p monitor I just bought because it uses DVI...

Last edited:
System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
board looks very lavishly equipped ,but we have to realize that at the expense of inputs,
We have to decide what will benefit and what is possible. There is no PLX chip which allows us to expand and many options are shared on PCH.Chipset brings some new opportunities and this is mainly in the conductivity of the memory elements. (DDR4, SAS. M.2 .SATA e .USB3.1..)only offer is bad in these new standerd ,is too expensive for the normal buyer.

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
Why won't they learn that ancient crap needs to be phased out already... I don't think they make that much of a profit selling high-end boards to people with pre-historic monitors.
But... I like my pre-historic monitor :cry:

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Mission failed.

DVI is a perfectly acceptable digital standard. Murdering VGA makes sense, its analogue. DVI however doesn't because it's digital. It's not like it's bad quality or anything, it can support resolutions up to 1600p. For most people this is ample.

Good luck running a 1600p screen off an Intel motherboard DVI port.

I also know an awful lot of people with Z97 boards and i5s and i7s that have zero need for a dedicated GPU. Most offices with high CPU requirements run these kinds of setups, and a fair amount of them use two monitors. As such, that's why motherboards have HDMI + DVI output ports, as well as a DP output. Some people run three monitors, and intel's iGPUs support that. Hell. The guy that's sat next to me in my office is running an i5 and a Z board without a dedicated GPU. He encodes videos all day and uses a multimonitor setup using DVI + HDMI. All makes sense to me.

Buying a Z-series board and not using a discrete graphics card with it is just plain stupid. The only thing that the Z-series chipsets offer over H- and Q-series is overclocking, which is completely unnecessary in a corporate environment. If you see a Z-series board in such an environment, it's either because the IT guys are clueless, or someone's getting a kickback, or the user in question is a "power user" who demanded the best of the best. None of those are valid reasons to pay more for a Z-series board and not use its functionality.

I guess I should through out this new 1440p monitor I just bought because it uses DVI...

So what are y'all gonna do when the AMD Fury comes out, with 0 DVI connectors? Blame AMD because you bought monitors that use legacy connectors, or because you're too cheap to buy a DVI-to-DisplayPort adapter?

DVI needs to go not because it is limited in functionality, but because it takes up a massive amount of space on the motherboard's IO panel. You can fit 4 USB ports in the amount of space a DVI connector takes, which is a far better use of that space.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@Assimilator none of us said we are too cheap to buy an adapter. We are countering that pompous ass who apparently thinks all DVI monitors are dinosaurs, without any regard for people having real lives.

I upgrade what needs upgrading when I have money. Which means, I and most of the real world he apparently doesn't live in have to make hard choices about equipment upgrades. A high quality monitor which is operating perfectly but happens to have a DVI connector is NOT a reason to upgrade.

When it dies, or I need a different resolution, of course I will buy a DP monitor.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Good luck running a 1600p screen off an Intel motherboard DVI port.

I've done it, it works just fine.

Buying a Z-series board and not using a discrete graphics card with it is just plain stupid. The only thing that the Z-series chipsets offer over H- and Q-series is overclocking, which is completely unnecessary in a corporate environment. If you see a Z-series board in such an environment, it's either because the IT guys are clueless, or someone's getting a kickback, or the user in question is a "power user" who demanded the best of the best. None of those are valid reasons to pay more for a Z-series board and not use its functionality.

There are applications that require raw CPU power that people use and don't need GPU power. Or, as others have pointed out, maybe their using the onboard connectors for second or third monitors.

So what are y'all gonna do when the AMD Fury comes out, with 0 DVI connectors? Blame AMD because you bought monitors that use legacy connectors, or because you're too cheap to buy a DVI-to-DisplayPort adapter?

Use the HDMI to DVI connector that comes with the card.

DVI needs to go not because it is limited in functionality, but because it takes up a massive amount of space on the motherboard's IO panel. You can fit 4 USB ports in the amount of space a DVI connector takes, which is a far better use of that space.

That is why VGA went. Now there are already plenty of USB ports on the boards. My Z97 has 6 USB ports on the back, and that is more than enough. This board is going to have 2xUSB3.1 and 4xUSB3.0, so six total. Do you have more than 6 permanently attached USB devices? Oh, and even if you do, USB3.0 Hubs are like $12 now...

Though, I will say I'd rather see two HDMI ports, which will fit in the same space as a single DVI.

Last edited:
System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Wow with 3m.2 ports no need to have sata wirers going anywhere, time for some really clean builds.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Case sizes could really be reduced if more devices utilized the M2 slots, like m-GPU's for example.
I suppose it will happen one day.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
If you see a Z-series board in such an environment, it's either because the IT guys are clueless, or someone's getting a kickback, or the user in question is a "power user" who demanded the best of the best. None of those are valid reasons to pay more for a Z-series board and not use its functionality.

We do actually do mild overclocks on all our office machines (~400mhz), and fit them with Hyper 212 EVOs. All the mhz count for video converting/rendering.

But thanks for calling me clueless.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Many many years ago a company named Abit looked at their calendar(2002) and decided to get rid of all those legacy ports like the PS2 for example. That decision was a disaster.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
We do actually do mild overclocks on all our office machines (~400mhz), and fit them with Hyper 212 EVOs. All the mhz count for video converting/rendering.

But thanks for calling me clueless.
It's a different story if you're talking about production servers or hardware for medical equipment. Sometimes performance is more important that stability or absolute correctness depending on the application. However, if the machine isn't stable, that's lost time so it's only a good thing if they're stable. I'm sure you stress test them before unleashing it to an employee though.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
It's a different story if you're talking about production servers or hardware for medical equipment. Sometimes performance is more important that stability or absolute correctness depending on the application. However, if the machine isn't stable, that's lost time so it's only a good thing if they're stable. I'm sure you stress test them before unleashing it to an employee though.
Obviously for servers we don't, just on workstations. We always stress test them for days at a time too before handing them over.

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
First proper Skylake board!
Proper M.2 slots ... USB-C present ... now only why there is Thunderbolt 3.0 missing?

and you mean "the people" who use this board will use integrated GPU and the motherboard ports in the first place? Even if they do, DVI is still good to have... plenty of not so outdated good monitors use DVI.

Last edited:
System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
We do actually do mild overclocks on all our office machines (~400mhz), and fit them with Hyper 212 EVOs. All the mhz count for video converting/rendering. But thanks for calling me clueless.

Not to mention the price. Q boards usually are way more expensive than Z boards (at least around here). And H97 and Z97 boards cost about the same ... so why not take Z over H if the price is the same?

Last edited:
When it dies, or I need a different resolution, of course I will buy a DP monitor.
Too bad DP monitors are hard to get if you are not buying 4K display, most of them have HDMI and VGA/DVI.

That is why VGA went.
VGA is still present on new monitors.

Do you have more than 6 permanently attached USB devices? Oh, and even if you do, USB3.0 Hubs are like $12 now...
Depends on where you live, but from my observations USB 3.0 hubs are costlier than USB 3.0 PCIe card.

Though, I will say I'd rather see two HDMI ports, which will fit in the same space as a single DVI.
Let's make that DP ports.

Wow with 3m.2 ports no need to have sata wirers going anywhere, time for some really clean builds.
I would rather buy HDD because I get more space for the same price and what is the point of buying small capacity SSD on which you cannot even get a 4K video (because of the size) which you can only watch on SSD (or RAID) because it has higher read speed. And buying high capacity SSDs is too bloody expensive.

Overclocking is just raising frequency to unspecified level, in the past it gave us the additional performance but today it just gives manufacturers an opportunity to raise prices and that is why buying Z series motherboards and overclockable CPUs is pointless.

Many many years ago a company named Abit looked at their calendar(2002) and decided to get rid of all those legacy ports like the PS2 for example. That decision was a disaster.
That was too soon but they said legacy video ports will be phased out in 2013 and then 2015 but nothing is happening. What is the point of saying they will phase something out if they are not going to?
How is company supposed to make a decision when buying a new hardware when companies are not sure about their future plans for hardware support and make false predictions?

Not to mention the price. Q boards usually are way more expensive than Z boards (at least around here). And H97 and Z97 boards cost about the same ... so why not take Z over H if the price is the same?
This depends on the reseller but generally Z motherboard if not discounted costs more.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I need more storage then speed. M.2 SSDs are still more expensive than normal SSDs and even msata ones. M.2 SSDs are still very limited on storage space. The highest capacity one is 512, msata or 2.5 inch SSD are 1tb or more in space.