• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Launches Two New Curved Gaming Monitors

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
You make it sound like VA was inferior to IPS ...
Mia culpa.
That wonderful VA contrast and color shift, I miss it all the time I look at IPS screen.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
The color shift depends heavily on the type of VA panel being used. You won't notice any color shifts with good VA panels when looking at the screen even at moderate angles (not an issue for PC usage), while an IPS screen will never match the contrast of VAs. Though I wish there was a panel that would marry both VA's and IPS's strengths... Guess we will have to wait for affordable OLEDs then.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
24" curved?!
But why?

Sadly gimmicks are one of the things that filter down in technology :(

I bet you guys never used a curved monitor, especially a 21:9 one. The field of view is perfect for gaming, watching movies, even desktop experience.
Really the very small curvature adds a lot more ergonomy when using the monitor.

jg_nwi

Nvidia needs to give up on gsync. There are more freesync monitors out there and gsync jacks the price up on monitors by $100-200.

That's silly talk. Freesync is mostly limited, people are willing to pay more for a superior tech. Not to mention, AMD doesn't even have a competitive high end card out for this gen. I'm willing to bet that most high end monitors are sold to Nvidia customers (esp. given their market dominance). However, marketing departments say "oh, make it freesync because a lot of people don't know the difference and it will keep production costs down).

Black Haru

Staff member
That's silly talk. Freesync is mostly limited, people are willing to pay more for a superior tech. Not to mention, AMD doesn't even have a competitive high end card out for this gen. I'm willing to bet that most high end monitors are sold to Nvidia customers (esp. given their market dominance). However, marketing departments say "oh, make it freesync because a lot of people don't know the difference and it will keep production costs down).

This isn't really accurate. The market tells the story. Freesync monitors dominate the market because its free to build in compatability, but they also cost significantly less than gsync variants. If anything manufacturers are using gsync to inflate prices (beyond the cost of the gsync chip)

jg_nwi

This isn't really accurate. The market tells the story. Freesync monitors dominate the market because its free to build in compatability, but they also cost significantly less than gsync variants. If anything manufacturers are using gsync to inflate prices (beyond the cost of the gsync chip)

No, you're totally right. I wasn't very clear. The thing is, I see nvidia users running freesync monitors all the time. They buy them for the specs, some don't even understand that they aren't compatible. Some don't care and don't want the inflated price, I'm sure. This in turn tells the marketing team of these companies that freesync is the way to go. They're going to produce what is in demand, and when consumers see high refresh at 1440p, less $200-300, they'll bite. However, gsync is (perhaps in my opinion) a superior technology at the moment. For someone to say "the market leader should give up on their superior offering because companies are producing more of the cheaper alternative" is just a ridiculous statement to me.

Black Haru

Staff member
From tests I've seen, gsync is better but only by a slim margin. The biggest problem with freesync is just that amd has nothing yo power it.