• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX 8320e 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55
Memory Kinston Hyper X RED DDr3 1600Mhz 2x4Gb
Video Card(s) AMD NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 8gb
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD /Seagate 1TB (STEAM) / 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung S24D390HL PLS 23.6 X2 Dual Monitor
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX XT Series 600W PSU 80+ Bronze
Mouse MOTOSPEED V30 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard MOTOSPEED Inflictor CK104 Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro 64BIT
I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
by taking apart did that include disconnecting all the cables? mainly you said from fan area. if it works to an output a quick(not always right) assumption is the screen went bad, or at least the connection. Odd that you were doing something completely software and this happened but such things do happen.

What's HWmonitor state for all your temps? and when you externally plug in does the computer still recognize that you're using screen 2, not 1(laptop's)?