• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Impact: MSI Issues "OC Mode by Default" BIOSes

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI today issued its first official statement on our investigation which found that the company had a pattern of sending reviewers samples with higher clock-speeds out-of-the-box, than what retail cards offer out-of-the-box, by means of enabling a higher software overclock profile by default, which consumers otherwise had to enable using the MSI Gaming app. We had argued that this practice was deceptive and the review samples weren't 100% representative of retail cards.

The company today released corrective BIOS updates for at least two Gaming series graphics cards, the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, and the GTX 1070 Gaming X, which enable the "OC mode" clock-speed profile by default. These BIOS updates enable you to have "OC mode" clock speeds without you having to install the MSI Gaming app to enable them. The company, however, did not mention whether the cards that are currently under production will ship with "OC mode" out of the box, going forward. Without that assurance, this is a farcical workaround which will appease only those bold and skilled enough to update graphics card BIOSes, and not corrective action.

In its statement (quoted verbatim below), MSI argued that the company shipped review samples with "OC mode" out-of-the-box because it believes that the MSI Gaming app normally required to enable "OC mode" is "not often used in reviews." There's no satisfactory reply to the question we asked in our investigation, which was "If the OC mode is how the card is intended to be used, then why make OC mode the default for reviewers only, and not your own customers?"

MSI statement begins with a strawman argument that it clearly mentions the clock speeds for each of the three modes on the product pages of its graphics cards, on the company website. That was never in question. What was in question, was what people get out of the box. Reviewers are getting "OC Mode" enabled out of the box, consumers are not. "Gaming Mode" is the default mode (since that's what consumers are getting out of the box), and reviewers aren't testing the cards at those speeds. This, in our opinion, is the deception.

You can download the video BIOS for GTX 1080 Gaming X and GTX 1070 Gaming X, and flash it at your own risk, from the following links:
  • MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G.html#down-bios
  • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/GeForce-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G.html#down-bios
Official statement addressing 'OC mode' on MSI GAMING X graphics cards
MSI Review samples and MSI retail cards are identical in terms of hardware and performance. Both have the exact same performance profiles available through the MSI Gaming App. All information about these performance profiles is clearly communicated and can be found on the respective product pages. (example: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GEFORCE-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G.html)

Retail cards are set to 'Gaming Mode' by default, which offers the best Performance per Watt, while still giving close to 'OC Mode' in-game performance. In order to enjoy the best performance and all features of MSI GAMING products, we highly recommend to use the MSI Gaming App which is available for free on MSI.com and the driver CD. The MSI Gaming App allows you to apply one of three performance profiles with a single click, instantly giving you the desired performance.

As several reviewers have stated, software like the MSI Gaming App is often not used in reviews. This is why review samples of the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 GAMING X graphics cards are set to 'OC Mode' to ensure that reviews demonstrate the same performance available through the MSI Gaming App. The award winning TWIN FROZR VI cooling is designed to handle each performance profile flawlessly, giving you the lowest noise in the industry and consistent performance so gamers can focus on their gameplay.

For those who prefer not to use the MSI Gaming App but still want to enjoy the same 'OC Mode' performance by default, we have released an alternative vBIOS with 'OC Mode' enabled by default.

Links to the BIOS updates presented before the statement

Learn more about the MSI Gaming app: https://gaming.msi.com/article/msi-gaming-app-article

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Well done to the TPU review team....:nutkick:

System Name NorthBlackGoldDream
Processor Ryzen 7600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650M-DS3H
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 240
Memory 16 GB DDR5-5200C40
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
Storage 1 TB NVMe PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 24.5" 240 Hz TN
Case Fractal North Black Mesh
Power Supply 650W
Agreed. It's nice to see you guys made an impact.

MSI have seriously damaged their reputation with this. It was a pathetic, deceptive attempt at gaining favorable reviews for their middle of the road products.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
MSI have seriously damaged their reputation with this. It was a pathetic, deceptive attempt at gaining favorable reviews for their middle of the road products.

I'm glad you keep things even-keeled and in perspective. o_O

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
After having EVGA make a statement about not using these practices and MSI releasing this statement, it'll be interesting to if Asus will make a statement, and if so, how long it takes them.

This is how critical journalism helps customers and keeps the level of product quality up. Gaming journalism could learn a thing or two from hardware reviewers like TPU...
QFT.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I don't know where to start.

Is it more deceptive than selling a dual gfx card (of any form) that costs twice as much but often fails to deliver any extra performance based on individual game engines? Surely all Dual GPU cards from AMD and Nvidia need to ship with that warning on the box because lots of people buy dual gpu's and don't know the inherent problems.

Is it more deceptive than a brand of PC build that claims it's a gaming PC and sticks a GTX 960 in it but doesn't warn you it wont work well on a 1440p monitor?

Is it worse than a branded stick of RAM at 4000Mhz that gives no tangible benefit to 90% of users. You know, the speed is way faster than 2333Ghz so it must deliver huge performance?

I completely understand what Asus and MSI have done (now and in the past). Look at @W1zzard's reviews - he doesn't touch voltage. A lot of reviewers don't. Sure, MSI and Asus should have mentioned it to the reviewers but it's hardly a crime what they have done. Given the cards will reach the speeds once you use the bundled software (as advertised on the bloody boxes) and play around with it. Isn't that the point of buying these things? You know, I buy an overclock edition and I get to actually load the software and 'wow!' when I apply that toggle - it goes faster.

If it defaults to the OC, that reduces the 'experience' of being able to use the software to overclock.

I'm sure plenty of do-gooders will punch me down for saying this but seriously - this is an over reaction of the most melodramatic style.

Unlike a GTX 970 3.5Gb RAM argument or a 390x stock fan throttling issue that meant you actually didn't get what was advertised in the 'fairest' sense - these cards will hit those clocks when you use the bundled software.

Get some perspective people. I actually find TPU's 'crusading' position on this very pompous and highly egotistical.

System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
The retail cards people will be buying are the same hardware as the review sample. And all you have to do to get the performance of the review sample is do a software tweak. This whole issue should definitely be brought to attention but I'm not sure why people are making this into a serious issue when it's clearly not.

System Name MSI GT72S 6QE
Processor Core i7 6820HK
Motherboard Intel Sunrise Point CM236
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 2x 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4-RAM (2133 MHz)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8192 MB
Storage 1 ssd 3 hard drives
Display(s) 17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 (LGD0469), IPS, Full HD
Case ??!!!
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC899
Power Supply most beautiful brick you have ever seen
I agree that reviewers should not let companies get away with such practices but I would call that increase in clock speed tiny at best. Maybe some people were deceived into buying the "faster" MSI cards, who knows, but as to what extend their reputation is damaged by this.....I will guess not at all.
I know I will still buy MSI in the future for the build quality alone.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
The cards should be tested at each level of performance, with the software, so that the buyer can make their own judgement call.

More work for the reviewer, yes, charge accordingly.

The reviewer should be given this info "pro forma". Then no argument.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
If you go back to the 900 series where there was a physical bios switch, would anyone have a problem if the switches were set to OC Mode out of the box?
A real problem reported by some testers was a review bios version that had a slightly higher factory OC than the retail version bios OC. However, how many times have some retail stock shipped with a higher factory OC than advertised? I actually have an MSI card that was factory OC significantly higher than what the listed OC Boost specs were.

Last edited:
System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/

Is it more deceptive than selling a dual gfx card (of any form) that costs twice as much but often fails to deliver any extra performance based on individual game engines? Surely all Dual GPU cards from AMD and Nvidia need to ship with that warning on the box because lots of people buy dual gpu's and don't know the inherent problems.

Is it more deceptive than a brand of PC build that claims it's a gaming PC and sticks a GTX 960 in it but doesn't warn you it wont work well on a 1440p monitor?

Is it worse than a branded stick of RAM at 4000Mhz that gives no tangible benefit to 90% of users. You know, the speed is way faster than 2333Ghz so it must deliver huge performance?

I completely understand what Asus and MSI have done (now and in the past). Look at @W1zzard's reviews - he doesn't touch voltage. A lot of reviewers don't. Sure, MSI and Asus should have mentioned it to the reviewers but it's hardly a crime what they have done. Given the cards will reach the speeds once you use the bundled software (as advertised on the bloody boxes) and play around with it. Isn't that the point of buying these things? You know, I buy an overclock edition and I get to actually load the software and 'wow!' when I apply that toggle - it goes faster.

If it defaults to the OC, that reduces the 'experience' of being able to use the software to overclock.

I'm sure plenty of do-gooders will punch me down for saying this but seriously - this is an over reaction of the most melodramatic style.

Unlike a GTX 970 3.5Gb RAM argument or a 390x stock fan throttling issue that meant you actually didn't get what was advertised in the 'fairest' sense - these cards will hit those clocks when you use the bundled software.

Get some perspective people. I actually find TPU's 'crusading' position on this very pompous and highly egotistical.

if that pc with the 960 is sold showing performance figures which is not the true, out the box experience, then i agree.

your other simile are silly and not really valid.

in areas where the extra bandwidth the ram running 4ghz gets over 2.4ghz sticks the performance gains would be great. if you only game it might not be so much but because you are not the target market who sees those gains does not negate the fact they exist.

for 9 out of 10 people reading the reviews they will not look into what happened. will not look at needing extra bloatware to do what it says it does on the box. the card should do what it says on the tin, it doesnt i want my money back....

i think what msi have done about this is great. most of their target market will want the fps that mhz brings more than lower temps and noise.

i also think what bt and tpu did is great too :thumb:

what a load of bullcrap...
passing a damp cloth on the issue and now everything is ok msi? what if the bios updates borks the card, will you pay both ways shipping? ofc not.
nice pr maneuver msi, but its not enough when no admission of guilt (deceiving customers) has been issued.

really nice work tpu crew!

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
it'll be interesting to if Asus will make a statement, and if so, how long it takes them.

Asus said to PCPer:

To save media time and effort, OC mode is enabled by default as we are well aware our graphics cards will be reviewed primarily on maximum performance. And when in OC mode, we can showcase both the maximum performance and the effectiveness of our cooling solution. And when in OC mode, we can showcase both the maximum performance and the effectiveness of our cooling solution.

Retail products are in “Gaming Mode” by default, which allows gamers to experience the optimal balance between performance and silent operation.

The 1 st reason is laughable, and second one makes you wonder who the hell would drop the clocks from their card around 30MHz and reach that "massive" eureka moment... "oh, hell yeah, now this, this is perfect"... Really? Even if such people exist, why would you ship the cards to the lowest common denominator (with €nthu$iast range gpus... and top performance oriented custom models)?

Now MSi tries to pull the "Watt" excuse... like someone looks at any GTX (even the older ones) and think: "man, if only this card had 30Mhz lower clocks in order to me to save money in electricity and have a micro improvement in performance per watt..."

The only thing in common between them, and the only reason we see, is to boost software/app usage by the buyers. So to make people use their software they came up with this scheme that puts some profiles with a few Mhz between them and there you go: "Unlock extra potential with with our app". When it's actually: "the card performs X but we lowered the clocks by default. Get our app to make it run like it should".
But then again, why aren't both making sure reviewers are aware of this, reviewing this, and making sure they focus this feature? Instead of sending the review cards tampered with top clocks (and fan profiles) by a different bios, making no reference of it. Because it would be bad rep if reviewers said the actual fact ("to reach the full warranted performance of this card, you have to install their app")?

Sure is a small difference, but this is not clear for the costumer. He sees the reviews, obviously thinks the card will have the top clocks "out of the box" (as expected), puts the drivers, doesn't bother with the app (maybe because he doesn't want more software clutter than necessary, or has bugs with it), and then the card isn't actually working at full.
And recommending users (that discard the "app") mess with their card bios in order to use them at full announced, and warranted, potential / clocks / profiles (as they paid for them), is quite ridiculous.

Again, not about the actual minor performance loss, is about the principle of all this and lack of information or effort to make reviewers inform the buyers how the card actually works. If the info is included and the reviewers ignore it then it's bad work by them. If the card is tampered with other bios and specially sent to reviewers (and without bothering to include the info and/or clear warnings about such details), then it's the brand to blame for misinformation. And in this case we have two of them doing the same thing at the same time.

I agree that reviewers should not let companies get away with such practices but I would call that increase in clock speed tiny at best. Maybe some people were deceived into buying the "faster" MSI cards, who knows, but as to what extend their reputation is damaged by this.....I will guess not at all.
I know I will still buy MSI in the future for the build quality alone.

It's principle and nothing else. Today it's 30 MHz, tomorrow it'll be 150 MHz. Just no. Never be forgiving. They exist solely to make money. And they never EVER give you anything for free. YOU (as a customer) don't owe companies ANYTHING. That's why being critical is important, even if it's "just" because of 30MHz difference.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

But your not POMPUS EGOTISTICAL LOLZ! 5K plus posts all BOOKS NO BODY READS!

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
Now MSi tries to pull the "Watt" excuse... like someone looks at any GTX (even the older ones) and think: "man, if only this card had 30Mhz lower clocks in order to me to save money in electricity and have a micro improvement in performance per watt..."

Due to UN Agenda 21 low power consumption is a huge focus for these companies and the whole reason for the Gaming Mode setting is to show the best performance per watt, or else there would just be Silent mode and OC Mode.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Shipping a bios and requiring software is bullshit simply because not everyone uses cards under Windows.

Fuck any company that attempts to justify this behavior.

MSI is now right behind ASUS on my list of shit tier vendors.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
Easy fix.
Ship everything in gaming mode. and dont send review samples to reviewers who dont use the software.

see this as a non issue my self. but if it makes a story i guess.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
MSI Issues "OC Mode by Default" BIOSes

How ever take no responsibility if it screws up.

Meh as always they can take a long run on a short pier.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If i bought a GPU based on reviews and found it had differing clock speeds in reality, i would automatically assume i had been sent the wrong GPU.

This is purely going to confuse customers - average joe does not buy a GTX 1080

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Cooling Corsair H80i
So many are looking for something nefarious here, but if the same OC Mode clocks are available to the public by enabling it there is nothing foul about wanting reviewers to test the OC Mode because that's what they would have done had it been a toggle switch.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu

Oh, so they should get away with little crimes, because it's not worth getting worked up about?
Do you think it would stop there?
This is what critical journalism is all about, raising hell when nobody else does. You don't think it's important, yet both ASUS and MSI thinks it's important enough for a press release...being caught out now, means that they'll think twice in the future.