• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Introduces the 5th Gen FireCuda SSHDs - Up to 2 TB, 8Gb NAND

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Seagate has officially updated their FireCuda line, the solid-state supported, high-capacity hybrid drives. The new, 5th Gen models sport a thinner form-factor (2.5"), rocking the company's multi-tier cache technology as well as 1 TB SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) plates. The SMR plate's difference compared to conventional, perpendicular recording HDD technology allows these hybrid drives to increase storage density by up to 25%, by allowing newly-written magnetic tracks to partly overlap previously-written ones, reducing the amount of platter real-estate occupied.

The caveat with this technology is that the overlapping-tracks architecture may slow down the writing process, since writing to one track overwrites adjacent tracks, and requires them to be rewritten as well. However, according to Seagate, the large, multi-tier cache technology and large NAND caches are enough to offset any performance loss incurred by the SMR technology employed on these drives, and then some.

The new FireCuda line will offer storage in 500 Gb, 1 TB and 2 TB capacities, bringing compatibility with a wider range of devices thanks to their reduced z-height of 7mm. These feature 5400 RPM spindle speed, coming in with 128 MB of DRAM cache buffer. The maximum transfer rate and average latency for the FireCuda 2.5" are rated at 140 MB/s and 5.6 ms respectively, with all capacities shipping with the same amount of DRAM cache memory and 8 GB of MLC NAND cache, which works by swapping frequently used data to the faster NAND memory. The drives leverage the SATA 6 Gb/s protocol, with power consumption rated at 0.45 W idle, 1.6/1.7 W read/write power for the 500 GB and 1 TB drives, and 0.5 W idle, 1.7/1.8 W read/write power for their 2 TB sibling.

While shipping of the drives is already underway, official prices or market availability dates still haven't been disclosed. However, the 2 TB model is reportedly going to cost around $100. The five-year warranty that Seagate offers on their FireCuda line of hybrid drives are sure to bring more value to the table, being longer than the standard 2-year on Seagate's family of Barracuda consumer HDDs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
they could atleast used 16 or 32GB of nand cache... nand is cheap as it is already.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
they could atleast used 16 or 32GB of nand cache... nand is cheap as it is already.

Why? The ssd part of the drive is only used for caching. Not as an actual partition where you can dump your files

Putting more or higher capacity chips on it would just inflate the price. And i doubt you'd need to cache 16gigs of data for quick access.

Use an actual ssd or ramdisk

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
How will it determine a "frequently used data"?

I understand that for example movies will be stored on an HDD part of this hybrid drive, however say you start up a movie or a game, drive will move it to the 8gb ssd bit? or how does it work? Also if for example movie is blue-ray which will instantly exceed the, then we see a slowdown?

Thank you for clarifying.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard b550-e
Cooling full - custom liquid loop
Memory cl16 - 32gb
Video Card(s) 6800xt
Storage nvme 1TB + ssd 750gb
Display(s) xg32vc
Case hyte y60
Power Supply 1000W - gold
Software 10
youtube, how works SSHD

How will it determine a "frequently used data"?

I understand that for example movies will be stored on an HDD part of this hybrid drive, however say you start up a movie or a game, drive will move it to the 8gb ssd bit? or how does it work? Also if for example movie is blue-ray which will instantly exceed the, then we see a slowdown?

Thank you for clarifying.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Software Legal ;)
Why? The ssd part of the drive is only used for caching. Not as an actual partition where you can dump your files

Putting more or higher capacity chips on it would just inflate the price. And i doubt you'd need to cache 16gigs of data for quick access.

More nand means faster speeds (as nand speed scales with capacity) and also higher hitrate for the cache part, if it's larger.
So yeah, there are defenetly benefits to be had using more nand. And nand is cheap as it is and anything less than 16GB is harvastaed dies anyway (they don't make flash dies smaller than 128Gbit)

Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
youtube, how works SSHD
Well dont you think i have done that already? All of them explain how the technology works, after one-two usages of a given file or software it will in future run them through flash memory, that is clear. However my question is still there, what if the file size exceeds the flash memory capacity? What do we get then, a major slowdown, or it wont exceed?

That bit is still unclear to me.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Software Legal ;)
Well dont you think i have done that already? All of them explain how the technology works, after one-two usages of a given file or software it will in future run them through flash memory, that is clear. However my question is still there, what if the file size exceeds the flash memory capacity? What do we get then, a major slowdown, or it wont exceed?

That bit is still unclear to me.
It works on a block leve, not file. If it sees certain block accessed more than a few times, it copies them to the flash portion.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm going to give Seagate some credit for now and assume they've done their homework in determining the SSD cache size. But I am eagerly waiting for reviews.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Software Legal ;)
In all honesty, 8GB of flash is so cheap, that they could incorporate it on all their drives from 1TB and up. Instead they sell it as a premium, which makes little sense.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
More nand means faster speeds (as nand speed scales with capacity) and also higher hitrate for the cache part, if it's larger.
So yeah, there are defenetly benefits to be had using more nand. And nand is cheap as it is and anything less than 16GB is harvastaed dies anyway (they don't make flash dies smaller than 128Gbit)

Well how lightning fast does lightning fast need to be? the SSD part of the hard drive isnt mechanical as you already know, There are no spin up times or seek times while it searches for your files. I dont think you'd be able to tell if speeds went from 0.1seconds to 0.0seconds.

Higher hit rate for cache? Do you regularly use the A(to)Z of apps in existence to great depth on a daily basis? Because if thats the case, then maybe you need to look at an actual SSD and not a hybrid drive. For most of us, all we really want are fast boot times & a few of the regular apps we use like web browsers, word, excel -- productivity apps, media/3D content creating/editing tools, Maybe the odd game or two here or there depending on the size and its all gravy.

Get an 250GB SSD & 1TB Mechanical -- the SSD doesnt even need to be explosively fast or the top model. I can pick up a 240GB AMD Radeon SSD for £52 and a 1TB hard drive for £45. the SSD will be fine for windows and all my regular apps and maybe a few games depending on the size but it will smoke any hybrid drive any day.

I dont think you quite understand the use of a hybrid drive

Display(s) PG348Q
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
It works on a block leve, not file. If it sees certain block accessed more than a few times, it copies them to the flash portion.
Aha! :D Thank you buddy, makes perfect sense now. Clearly will grab one for my games. in future.

System Name Gaming Desktop
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard asus rog alpha
Cooling H110i
Memory Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage EVO 840 500gb, EVO 850 500gb, Perc 710 Raid WD RED 4tbx4
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
8gb is pathetically small. sure if you only use one or 2 apps it'll speed up their launch slightly. but overall performance isn't significantly better than a pure spinning drive. at least not for a 20% price increase over a barracuda ( based on 3tb drive prices). if it were something other than a gimmick you'd see them offering it on enterprise drives as well.

the only place I see that they have any legitimate use is in laptops that need a lot of storage but only have 1 drive bay.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
8gb is pathetically small. sure if you only use one or 2 apps it'll speed up their launch slightly.

If you check out hybrid drives made by other manufacturers you will see that most of them have 8GB cache so it seems its a general consensus that 8GB is fine.

if it were something other than a gimmick you'd see them offering it on enterprise drives as well.

Nope, Not a gimmick if theres actual real world difference, and there is. On top of that an 8GB SSD cache on a enterprise drive is absolutely pointless - youre better off using a PCIe SSD for caching or a regular 2.5" SSD. These will never be sold as or marketed as enterprise drives. the reliability just isnt there and we know how seagate is when it comes to reliability.

the only place I see that they have any legitimate use is in laptops that need a lot of storage but only have 1 drive bay. and even then its questionable since all the 2.5" hybrids are rather small.

There are plenty of storage options on the market for laptops today. Many laptops have msata slots which you can install an msata SSD for storage or caching if the bios allows. You can still keep your mechanical drive. Given the choices, I would much rather fit an SSD in my laptop then a hybrid and keep an external USB drive for storing some data on to save space. Most laptops have card readers and 64GBs can be had for fairly decent price these days. Probably not the best place to install apps to but for storage of less important files it might be useful.

Not to mention the optical drive on your laptop can be converted to take an SSD -- there are loads of these bays available on amazon.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Software Legal ;)
Well how lightning fast does lightning fast need to be? the SSD part of the hard drive isnt mechanical as you already know, There are no spin up times or seek times while it searches for your files. I dont think you'd be able to tell if speeds went from 0.1seconds to 0.0seconds.

Higher hit rate for cache? Do you regularly use the A(to)Z of apps in existence to great depth on a daily basis? Because if thats the case, then maybe you need to look at an actual SSD and not a hybrid drive. For most of us, all we really want are fast boot times & a few of the regular apps we use like web browsers, word, excel -- productivity apps, media/3D content creating/editing tools, Maybe the odd game or two here or there depending on the size and its all gravy.

Get an 250GB SSD & 1TB Mechanical -- the SSD doesnt even need to be explosively fast or the top model. I can pick up a 240GB AMD Radeon SSD for £52 and a 1TB hard drive for £45. the SSD will be fine for windows and all my regular apps and maybe a few games depending on the size but it will smoke any hybrid drive any day.

I dont think you quite understand the use of a hybrid drive

Already have SSD and plan on going full ssd in the future (can't bear the sound of HDDs to be honest).

Still i had the opportunity to test both (specifically sammy 840 pro and a toshiba 1tb sshd with 8gb of flash). Toshiba drive even after a while to give it some time do do learning didn't fell all that snappier than your regular 2.5" 5400rpm drive. Maybe a little improvement, but not much. After switching to 840pro (got a very good price on it) it was a night and days experience.

So yeah, current hybrid drives make little sense, because onboard flash isn't fast enough and big enough to justify the extra premium (looking at the current pricing, 1TB 2.5" hybrid drive costs almost 28€ more).
For that kind of money, you can grab a cheap 60gb ssd, that will be miles faster than sshd setup.

Processor i7 6700k
Cooling H110i
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
Nope, Not a gimmick if theres actual real world difference, and there is. On top of that an 8GB SSD cache on a enterprise drive is absolutely pointless - youre better off using a PCIe SSD for caching or a regular 2.5" SSD. These will never be sold as or marketed as enterprise drives. the reliability just isnt there and we know how seagate is when it comes to reliability.

http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/value-of-enterprise-sshd-basics-part1-master-ti/

yet they pulled it.

there are plenty of low end servers that run enterprise sata drives that don't have ssds. most servers out there don't have the option for ssd caching on the raid controller. lets take dell as an example. the perc 730 raid controller allows ssd caching. the perc 710 doesn't unless you flash avago's bios onto it voiding your warranty on the card. perc 710 was in use until last year.

Many laptops have msata slots which you can install an msata SSD for storage or caching if the bios allows. You can still keep your mechanical drive. Given the choices, I would much rather fit an SSD in my laptop then a hybrid and keep an external USB drive for storing some data on to save space.

most laptops don't have m2 slots. a lot of the new ones do. thankfully my thinkpad has an easy swap between optical and 2nd hard drive bay and spare battery. I've had plenty of laptops that don't. as for external drives I've had too many fail to consider them reliable storage for everyday use.

I'm confused about which side you're on. you seem to think hybrid drives have a use. but you're own points argue against it.

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Let's look at this another way: do we want an Apple world, where we get 3-4 system configurations a year at best or do we welcome an additional option?

Processor i7 6700k
Cooling H110i
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
Let's look at this another way: do we want an Apple world, where we get 3-4 system configurations a year at best or do we welcome an additional option?
I'm all for options that make sense. I just don't see any point in the desktop versions of these drives. if they can fit 512GB into a micro sd card they can put more than 8gb into these drives.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
The nand will outlive the drive.

How does seagate stay in business pushing out copious amounts of shit I have no idea.

If anyone remembers, the first SSHD they came out with some years ago had 4GB SSD cache. A year later, they released 8GB SSD cache.

Now, they have 16GB cache.

I personally have the 4GB version. It works fine as a boot drive. The booting time is almost the same as a pure SSD.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'm all for options that make sense. I just don't see any point in the desktop versions of these drives. if they can fit 512GB into a micro sd card they can put more than 8gb into these drives.
Well, until we see benchmarks, you can only assume these don't make sense, right? I honestly don't know, I haven't read any review for a SSHD drive in quite a while.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
All that sounds great until a power outage, lighting strike, or other interrupting event causes the rewrite/write to fail. Plus smaller isn't better if it's slower.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
All that sounds great until a power outage, lighting strike, or other interrupting event causes the rewrite/write to fail. Plus smaller isn't better if it's slower.
You can't have it all for $100 ;)

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Okay, I'm thoroughly confused. I noticed that Seagate had brought out a new lines of HDD's/SSHD's back in July, to absolutely no fanfare. This announcement seems to only apply to the 2.5" drives, even though a 3.5" drive is also pictured. Did they wait until the 2.5" drives were ready to announce the entire line? It is nice to see a 5 year warranty on these drives, and that alone might be worth the increased cost. I had one of the ST2000DM001's die 44 days after it's 2 year warranty expired. That drive is being replaced by the ST2000DM006.

I've had a software array SSHD and 8GB is NOT enough by far. 16GB would do it, but with the size of today's games, 32GB is kind of a must. And for god sake, 32GB SSD costs like 15-20 bucks tops. They use crap HDD drives, it's not like they are sticking SSD part to a fastest HDD in their lineup. I mean, the fact cache is still 8GB since the inception of SSHD's is telling. It's just not enough.