• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen Features Double the Per-core Number Crunching Machinery to Predecessor

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD "Zen" CPU micro-architecture has a design focus on significantly increasing per-core performance, particularly per-core number-crunching performance, according to a 3DCenter.org report. It sees a near doubling of the number of decoder, ALU, and floating-point units per-core, compared to its predecessor. In essence, the a Zen core is AMD's idea of "what if a Steamroller module of two cores was just one big core, and supported SMT instead."

In the micro-architectures following "Bulldozer," which debuted with the company's first FX-series socket AM3+ processors, and running up to "Excavator," which will debut with the company's "Carrizo" APUs, AMD's approach to CPU cores involved modules, which packed two physical cores, with a combination of dedicated and shared resources between them. It was intended to take Intel's Core 2 idea of combining two cores into an indivisible unit further.

AMD's approach was less than stellar, and was hit by implementation problems, where software sequentially loaded cores in a multi-module processor, resulting in a less than optimal scenario than if they were to load one core per module first, and then load additional cores across modules. AMD's workaround tricked software (particularly OS schedulers) into thinking that a "module" was a "core" which had two "threads" (eg: an eight-core FX-8350 would be seen by software as a 4-core processor with 8 threads).

In AMD's latest approach with "Zen," the company did away with the barriers that separated two cores within a module. It's one big monolithic core, with 4 decoders (parts which tell the core what to do), 4 ALUs ("Bulldozer" had two per core), and four 128-bit wide floating-point units, clubbed in two 256-bit FMACs. This approach nearly doubles the per-core number-crunching muscle. AMD implemented an Intel-like SMT technology, which works very similar to HyperThreading.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Just hope AMD isn't going to try to charge a premium for it. Course if they'll finally have CPUs that will go toe to toe with Intel then I'm sure they will.

They better deliver this time or they won't have anything left. And the "what if a Steamroller module of two cores was just one big core, and supported SMT instead." sounds like reverse hyperthreading or something, which a lot of people were speculating.

If they fail, they fail for good.
Apple with A9 just proved that ARM is indeed a solid competitor for Intel so there will be nobody to support AMD for competition sake and they can just die in peace.

Considering though that Intel brought nothing to the table since Sandy Bridge, they might have a chance. (lower lithography gives better power, and very slightly better performance which will be null, when Zen will come, cpu graphics is irrelevant for performance machines, and the rest of the performance increase over sandy is mostly due to higher stock clocks)

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
I wonder how a Zen core will compare to a Thuban core. That way we will have a real idea about what performance increase we have from AMD after 5 years. Because Bulldozer was one or more steps backwards.

hellowalkman

I wonder how a Zen core will compare to a Thuban core. That way we will have a real idea about what performance increase we have from AMD after 5 years. Because Bulldozer was one or more steps backwards.

Thuban IPC is in between Steamroller and Excavator I believe ..

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Apple with A9 just proved that ARM is indeed a solid competitor for Intel

In the mobile space. Apple has no intention of competing with Intel on desktop, which is the whole point of AMD.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit

1.Not really, problem with Bulldozer was/is too long a pipeline to run 2 cycles at the same time.

2. They(AMD) hadent more power that I5-2500K especially when that was Oc'ed.

3. The industry didnt go the way AMD had chozen to focus on, just execpt that Bulldozer actually was/is a fine server CPU fore that inviroment at the time when it came out. It wasent intended 110% for gaming, the faults the design had from the start was parcially solved with Visheara core, but thats too old now.

4. if the Zen design works, and offers better preformance that I get from my system today, it will be changed in a heartbeat.

Thuban was a 45 nm process. While not too bad for its day, AMD is working with the 14 nm process now, correct?

If Zen was just a shrunk down Thuban they'd be working with somewhere between 7 and 9 times as many transistors squashed into the same approximate space (yeah, not exactly accurate, but 90 nm between features and 28 nm is just a ballpark).

What I'd compare Zen to is Sandy Bridge. Hear me out, because off hand that is a low bar. What I'd conjecture is needed is good overclocking, a great pricing, DDR4, SATA III, and an ejection of the iGPU theory. Points 1 and 2 are generally where AMD focuses, so we're good there. Points 3 and 4 are what AMD promised with the ejection of the AM3+ socket. The final point is AMD utilizing all of the die space they can to overcome R&D shortcomings. If AMD can release a desktop CPU that genuinely does all of that, I would gladly go to it rather than a similarly priced Intel offering. Everything since SB has been either a compromise in overclocking, a compromise in performance (FIVR, sigh), or a compromise in cost (DDR4 really isn't yet performing well enough to justify the upgrade cost).

Zen could be the first step in AMD getting back to work on good CPUs. It could also be too little too late. Let's wait and see, before passing judgement.

Edit:
I have made a mistake. As per TeNor's correction, the 12 nm process has been changed to a 14 nm process. Much obliged for the correction.

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
nice they work for performance per- core
im kinda sick of their many cores and high Ghz but it cant challenge Intel processor
just make mid range processor with better performance per-core and lower power consumption, i guess it would help them in the market much

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Number crunching? That's a little suspect.
We already know AMD is using one FPU for every two CPU cores. I hope adding a FPU for each core is NOT the best feature Zen has to offer.

TeNor

As far as it can be known AMD will release Zen on 14nm (GloFo) or 16nm (TSMC) FinFET technology.

By the way you are right when you say you'd compare Zen to SB. If Zen reaches SB's performance level I would say well done!

Based on my own Cinebench R15 single thread results calculations, SB has app. 45-50% more IPC than Piledriver/Steamroller and ~30% more than K10. (See how bad is the Bulldozer family?) So reaching SB's performance level would be a great leap forward.

Another question is that it'd be still behind Intel's actual performance level.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
I have all the hope in the world of Zen/AMD, but I will definitely be waiting for a review. However, if Zen gives us a 16 Core Desktop processor that's within 80% of Haswell Single Threaded performance, I'll be switching...Having a 16 core monster sounds awesome. Especially considering how Intel has relegated it's 8+ cores to Servers/Xeons for the most part.

In the mobile space. Apple has no intention of competing with Intel on desktop, which is the whole point of AMD.

Well they could if they want.
They have 2500 geekbench single thread score at 1.8 Ghz and in a very power restricted environment.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/charts.0011.png

An i5 4440 at 3.1 has ~2900 in the same test.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=i5+4440

And the FX8350 is around 2400 :)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=fx+8350

They are definitely competitive and that is for sure desktop class CPU and if they could push ARM so far, I'm sure others will soon follow and there are big heavy names there: Qualcomm, Samsung, nVidia ...

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Original source

I might be worth noting that Jim Keller worked with DEC in the late 90s when DEC first developed the idea of SMT.

It's believed that the processor that would have come out after the first one with SMT would have gone from 2 threads per core to 4. Some have suggested that one of the changes that will come to Zen+ (the successor to Zen) will make it so it's 4 threads per core.

Did nobody asked:

If Zen is so promising, why did Keller leave after he finished the project?

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Did nobody asked:

The question has been tackled 100 times. I'll make it 101... it's because he finished his job (contract) and now he has nothing else to do and on top of it AMD can't afford to keep him on for future projects it seems.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
Did nobody asked:

Because that's what Keller does; he finishes an architecture and then jumps ships to work on something different. It's not just AMD he's done this to(though this makes the third time he's done it to AMD), he did it to Apple, as well as IBM IIRC.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Looks like it actually has FOUR TIMES the floating point units.
In bulldozer and later, in full config, there are four FPU2x128bit units, can either act as one 256bit / 2x128bit for a single core or gets split to a single 128bit unit per core on workloads when two cores access the shared FPU unit.
So, by having 4x128bit units per core, in a way, Zen has four times the floating-point units as bulldozer and later.

AVXX

If the Greenland 16-core comes to pass...

... and can clock at a respectable 3GHz+ without melting

... and is priced comparably to Intel's high end desktop / low end workstation offerings

... and packs 16 SMT cores with four SSE FMACs each

.. then AMD are well and truly back in the game. At least until such time as Cannonlake arrives.

(If Cannonlake on desktop has 6-8 cores with AVX512 FMACs, AMD's victory may be rather short lived...)

As far as it can be known AMD will release Zen on 14nm (GloFo) or 16nm (TSMC) FinFET technology.

By the way you are right when you say you'd compare Zen to SB. If Zen reaches SB's performance level I would say well done!

Based on my own Cinebench R15 single thread results calculations, SB has app. 45-50% more IPC than Piledriver/Steamroller and ~30% more than K10. (See how bad is the Bulldozer family?) So reaching SB's performance level would be a great leap forward.

Another question is that it'd be still behind Intel's actual performance level.

Much obliged for the correction. Don't know why 12 nm popped into my head, but it was in error.

If Zen performs as well as SB, per core, it'll knock the ball out of the park. IB was a joke, because of that cheap thermal paste. Haswell brought better paste, but FIVR. Skylake looks to be a genuine upgrade, but DDR4 just isn't worth the extra cost.

By the time DDR4 drops in price, and speeds up, we'll see Zen. If it follows other AMD offerings, we'll have a competent PCH, a focus on being unlocked, and a boat load of cores. SB was locked to 4 cores. Even SB-e topped out at 6 cores. SB-e's PCH was terrible (speaking as an owner, it just didn't have enough of anything without expansion cards). SB overclocked very well, but it suffered the Intel lockdown unless you spent the tax on a K processor.

I'm expecting SB level performance, with more cores, running cooler. With that kind of a base, the overclocking will more than make up the ground for IB and Haswell. It still might be behind Skylake, but those extra cores would make all the difference.

Did nobody asked:

Every time.

Do you ask why the pediatrician isn't your doctor for life? Do you ask why the assembly line worker does only one job, and never actually finishes a car? Do you ask why everyone doesn't cross the finish line in a marathon? If the answer was yes to any of these you might need to seek medical help, due to damaged cognitive functions.

Keller left because his part was over, and he's functionally a mercenary. You hire him, set a goal, put money on the table, and negotiate the contract. Keller doesn't get involved in production, marketing, or support. He designs, then leaves. His career speaks to that tendency, and conflating his leaving with some issue is foolish.

AVXX

Not entirely true Gorbaz - SSE4.x & AVX2 both support vector integer computation, but the hardware that crunches it still get referred to as FMACs. Depends whether or not the integer code in question can be vectorized.