• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i oc my old card for a bit untill i upgrade?

h0tsauce

currently i have a radeon 9500np64mb....yes i know, its no good. but since im going to build a new system sometime soon and since dod:source is comming out sooner than i am going to build my new comp, can i oc my 9500np 64mb? it runs half life 2 and cs source ok with all the settings down low now, but oc'ed im sure it will be better.. what do you guys think?

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
dont expect anything spectacular out of overclocking that card, but i'd definantly do it with an old card like that.

if i was about to build a new system or get a upgrade, i'd overclock the old one till it burned out just to see how high i can get it to go and how long before it burns out.

h0tsauce

well i dont really want to kill it, just want to get one last "bang" out of it before its replaced...so are ther any good settings i should be looking for when ocing it with atitool?

R350np

Processor C2D E6600
Motherboard Abit AW9D-Max
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Memory 2 GB (2*1GB, Corsair)
Video Card(s) MSI 8800GTS-320-OC
Storage Raid 0 (2*250 GB Seagate)
Display(s) Benq FP93G X
Case Thermaltake Armor Jr.
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD-Audio (Onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Libertry - 500W
Software Win XP x64
Just use the artefact-scanner (find max core) to find the max possible clock speed, and set it back a few Mhz. Do the same with ram. Use this overclocked speeds only while gaming. While on desktop set it back to defaults. Your card wouldn´t burn out to fast.
I do this with my 9800np now for one year. While gaming the card is overclocked 10% (max possible is ca. +15%)

HAL9000

you should OC

I think that you should OC that card ! You will not be admiring with the results,but you`ll have fun believe me ;)

Antikristuseke

Stay away from overclocking, its a contageous disease. Once you twak a little you cant stop before you have squezed every last mhz out of every part of your setup. You dont want to end up like me when every single piece of your system is overvolted and overclocked exept the hard drives. Actualy OCing is a hell of a lot of fun and i have yet to kill a graphics card or proc doing so, just use common sense and youll be fine :)