• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Wants You to Choose Radeon RX 470 Over the GTX 1050 Ti, For Now

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
I know the 960 is half the performance of the 1060, my point is I don't think the 1050Ti will be that slow. AMD's claim is that the 1050Ti will be that slow, but I don't think it will be.

The funny thing is, I use my 960 to play games at 1440p all the time. Mainly Fallout 4 right now though.

Well... if you take a gander at the specs of the 1050Ti 4GB, you'll see it will be in the same ballpark as 960 4GB model.

There are three things where I can see the 1050Ti edge out the 960 4GB.
  • 1440p gaming due to better DCC in the memorycontroller + higher pixel fillrate
    • Probably kinda dubious as the raw horsepower isn't really there, so going per se from 30 to 33fps at that resolution is pointless imo.
  • Power consumption / Heat generated making it a better choice for ITX and HTPC builds
  • Overclock headroom, if they don't limit it severely in the BIOS and what not.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
Well... if you take a gander at the specs of the 1050Ti 4GB, you'll see it will be in the same ballpark as 960 4GB model.

There are three things where I can see the 1050Ti edge out the 960 4GB.
  • 1440p gaming due to better DCC in the memorycontroller + higher pixel fillrate
    • Probably kinda dubious as the raw horsepower isn't really there, so going per se from 30 to 33fps at that resolution is pointless imo.
  • Power consumption / Heat generated making it a better choice for ITX and HTPC builds
  • Overclock headroom, if they don't limit it severely in the BIOS and what not.

If the 1060 is anything to go by, arguing OC is kinda pointless as the memory bus lets out first, pretty well much negating any OC.

Not sure if thats a cool thing to have, or descriptive of the aenemic memory bus this generation on Pascal.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X I Core i7 6700K
Motherboard B550 Phantom Gaming 4 I Asus Z170-A ATX
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT PowerColor Red Devil I RTX 3080 Palit GamingPro
Storage Intel 665P 2TB I Intel 660p 2TB
Case NZXT S340 Elite I Some noname case lmao
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wired
Keyboard Wooting Two Lekker Edition
Holy Hell people... you are toxic.

First of all complete lack of understanding and appreciation for money. 20-30 dollars in the US is not what the world pays. Sometimes, things simply COST MORE in other places. Those 20-30 dollars will amount to a 50 euro difference in my country!

Not everything fits in your small, tiny, little monolingual worldview. Also not everyone makes as much as you... some make a lot more and others a lot less. Show some human empathy...

Reading some of these comments I wonder whether AMD or Nvidia killed a loved one or something, it literally makes no sense. Or at best whether you really are just as good as their engineers (almost certainly not).

Finally... this "ugh 1080 Ultra or it is worthless" mentality is stupid. The PCMR joke got to your head and made you lack in thinking abilities. Ultra or Very High settings are bolted on top of games in 95% of cases. They offer just slightly better visuals for a very big hit to performance. It is future proofing of the actual game, you know, for those of us that are gamers and play old games as well?

Learn how games are made, learn what settings do and see what consoles actually run games on, settings-wise. Then play a few old games, stop being monolingual, read a book and grow some empathy and sense.

PC Gamers have gone to pot...

chadem311

Stating facts, their products should speak for themselves. If your product is good enough then it will sell, without any comparisons or slides (especially slides that you make in wake of competing products coming out). RX 470 is a good card, but AMD seems to think well, a bit differently. And that's what my complaint was about.

The fact is, a 470 handily beats a 1050 Ti, and for $30 more it should be an easy choice for most. Unfortunately, in the world of PC gaming, brand loyalty and mindshare play a headscratchingly-large role in what people choose to buy. It's basically tribalism to some degree. Hence slides like this from AMD. So, desperate: yes! Foolish: no! It's not foolish, it's necessary as a way to battle the skew of the mindshare in this market. It won't help much, but AMD needs to claw back as much of the mindshare of the market as they can.

Nevertheless, the 1050 series will undoubtedly outsell the 460/470 at a ratio that makes ZERO sense, only explained by this borderline-dogmatic support and faith in one brand over the other. It will take a lot for AMD to really get it back in the dGPU space, like a string of absolute clobberings, where people are basically forced into going with AMD over nVidia due to the huge performance gap. Probably not happening anytime soon with the large disparity in R&D between the two.

So, they're going to have to live with a relatively small piece of the market share. Which they should be able to do. It's still a huge market that's only expected to grow.

And luckily for them, this "mindshare" concept is much less important on the CPU side (businesses don't care about what brand is powering their machines nearly as much as what it can do and at what price point)... hence the excitement for Zen.

chadem311

First of all complete lack of understanding and appreciation for money. 20-30 dollars in the US is not what the world pays. Sometimes, things simply COST MORE in other places. Those 20-30 dollars will amount to a 50 euro difference in my country!

Not everything fits in your small, tiny, little monolingual worldview. Also not everyone makes as much as you... some make a lot more and others a lot less. Show some human empathy...

Reading some of these comments I wonder whether AMD or Nvidia killed a loved one or something, it literally makes no sense. Or at best whether you really are just as good as their engineers (almost certainly not).

Finally... this "ugh 1080 Ultra or it is worthless" mentality is stupid. The PCMR joke got to your head and made you lack in thinking abilities. Ultra or Very High settings are bolted on top of games in 95% of cases. They offer just slightly better visuals for a very big hit to performance. It is future proofing of the actual game, you know, for those of us that are gamers and play old games as well?

Learn how games are made, learn what settings do and see what consoles actually run games on, settings-wise. Then play a few old games, stop being monolingual, read a book and grow some empathy and sense.

Agree completely with all of your points.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

The games have gone to pot (been shit for almost 10 yrs now) and the marketing dollars are working as well as ever.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
The games have gone to pot (been shit for almost 10 yrs now) and the marketing dollars are working as well as ever.

It is scary, AMD have a console monopoly and they simply don't have a great history of working with game devs.

Even their third party Gaming Evoled Raptr app has been canned, Jesus make an effort for once!

AMD are the king of PR slides and nothing else.

Nevertheless, the 1050 series will undoubtedly outsell the 460/470 at a ratio that makes ZERO sense, only explained by this borderline-dogmatic support and faith in one brand over the other.

I don't know about other people, but Nvidia usually makes better financial sense when I go to buy a card. Sale prices tend to have deeper discounts resulting in higher FPS/$. Especially if you OC. AMD's margins are tight while Nividia can discount theirs more and still make a profit. And when you add in $10+/yr in electric savings (for my use) then it's a no-brainer. Nvidia cards tend to have better initial reliability also.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
This! The games only got pretty visuals and that's it. Except a few selected games, all the recent titles are 10x times worst in gameplay, story and repeatability than the ones 10-15 years ago. But yeah, they got good graphics nowadays.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Why does there need to be Nvidia people and AMD people? And why is one side always supposedly stupid?

He has a point on the buying geforce for the sake of geforce even if it's 30 bucks more. We even see this played out on the used market.

Stating facts, their products should speak for themselves. If your product is good enough then it will sell, without any comparisons or slides (especially slides that you make in wake of competing products coming out). RX 470 is a good card, but AMD seems to think well, a bit differently. And that's what my complaint was about.

AMD has to overcome the ingrained loyalty and they can't do that by not marketing to their strengths. Personally it sounds stupid to me if they didn't make any graphs or slides, etc. What company would do that? I don't understand how the rules are always different for AMD? They can't seem to do anything that doesn't piss someone off. Maybe they should just die off and all consumers will be better off right?

Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4,8 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Alpenfön Brocken 2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU II R290
Storage 1 TB HD + 180 GB SSD + 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Philips BDM4065 39,95" Ultra-HD
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD sound on 5.1 system
Power Supply Silverstone SST-ST85F-GS Strider Gold Series - 850 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

LOL. Yes, who needs comparisons or slides. All customers know all data telepathically... those cards are for the mass market, not for nerds who know the difference between CUDA cores and Stream Processors etc.

Ever heard of... advertising? It seems to work for some products.

Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4,8 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Alpenfön Brocken 2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU II R290
Storage 1 TB HD + 180 GB SSD + 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Philips BDM4065 39,95" Ultra-HD
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD sound on 5.1 system
Power Supply Silverstone SST-ST85F-GS Strider Gold Series - 850 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't know about other people, but Nvidia usually makes better financial sense when I go to buy a card.

Really? How many have you bought? I can't remember a single card that had a better price/performance ratio than the similar AMD offer. It makes sens for Nvidia, yes, but not really for the customer. Except when you need the fastest available card NOW... and in this case, financial sense has gone out of the window anyway.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't know about other people, but Nvidia usually makes better financial sense when I go to buy a card. Sale prices tend to have deeper discounts resulting in higher FPS/$. Especially if you OC. AMD's margins are tight while Nividia can discount theirs more and still make a profit. And when you add in $10+/yr in electric savings (for my use) then it's a no-brainer. Nvidia cards tend to have better initial reliability also.

Had a 9800 Pro, x1950 Pro, now a 290, all work fine

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
Where is the news report on the 1070 issue?

Processor Ryzen 5 3600 PRO
Motherboard AsRock B450 Pro4
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 /w Noctua NF-P12
Memory Silicon Power XPower Zenith 2x8GB @1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB / Crucial MX 500 1TB
Display(s) Dell P2419H
Case Fractal Design Pop Air /w 3x Arctic P12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Edifier R1000T4
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse Microsoft Intelimouse Pro
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Turns on on the first try! Usually.
LOL. Yes, who needs comparisons or slides. All customers know all data telepathically... those cards are for the mass market, not for nerds who know the difference between CUDA cores and Stream Processors etc.

Ever heard of... advertising? It seems to work for some products.
Wow advertising, how didn't I think of that?

But seriously, that wasn't the issue I was referring to, it's their sudden need to point out that their more expensive card is better that the cheaper alternative (mind blown right).

And don't get me wrong, this isn't anything against AMD, if Nvidia did this my response would be the same.

Last edited:
I'm just putting this out this way... AMD probably didn't see this 14nm chip being in the market this early. I think they had a good handle on what and how soon such GP107 could fill the channel and that was from their minds... more mid Nov.

Now back July when AMD had enough Polaris parts of the 470 spec they looked at the market, with GTX 1050's out a ways, while given 470's close performance to the 480, the GTX 10603Gb inbound, all while the market hot for any Polaris they price them at $180. At the time I thought a little high, but sure "ride the wave" while you can.

Now things have changed and AMD is not longer in a price position and inventory is filling in so they "made hay" while they and partners could but the landscape is changing, so they're changing with it. Better then obstinately digging in their heal in (cough, 960 2Gb... cough!) . If they can come down and attack the 1050Ti, while offer a better $/perf against the 1060 3Gb, and still make a decent margins... Good for them, good for consumers.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
If the 1060 is anything to go by, arguing OC is kinda pointless as the memory bus lets out first, pretty well much negating any OC.

Not sure if thats a cool thing to have, or descriptive of the aenemic memory bus this generation on Pascal.

That's ridiculous, the 1060 shows plenty of improvement from an overclock. If it didn't, then why would the reference cards be below the factory overclocked ones?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1060_Xtreme_Gaming/29.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1060_Xtreme_Gaming/26.html

System Name Modest Box
Processor i5-4690K @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-C
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Colorful GTX 950
Storage OCZ Vertex 460A 480GB
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Gold
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
I don't want/need either. Got a pair of Galax GTX 960 4GB EXOC for $179.99 (new) a few weeks ago on clearance. Got 'em in SLI (which all my games support with anywhere from 60-80% scaling). About like a GTX 1060 or RX 480. Good enough deal and definitely better than an RX 470 for the same price. Basically, shop around and keep and eye out. Don't necessarily go for the obvious.

Processor Intel Core i5 6500
Motherboard MSI H110I PRO
Cooling Stock
Memory 8 GiB (1x8 GiB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Integrated
Storage WD Caviar Blue 1 TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) BenQ GL2250
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Be Quiet! TFX Power 2 300W (BN228)
Mouse Gigabyte M5050
Keyboard Logitech Y-SAF76
Software OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits
OMG, I don't care! Just offer a decent LP card...

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
That's ridiculous, the 1060 shows plenty of improvement from an overclock. If it didn't, then why would the reference cards be below the factory overclocked ones?

Look at the results, a 7% overclock on the GPU is eclipsed by the 18% clock on memory, giving a 12% boost to frames (which is far above the increase of the core). Most of that fps boost is coming from the memory clock OC, hence pointing out the anemic memory bus as the biggest bottleneck.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Just saw the dx12 BF1 benchies for 480 vs 1060.... LOL. Nvidia is screwed if we get some games that aren't half-assed.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11