• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Updates its Statement on Radeon RX 480 Power Draw Controversy

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today provided an update on how it is addressing the Radeon RX 480 power-draw controversy. The company stated that it has assembled a worldwide team of developers to put together a driver update that lowers power-draw from the PCIe slot, with minimal performance impact. This driver will be labeled the Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.7.1, and will be released in the next 2 days (before weekend). This fix will be called the "Compatibility" toggle in the Global Settings of the Radeon Settings app, which will be disabled by default. So AMD is giving users a fix, at the same time, isn't making a section of users feel like the card has been gimped with a driver update. The drivers will also improve game-specific performance by up to 3 percent.

The statement by AMD follows.

We promised an update today (July 5, 2016) following concerns around the Radeon RX 480 drawing excess current from the PCIe bus. Although we are confident that the levels of reported power draws by the Radeon RX 480 do not pose a risk of damage to motherboards or other PC components based on expected usage, we are serious about addressing this topic and allaying outstanding concerns. Towards that end, we assembled a worldwide team this past weekend to investigate and develop a driver update to improve the power draw. We're pleased to report that this driver-Radeon Software 16.7.1-is now undergoing final testing and will be released to the public in the next 48 hours.

In this driver we've implemented a change to address power distribution on the Radeon RX 480 - this change will lower current drawn from the PCIe bus.

Separately, we've also included an option to reduce total power with minimal performance impact. Users will find this as the "compatibility" UI toggle in the Global Settings menu of Radeon Settings. This toggle is "off" by default.

Finally, we've implemented a collection of performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3%. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the "compatibility" toggle.

AMD is committed to delivering high quality and high performance products, and we'll continue to provide users with more control over their product's performance and efficiency. We appreciate all the feedback so far, and we'll continue to bring further performance and performance/W optimizations to the Radeon RX 480.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The statement says the PCI will draw lower current in the driver and the toggle option is for a lower power draw. So does this mean they are automatically reducing voltage through the PCI (to meet specs) and then giving the option of overall lower power draw as well?

Bit confused.

But..... What AMD say about

we'll continue to provide users with more control over their product's performance

could maybe mean, if we're really lucky, that their next few designs (Vega) might have a bit of legroom for enthusiasts to play with.... Fingers crossed.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
What they said was:
- PCIe power draw really isn't an issue even if it's this high as found on RX480
- we are giving users control to restrict it to 75W with tiny performance penalty that is offset by a 3% performance boost via optimized driver

Reactions: xvi
System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Glad for you Red Team owners, hopefully no more burned mobo's!

Like always I am going to wait 4-6 months before buying any new card. Hopefully by then all the issues in drivers would be straightned out and availability will improve in retail.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I dont even understand this problem to begin with, why would a motherboard even be allowed to give so much current via a PCIe slot that it could destroy itself?
Why would there not be a hard limit on that?

Secondly, great for those who bought an RX480 but I think the best bet is still waiting for some 3rd party card with 8pin power connectors and custom (better) cooling solutions.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
What they said was:
- PCIe power draw really isn't an issue even if it's this high as found on RX480
- we are giving users control to restrict it to 75W with tiny performance penalty that is offset by a 3% performance boost via optimized driver

I think they've actually said they are doing two things (as well as the original draw being a non-issue as you mention):

1. Lowering the power draw from the PCIe slot (they didn't say by how much or if there was a penalty for that, benching will confirm) and this will be enabled as standard.

and separately:

2. Adding an option to reduce overall power by "some amount" at a cost to performance that should be off-set by a claimed 3% improvement in driver performance, assuming your game of choice is one of the "uplifted" ones.

Number 1 will be the most interesting to see the results of; how much have they reduced the PCIe slot power use and is the overall use now the same just with some amount moved to the PCIe power connector on the card and how has this affected performance, in theory, on the uplifted games, performance should be 3% better than the launch reviews.

Another question is if overall TDP/TBP has changed.

We should know more in a couple of days. ;)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I dont even understand this problem to begin with, why would a motherboard even be allowed to give so much current via a PCIe slot that it could destroy itself?

Secondly, great for those who bought an RX480 but I think the best bet is still waiting for some 3rd party card with 8pin power connectors and custom (better) cooling solutions.

3rd party versions should be great. AMD and Nvidia worry too much (as far as us gamers are concerned) with power restrictions because OEM's etc like that stuff. But the partners can go hell bent for leather. I should imagine with custom PCB's the 480 will handle the 1060 easily (given how bad Nvidia has been for locking down the Pascal range so far)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

I guess that's just the issue: if the mobo decides it will not output that much power, the system may become unstable. And if it does, no one knows what the long term effects may be.

That aside, there will be a performance impact associated with this "fix". I wonder who will bother to review these cards again, because right now, it seems AMD just did probably the worst cheating in the history of video cards by allowing all review samples to run outsides PCIe specs.

ok good to know that eventually everything will be solved and finally the RX 480 will perform as it should , replacing the 380 and surpassing the 960 (his rival in price and with the same size of silicon) by 45% more power in DX11 titles, and on 980 level in dx12 titles, will be great to see also the AIB Rx 480 models, as well as the battle against the gtx1060, the latter almost throwing smoke to 1.7GHz .:D

Last edited:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I guess that's just the issue: if the mobo decides it will not output that much power, the system may become unstable. And if it does, no one knows what the long term effects may be.

That aside, there will be a performance impact associated with this "fix". I wonder who will bother to review these cards again, because right now, it seems AMD just did probably the worst cheating in the history of video cards by allowing all review samples to run outsides PCIe specs.

Well they are acknowledging that, hence its a toggleble options, you dont have to put it on if you dont have issues and secondly
"Finally, we've implemented a collection of performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3%. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the "compatibility" toggle."

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Well they are acknowledging that, hence its a toggleble options, you dont have to put it on if you dont have issues and secondly
"Finally, we've implemented a collection of performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3%. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the "compatibility" toggle."
Read that statement as you want, but it neither says it addresses ALL titles nor that it makes up for ALL the performance impact; it doesn't exactly define "popular game titles" either. Hence a re-review would be in order.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB

No, as I wrote above, the base fix is not toggleable. The option is in addition to that.

It remains to be seen what they have done in the "base fix", my guess is they have managed to move at least enough of the power over to the PCIe connector to get it back within or close to spec but the TBP is still likely "a bit higher" than the 150W claimed (although it does seem within margin of error/spec tolerance (10%?) for that "on average when gaming", so the optional part will likely reduce that part of the equation. That's just speculation though and we won't know until it is tested.

I think serious sites like TPU/PCPer will indeed re-bench with the new drivers with the option on and off and show what has changed to both power use/distribution and performance, especially those that have highlighted the issue.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Glad for you Red Team owners, hopefully no more burned mobo's!

We should ignore the trolling; but can you show even 1 case where there has been a burned motherboard from this?

ixi

Like always I am going to wait 4-6 months before buying any new card. Hopefully by then all the issues in drivers would be straightned out and availability will improve in retail.
Yeah, Same goes for me. Will wait till prices will go down, so that people with shaking legs and arms can buy first products, while I will wait for bigger stocks and lower prices :).

Fiery

FinalWire / AIDA64 Developer
System Name Main rig
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
Cooling something big :)
Memory 4x 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Asus Strix-GTX960-DC2-2GD5
Storage Intel 750 400GB NVMe + Samsung 830 512GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA3
Display(s) Dell 1905FP
Case Cooler Master Stacker
Audio Device(s) some integrated HD Audio
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Logitech Internet Navigator SE
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) + AIDA64 Engineer :-)
Benchmark Scores who cares? ;-)
System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB

Sigh...

The power pin is directly connected into MB power plane and ground plane, there's nothing to limit it.

It's analogous with overloading a power cord. There's nothing that prevent you loading a 24 AWG wires with 100 Amperes of current.

There's fuses, and breakers, etc. But the point of PCI-e specification in the first place is to ensure that no one exceeding the limit so there's no need for system engineer to add unnecessary (i.e. avoidable) components. Reducing costs, simplifying designs and compliance certifications, and less components means higher reliability (if everything is behaving as intended).

It's quite clear. They can change power distribution through software. That means no loss in performance as the excess power draw will move to the PCIe connector (which despite officially being limited at 75W, can actually do 150W easily and some have even suggested it could do 200W).

The optional fix is to lower the performance to keep both power sources within spec. The performance impact will be small because power and frequency doesn't scale linearly, so reducing the frequency a little bit can give a significant reduction in power consumption.

By default it will just change power distribution which will be just fine because even a 6-pin connector is over-engineered to the point where it can handle massive amounts of power.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro

I almost believed the guys story, right till the point where he posted a picture of his rig. The bottom of my desk side paperbin is more cleaner than his motherboard. It has dust clamps, cat hair, and drip marks. The case looks like somebody had go at it with a shear.

Fiery

FinalWire / AIDA64 Developer
System Name Main rig
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
Cooling something big :)
Memory 4x 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Asus Strix-GTX960-DC2-2GD5
Storage Intel 750 400GB NVMe + Samsung 830 512GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA3
Display(s) Dell 1905FP
Case Cooler Master Stacker
Audio Device(s) some integrated HD Audio
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Logitech Internet Navigator SE
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) + AIDA64 Engineer :-)
Benchmark Scores who cares? ;-)
I almost believed the guys story, right till the point where he posted a picture of his rig. The bottom of my desk side paperbin is more cleaner than his motherboard. It has dust clamps, cat hair, and drip marks. The case looks like somebody had go at it with a shear.

I've never had a PC full of dust, and the dust causing a PCIe slot to get burnt and become inoperational. Dust is not good, I grant you that, but it rarely cause any hardware failures. Except when the dust fills up a heatsink and that causes overheating.

System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB
I've never had a PC full of dust, and the dust causing a PCIe slot to get burnt and become inoperational. Dust is not good, I grant you that, but it rarely cause any hardware failures. Except when the dust fills up a heatsink and that causes overheating.

Oxidation is bigger problem with slots, connectors and pins.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I read twice in that statement that this will affect performance.. ATI users will not be happy about that..