• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silent Plex/Backup Server

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Radeon HD Graphics
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Uhh duh, it's an old card. Of course it won't be on their site. But it'll still do what he needs for a fraction of what a new card costs. This is a f'n media server, not an enterprise setup.

...But my data is important...right?.... The only major thing I care about is my backups but it would be nice to have everything in redundancy. You know..reasons.

...But my data is important...right?.... The only major thing I care about is my backups but it would be nice to have everything in redundancy. You know..reasons.

Of course it's important. My comment was regarding the fact that you are not running this array on a heavily used business network with large, frequently accessed databases that would necessitate a brand new expensive top of the line RAID card in order to keep up with day to day operations. You're using it to store media and play it back, which is for the most part going to be written once and then read. It will only have to deal with a limited amount of throughput, so you can absolutely use something from last generation and it will more than suit your needs.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Uhh duh, it's an old card. Of course it won't be on their site. But it'll still do what he needs for a fraction of what a new card costs. This is a f'n media server, not an enterprise setup.

Got a question for you @taz420nj so the thing is I would rather have something new that comes with a warranty (I work for vizio tech support and understand the importance of warranties and customer service). So with that being said would this be okay?

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Of course it's important. My comment was regarding the fact that you are not running this array on a heavily used business network with large, frequently accessed databases that would necessitate a brand new expensive top of the line RAID card in order to keep up with day to day operations. You're using it to store media and play it back, which is for the most part going to be written once and then read. It will only have to deal with a limited amount of throughput, so you can absolutely use something from last generation and it will more than suit your needs.

Correct I see my my laughing faces didnt go through on the first part of that. Here :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. That second part was serious tho.

Got a question for you @taz420nj so the thing is I would rather have something new that comes with a warranty (I work for vizio tech support and understand the importance of warranties and customer service). So with that being said would this be okay?
No. That's just a SATA card. You don't want anything that mentions "HBA" (Host Bus Adapter). It needs to be an actual RAID card. Those are the ones that cost $500+ new.

As far as a warranty in this case, you'd need to have a used card fail 10-20 times (depending on the price) to even come close to the price of buying a new card that comes with a 1 year warranty. Do cards fail? Sure. But with enterprise cards it'll more likely be from something like a power surge or physically broken connector than it just 'dying'. I haven't had one die yet.

Another example you can relate to since you mentioned you work for Vizio.. I have a TV on my patio (under a roof but outside nonetheless).. An actual "outdoor" TV that is waterproof, dustproof, etc costs about $2,000. Instead I bought a $350 Vizio, knowing full well that it may not survive.. But even if I have to replace it every other year or so, it'll still take 10 years for it to cost the $2,000 an actual outdoor TV would've cost.. And know what? It's been there for over 3 years and still works great. ;)

Last edited:
System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
No. That's just a SATA card. You don't want anything that mentions "HBA" (Host Bus Adapter). It needs to be an actual RAID card. Those are the ones that cost $500 new.

As far as a warranty in this case, you'd need to have a used card fail 10-20 times (depending on the price) to even come close to the price of buying a new card that comes with a 1 year warranty. Do cards fail? Sure. But with enterprise cards it'll more likely be from something like a power surge or physically broken connector than it just 'dying'. I haven't had one die yet.

Another example you can relate to since you mentioned you work for Vizio.. I have a TV on my patio (under a roof but outside nonetheless).. An actual "outdoor" TV that is waterproof, dustproof, etc costs about $2,000. Instead I bought a $350 Vizio, knowing full well that it may not survive.. But even if I have to replace it every other year or so, it'll still take 12 years for it to cost the $2,000 an actual outdoor TV would've cost.. And know what? It's been there for over 3 years and still works great. ;)

Well thanks for that, if you have any problems with it let me know...haha...you got your own personal rep for vizio tvs. Anyways I'll check it out and see what I can come up with. I guess I never really thought of it that way, ebay doesn't seem so bad, so as long as it doesn't say HBA in it and its a LSI its good? Cool cool.

Well thanks for that, if you have any problems with it let me know...haha...you got your own personal rep for vizio tvs. Anyways I'll check it out and see what I can come up with. I guess I never really thought of it that way, ebay doesn't seem so bad, so as long as it doesn't say HBA in it and its a LSI its good? Cool cool.

Haha thanks! :) The one I linked you to is what you should use. It's dirt cheap, it's got 12 ports so you will still have room to add more drives if you use a bigger case, it comes with the battery backup unit, and it's one that was very popular so you won't have a problem finding a new one if you do happen to have a failure. I use the 8 port version myself and I know for a fact it will handle what you're going to do with it. I've had mine running 10 simultaneous streams (2 transcoded, 8 direct play) while downloading from my seedbox at 50Mbps and unRARing, without a hiccup.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Haha thanks! :) The one I linked you to is what you should use. It's dirt cheap, it's got 12 ports so you will still have room to add more drives if you use a bigger case, it comes with the battery backup unit, and it's one that was very popular so you won't have a problem finding a new one if you do happen to have a failure. I use the 8 port version myself and I know for a fact it will handle what you're going to do with it. I've had mine running 10 simultaneous streams (2 transcoded, 8 direct play) while downloading from my seedbox at 50Mbps and unRARing, without a hiccup.

Holy crap...alright all bets are off....going on a hunt for that card. 10 streams? Thats amazing that means every device in my house could be streaming something and it wouldn't even hiccup. Impressive, I am debating on running a monitor on an i5 6600k setup, just at a simple 1080p and having a dedicated monitor for my server (its a new toy so I need to play with it) either that or getting a basic graphics card that can support 1440p and switching inputs on my monitor, would the integrated graphics on the 6600k support this or would you recommend something like a 780ti for $100 bucks?

Holy crap...alright all bets are off....going on a hunt for that card. 10 streams? Thats amazing that means every device in my house could be streaming something and it wouldn't even hiccup. Impressive, I am debating on running a monitor on an i5 6600k setup, just at a simple 1080p and having a dedicated monitor for my server (its a new toy so I need to play with it) either that or getting a basic graphics card that can support 1440p and switching inputs on my monitor, would the integrated graphics on the 6600k support this or would you recommend something like a 780ti for $100 bucks?

LOL yeah that was something that I set up specifically to stress it, it's not the normal scenario. But your HD streams will be somewhere in the 10-15Mbps range. 10 streams will be 150Mbps - the card and drives can handle 6 times that throughput.

On a server that is going to run mostly headless, I honestly wouldnt bother with anything but the onboard graphics. They'll definitely support 1080p, not sure about 1440p but honestly thats not necessary for a server.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
LOL yeah that was something that I set up specifically to stress it, it's not the normal scenario. But your HD streams will be somewhere in the 10-15Mbps range. 10 streams will be 150Mbps - the card and drives can handle 6 times that throughput.

On a server that is going to run mostly headless, I honestly wouldnt bother with anything but the onboard graphics. They'll definitely support 1080p, not sure about 1440p but honestly thats not necessary for a server.

Eh maybe I'll just install teamviewer and be done with it. :)

One other thing just to be clear, any stream that requires transcoding (remote streams, or clients that can't direct play a particular file) that will still tax your CPU. Plex recommends a passmark score of at least 1500 per transcoded HD stream in addition to everything else the computer will be doing. So with the 6600k I wouldn't recommend more than 3 transcodes running simultaneously because that's over 50% of the CPU's power (for comparison my server is dual Xeons with a total Passmark close to the 6600k, I think it's around 7400). Streams that can be direct-played by the client (such as an MKV on the Vizio Plex app) don't have that requirement so you can literally run as many as your network can support.

Last edited:
System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
One other thing just to be clear, any stream that requires transcoding (remote streams, or clients that can't direct play a particular file) that will still tax your CPU. Plex recommends a passmark score of at least 1500 per transcoded HD stream in addition to everything else the computer will be doing. So with the 6600k I wouldn't recommend more than 3 transcodes running simultaneously because that's over 50% of the CPU's power (for comparison my server is dual Xeons with a total Passmark close to the 6600k, I think it's around 7400). Streams that can be direct-played by the client (such as an MKV on the Vizio Plex app) don't have that requirement so you can literally run as many as your network can support.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.59 @ NZXT)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($11.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: AMCC 9650SE-12/16ML 9650SE-12ML 12-Port PCIe SATA II Raid Controller w/ Cables ($29.99)
Other: 2x Mini 10Gbps SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD Hard Drive Splitter Cable ($15.20)
Total: $1655.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 01:18 EDT-0400

Going to be setup in Raid 6, so I'd loose two drive equaling 12TB free and 4TB not free. Is this a safe setup or would you recommend an i7, I don't think I should ever be streaming more then 3 devices for transcoding. And everything will be running on a Ps4 Plex server, at least on tv's (2 Tv's, I have 2 Ps4's) and the only time it should have to transcode is when your streaming to a phone, tablet, laptop, ect? I took your idea about the 2TB but that will be plenty for a few years yet, also I went with a really expensive motherboard (Asus Sabertooth) for its claim about being extremely reliable and robust.

Edit:
Also would you recommend Windows 10 Home/Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate. I am okay with purchasing Windows 10 Home/Pro, but I have a Windows 7, but I would rather use Windows 10 if possible.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
But at least I know what I'm talking about....

The guy who quoted spec sheets, and has obviously never actually done rebuilds on large arrays and recommends an almost 10 year old RAID card that doesn't even have proper driver support, or a proper place to download the driver says he knows what he is talking about... HA!

It doesn't matter if it is old, the support from the manufacturer is clearly not there. And if the hardware is good, it doesn't matter if it is old, it will still be on the manufacturer's website for people that are still using it. That is why they are selling for dirt cheap. It is hard to even find the driver for the damn thing, and will probably only get harder as time goes by. Once a manufacturer of a piece of hardware removes the product completely from the website, like it never even existed, it is probably a good sign that hardware has reached the end of its useful life. Yeah, you can still do some digging on their website and find the driver download, but it took far too long to find it already, and who knows how long it will be available. So in a couple years, when you go to re-install Windows, oops no more driver. Sure you can go buy another cheap card off ebay, but then you run into the main drawback of hardware RAID. Because the array was build on that old card, you have to find one that is compatible with it or loose all your data and rebuild the array from scratch.

Also, because it is an almost 10 year old design. its slow. It uses a very weak PowerPC based processor, which means RAID5/6 performance is horrible. Ironically, I've actually used that card back in the day. For its time, it was good. But the biggest problem was RAID5/6 write performance. The processor they used was simply too weak. The only saving grace was the onboard cache, so if you enabled write-back then write operations were good enough as long as you didn't fill up the cache. But with only 256MB, that fills up pretty quickly.

The highpoint card I recommended might use the main CPU to do the RAID calculations, but so what? The CPUs in computers have come a long way in 10 years. Back when the 9650se was popular we were still on single, or if you were really ballin' a dual-core, netburst processors. They needed all the main CPU power they had for doing other tasks, they couldn't spare CPU cycles for RAID, and the RAID calculations would load up a netburst CPU core pretty hard. But today, it is completely different. We are talking about putting a quad-core Skylake chip in his machine. It has more than enough power to do RAID calculations without even breaking a sweat. In fact, I know for a fact(because I actually have experience on the subject) that the highpoint card will easily do sustained writes to a RAID5 array of over 100MB/s, which for a network server on a gigabit network is easily fast enough. I also know that the 9650se will do the same, but only until the 256MB cache fills up, then the write speeds drop down to the ~20MB/s mark. That's how slow it is at actually writing to the RAID5 array.

If you are going to recommend a card off ebay, and there is nothing wrong with that, recommend something worth using. You can fine good Adaptec cards, like this one, on ebay for not much money. My recommendation of the Highpoint was just a recommendation of something inexpensive that was new and I only recommended it to replace the onboard controller, because what he had was filling up all the Intel ports with hard drives and leaving no port for his SSD. At the time we were talking about 6x6TB drives, 2 arrays of 3 drives, with a 1:1 backup. The highpoint would allow him to use all the hard drives he wanted at the time on the RAID card, and put the SSD on the Intel.

It is bad advice to recommend the card you did, and shows you don't know what you are talking about. All of your recommendations so far have show how little knowledge you have in the subject actually...

Going to be setup in Raid 6, so I'd loose two drive equaling 12TB free and 4TB not free. Is this a safe setup or would you recommend an i7, I don't think I should ever be streaming more then 3 devices for transcoding. And everything will be running on a Ps4 Plex server, at least on tv's (2 Tv's, I have 2 Ps4's) and the only time it should have to transcode is when your streaming to a phone, tablet, laptop, ect? I took your idea about the 2TB but that will be plenty for a few years yet, also I went with a really expensive motherboard (Asus Sabertooth) for its claim about being extremely reliable and robust.

Edit:
Also would you recommend Windows 10 Home/Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate. I am okay with purchasing Windows 10 Home/Pro, but I have a Windows 7, but I would rather use Windows 10 if possible.

Don't use 2TB drives. There is no point, and you leave yourself no room for expansion. If anything, get 5x4TB drives. Price wise, it works out about the same, but gives you 3 open spots for adding drives in the future.

And, I've already explained why not to go with the AMCC card. It's total junk. The Adaptec I posted above would be better if you want a complete hardware RAID.

Finally, I would use Win10 Pro.

Last edited:
System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
The guy who quoted spec sheets, and has obviously never actually done rebuilds on large arrays and recommends an almost 10 year old RAID card that doesn't even have proper driver support, or a proper place to download the driver says he knows what he is talking about... HA!

It doesn't matter if it is old, the support from the manufacturer is clearly not there. And if the hardware is good, it doesn't matter if it is old, it will still be on the manufacturer's website for people that are still using it. That is why they are selling for dirt cheap. It is hard to even find the driver for the damn thing, and will probably only get harder as time goes by. Once a manufacturer of a piece of hardware removes the product completely from the website, like it never even existed, it is probably a good sign that hardware has reached the end of its useful life. Yeah, you can still do some digging on their website and find the driver download, but it took far too long to find it already, and who knows how long it will be available. So in a couple years, when you go to re-install Windows, oops no more driver. Sure you can go buy another cheap card off ebay, but then you run into the main drawback of hardware RAID. Because the array was build on that old card, you have to find one that is compatible with it or loose all your data and rebuild the array from scratch.

Also, because it is an almost 10 year old design. its slow. It uses a very weak PowerPC based processor, which means RAID5/6 performance is horrible. Ironically, I've actually used that card back in the day. For its time, it was good. But the biggest problem was RAID5/6 write performance. The processor they used was simply too weak. The only saving grace was the onboard cache, so if you enabled write-back then write operations were good enough as long as you didn't fill up the cache. But with only 256MB, that fills up pretty quickly.

The highpoint card I recommended might use the main CPU to do the RAID calculations, but so what? The CPUs in computers have come a long way in 10 years. Back when the 9650se was popular we were still on single, or if you were really ballin' a dual-core, netburst processors. They needed all the main CPU power they had for doing other tasks, they couldn't spare CPU cycles for RAID, and the RAID calculations would load up a netburst CPU core pretty hard. But today, it is completely different. We are talking about putting a quad-core Skylake chip in his machine. It has more than enough power to do RAID calculations without even breaking a sweat. In fact, I know for a fact(because I actually have experience on the subject) that the highpoint card will easily do sustained writes to a RAID5 array of over 100MB/s, which for a network server on a gigabit network is easily fast enough. I also know that the 9650se will do the same, but only until the 256MB cache fills up, then the write speeds drop down to the ~20MB/s mark. That's how slow it is at actually writing to the RAID5 array.

If you are going to recommend a card off ebay, and there is nothing wrong with that, recommend something worth using. You can fine good Adaptec cards, like this one, on ebay for not much money. My recommendation of the Highpoint was just a recommendation of something inexpensive that was new and I only recommended it to replace the onboard controller, because what he had was filling up all the Intel ports with hard drives and leaving no port for his SSD. At the time we were talking about 6x6TB drives, 2 arrays of 3 drives, with a 1:1 backup. The highpoint would allow him to use all the hard drives he wanted at the time on the RAID card, and put the SSD on the Intel.

It is bad advice to recommend the card you did, and shows you don't know what you are talking about. All of your recommendations so far have show how little knowledge you have in the subject actually...

Don't use 2TB drives. There is no point, and you leave yourself no room for expansion. If anything, get 5x4TB drives. Price wise, it works out about the same, but gives you 3 open spots for adding drives in the future.

And, I've already explained why not to go with the AMCC card. It's total junk. The Adaptec I posted above would be better if you want a complete hardware RAID.

Finally, I would use Win10 Pro.

Damn that was a lot to read but I got thru it all. Alright well I've already decided that I want raid 6 in hardware raid if what you say is true then replacing it down the line would be easier. I'm not out to start a war between members I just want some solid advice on the performance between the two and make a decision from there.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Damn that was a lot to read but I got thru it all. Alright well I've already decided that I want raid 6 in hardware raid if what you say is true then replacing it down the line would be easier. I'm not out to start a war between members I just want some solid advice on the performance between the two and make a decision from there.

If you are cool with buying off ebay, then the Adaptec card I posted is a good start. It has the features you need and is a good performer.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
If you are cool with buying off ebay, then the Adaptec card I posted is a good start. It has the features you need and is a good performer.

Not really but I need something that's less then a $100 bucks idk tho that one that was suggested earlier tho from newegg, I just would rather buy something new but don't really want to spend $500 bucks on a single card. I don't even have a eBay account.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
Hmmm....found one for $200 bucks I might go with.

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: EVGA Classified EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($275.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card ($399.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK_RLED 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK_RLED 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($509.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Other: 3WARE Cable, 1 Unit Of 1 Meter Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial Ata Breakou ($19.39)
Other: 3WARE Cable, 1 Unit Of 1 Meter Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial Ata Breakou ($19.39)
Other: LSI Logic Megaraid Eight-Port 6Gb/s PCI Express 3.0 SATA+SAS RAID Controller LSI00330 ($449.99)
Total: $4144.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-19 22:28 EDT-0400

I did my server and main computer all in one, It will just literally run 24x7, which is fine. It'll save room do you think this will work for a Raid 6 setup?

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Idk why you have so many fans, but I'd suggest http://m.newegg.com/Product?ItemNumber=35-709-027&iscoz=true for PWM and acoustics for all your 140mm needs (well it's 120mm screw holes so be careful of compatibility), the XP versions are okay too and have 140mm holes

A Silent Base 800 or similar could probably do the job just fine in terms of cases no?

The X61 Kraken is great, though I personally am a fan of air coolers for 24/7 use, Dark Rock Pro 3 and PH-TC14PE being my favourite options.

I'm also just assuming that lower noise is better, if it isn't, then recommendations would change

System Name Gateway
Processor AMD A4-5000
Motherboard Laptop
Cooling Laptop
Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage 1 TB
Software Windows 10
The passmark rating is about 9k on this processor, and it will need to be able to do about 3 live trans-coding at most within my home network. Also with the file system FreeNAS uses, does it need a dedicated drive for mirroring as raid would? I did some "light" reading on the file system and from what I understand it does not. Most likely I would want to use type 2 or 3 for redundancy. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.80 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($201.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) Registered DDR3-1600 Memory ($185.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Red 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.37 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1707.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-24 21:51 EDT-0400