• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Shield vs FireStick

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
All,

I do not know if this is the best spot to be posting this but here it goes.

I currently use Kodi on my Amazon FireStick for streaming such as Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, and Prime. I have noticed at times that the FireStick will start to lag and chug along even with streaming over my NAS.

I have been looking into getting the means of getting sports streams into my FireStick so I can finally cut the cord as it were from my cable company. The FireStick looks to support only a handful of sports applications that came with it pre-loaded.

I was doing some reading and while the Nvidia Shield is superior to the FireStick in overall hardware and has better app support due to it natively being Android TV, is the price of entry worth it?

I mean I spent $40 on my FireStick and the Shield is going to be about $300 due me liking the idea of having the Pro version.

I don't mind tinkering with the FireStick but it seems like a good portion of my performance issues would vanish with the better hardware.

Has anyone owned both and could give some feedback?

Maybe when it comes to video streaming they both do the job even if on different levels. But that where similarity ends and for the rest comparing them is like comparing banana to apple. Shield is basically a game console with game streaming capability while Fire Stick is video streaming device with some casual gaming.

Processor Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 Ghz/ 4790K (4.3Ghz but now @ STOCK)
Motherboard Cheap Biostar TA890FXE/ GA-B85N Phoenix-WIFI
Cooling Corsair H50/ Corsair H80i
Memory G. Skill Ripjaws 16gigs/ 16gigs of Ballistic Tracers
Video Card(s) HIS 6950 unlocked to 6970/ EVGA GTX 970 FTW
Storage 2 Corsair Force 80gigs SSD Raid 0(OS)*1.5TB Seagate 7200.11(Backup/Data)/ Samsung 850 EVO 500G mSATA
Display(s) 28 inch LG Flatron LCD/ 144hz Asus VG248 & LG 34UM57P Ultrawide
Case 8 dollar case I got from Frys/ INWIN 901 (mITX)
Audio Device(s) Onboard/ Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX850W/ Cooler Master V700 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Taipan (Battlefield 4 Edition)
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Battlefield 4 Edition)
Software W7 Ultimate/ Windows 10 Pro
I have both and enjoy using them. I say the shield is nice for gaming and 4k streaming. You can save about 100 bucks if you go with the base model shield, since it has expandable storage I don't see the use in buying the pro version. On the fire stick have you tried running Kodi on a slim down fork made especially for the fire stick with the cache optimized? I do that on mine and noticed a huge improvement, hardly any lag any more. Divergence by SCHISM is awesome.