• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk

rajmehra300

Hi...

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk. It has got corrupted. When I connect to my Window 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but my machine does not recognize it.I have checked External hard disk with other working cable as well but still it is not working . I have tried to recover data with Hiren boot cd ,. On hiren boot machine it is recognizing the disk. I can copy some data in form of dd format with data rescue but not able to recover data with this DD format file. I have used different softwares to recover dd file but all are giving error. Please suggest how can i recover my data.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
WD Passport drives encrypt data that's put on the drive. You can't simply remove the hard drive and plug it in while expecting it to be readable. If the enclosure fails, you're practically out of luck.

I'm sure that @SuperSoph_WD can confirm that in case I'm wrong.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
You could try swapping the disk in to another enclosure that is the same type to see if that is the issue.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You could try swapping the disk in to another enclosure that is the same type to see if that is the issue.
Won't work. Encryption differs between enclosures.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey, @rajmehra300

I can imagine how frustrated you must be about your data. As the other guys already mentioned the WD My Passport does incorporate a hardware encryption. This basically won't let you access your files without the original WD My Passport enclosure. You mentioned that you can hear the drive spin up, but have you checked all the places where it might pop up? Disk Management? Device Manager? DiskPart? BIOS even?
Before attempting anything else by yourself, I'd advise you to check your Warranty Status first. If the external HDD is still covered, you should be able to send an RMA to our Customer Support. Regardless of the warranty status, you can still contact them for further troubleshooting assistance.

If the files on the WD My Passport are very important to you, you should consider contacting a Professional Data Recovery company as well. They are your best bet when it comes to retrieving your data. I'd strongly recommend you to keep your data stored on AT LEAST ONE OTHER storage device in the future. Having multiple copies is what would prevent such data-loss headaches. :(
Besides, better safe than sorry, right?

Hope I was able to assist you.
SuperSoph_WD

rajmehra300

It sounds like it is past the point of no return.
While it is attached to the primary PC, try running the WD diagnostic tool: http://supportdownloads.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

Don't have WD tool try to fix anything, just diagnose.
I have earlier tried with WD dianostic tool but it is not detecting the hdd

Hey, @rajmehra300

I can imagine how frustrated you must be about your data. As the other guys already mentioned the WD My Passport does incorporate a hardware encryption. This basically won't let you access your files without the original WD My Passport enclosure. You mentioned that you can hear the drive spin up, but have you checked all the places where it might pop up? Disk Management? Device Manager? DiskPart? BIOS even?
Before attempting anything else by yourself, I'd advise you to check your Warranty Status first. If the external HDD is still covered, you should be able to send an RMA to our Customer Support. Regardless of the warranty status, you can still contact them for further troubleshooting assistance.

If the files on the WD My Passport are very important to you, you should consider contacting a Professional Data Recovery company as well. They are your best bet when it comes to retrieving your data. I'd strongly recommend you to keep your data stored on AT LEAST ONE OTHER storage device in the future. Having multiple copies is what would prevent such data-loss headaches. :(
Besides, better safe than sorry, right?

Hope I was able to assist you.
SuperSoph_WD
I have checked Disk Management, Device Manager, DiskPart but no luck .How to check using BIOS?

Last edited by a moderator:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD Passport drives encrypt data

Just a note of info for all... "Models officially sold in Russia do not have hardware encryption, but do have password protection" quoted from WD.
And, you can use the WD software for certain drives to deactivate the encryption and password protections, in case anyone was every wondering.

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk.

Which model? Hope you backed up your data, if it was needed.

Try this troubleshooting FAQ page: Where to find a driver for a WD product or the operating system (OS) fails to recognize a WD drive

Did you install the SES driver? WD SES driver download and instructions for recovering the WD SmartWare installer

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Just a note of info for all... "Models officially sold in Russia do not have hardware encryption, but do have password protection" quoted from WD.
And, you can use the WD software for certain drives to deactivate the encryption and password protections, in case anyone was every wondering.

Indeed, our WD My Passport HDDs that are sold in Russia do not incorporate a hardware encryption.
It's true that the password protection could be deactivated on any WD My Passport model, though.
However, you can't deactivate the hardware encryption. Our encrypted WD external models - WD My Passport & WD My Book are self-encrypting drives (SED). The whole point of the encryption is that no one would be able to access your data in case it gets stolen or taken out of its original enclosure. Unfortunately, this is not something you get rid of with SED HDDs. :(

SuperSoph_WD

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
However, you can't deactivate the hardware encryption.

You can deactivate/disable (it is not gone, however, you can stop using it) by updating the firmware and getting rid of the VCD... per WD here --> Software & Downloads

Quote from the WD page:
A small portion of drive space on your new My Passport or My Book hard drive has been used to create a Virtual CD (VCD). The VCD contains the WD SmartWare installation software, the encryption and password protection application, User Manuals, and other resource files. The VCD looks like an actual CD volume and appears on the screen each time you connect your WD drive to the computer.

The VCD is necessary if you wish to install WD SmartWare or if you want to use the encryption and password protection features on the drive.

If you don't wish to run WD SmartWare or use the security features, you can disable the VCD following the steps below. The VCD can be re-enabled by running the VCD manager.

Processor Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard MSI X99S-GAMING7
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 16GB G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Filco Majestouch
Software Windows 10
This probably won't work, but I have had success in the dim distant past with freezing drives. Try cling wrapping it, throwing it in a sealed plastic bag and popping it in the freezer for a couple of hours. If it's a mechanical issue it may help.

It sounds like the USB interface is the issue, so this will probably do nothing BUT if you have nothing left to lose it's worth having a crack at it.