• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial On Intel and Their $7B White House Affair

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
By now, we've all seen, or at least heard, about Intel CEO's Brian Kraznich Fab 42 announcement (done from the Oval Office, no less). It was to be a joint press conference to announce a highly impactful investment on U.S. soil, which also turned into some welcome PR for Intel, and got the CEO some face time with the President.

It has to be said though, that hailing this as a Trump administration win is simply politics doing its best: spinning the truth for its own benefit. I say this because the original announcement for the construction of this Arizona fab was done way back in 2011, with then Intel CEO Paul Otellini breaking the news that they would spend $5 billion on the plant during the Obama Administration. Construction started that year, with overall expectation for its completion being somewhere around 2013. Cue the usual delays, and enter 2013's 10% decline of the PC market, and Intel did what any sensible company would do in the wake of lower expected volume of shipments (and respectively lower production needs) - they postponed the opening of the factory, indefinitely, instead choosing to improve manufacturing capability of its then already-operational fabs. So, the factory wasn't announced because of President Trump's policies and overall government acumen, nor is it probably going to be finished by the time his first term ends.

Krzanich didn't make this announcement because the "tax and regulatory policies" of the Trump administration are "advantageous". Kraznich did it in a show of force and open support for President Trump (as Kraznich has a past of doing), and if there's one thing we know of Intel (and every other major corporation focused on profit) is that everything happens for the bottom-line. The question of "why now" isn't answered with "because of President Trump's policies". It's answered by Krzanich's internal memo to Intel employees: because growing demand means Intel must increase production capacity. A sign of the times is the fact that the Arizona fab was originally projected to push Intel's 14 nm manufacturing capability, but has now been re-purposed as an accelerator towards Intel's 7 nm aspirations.

Although it has to be said, as President Trump himself would, that Arizona workers will be very happy: 10,000 jobs is a whole big number - full of zeroes. Arizona is second only to Nevada in overall population growth rate, and job creation is one of the most important economic growth factors. Though that's not the real number of workers: that's the best-case scenario. The real number of direct jobs to be created by this investment is around 3,000, with up to 10,000 jobs being created "in support" of the factory, as Kraznich himself put it (such as new businesses opening to support the infrastructure and the increased number of employed workers).

In fact, President Trump's administration hasn't even made a concrete, thought-out move towards tax breaks on American companies, though he did promise a 15% reduction in taxes while campaigning. So far, the only thing they've done on that camp is freezing new and outstanding regulations to fall into place, as well as adopting a purely "less is better" approach to tax regulation: for every new tax regulation, cut two previously existing ones".

Now personally, I find it to be extremely disconcerting that President Trump's administration has the most clearly-defined trend of donations having bought top spots in the Trump administration, in what can be called influence peddling, even avoiding such boresome proceedings as ethic reviews for conflicts of interest.

All in all, I just think these are way too many coincidences to be just that. It seems simply as just yet another pivot, another case of one hand washes the other in the cutthroat world of corporate interests and political favor, of chess played (and paid) with billions. Let's face the proverbial elephant in the oval office: Intel's announcement is a complete farce, being indicative of an unhealthy balance of powers between those that be at the White House and corporate interests.

I understand how negative all of this sounds. But every case must be considered as-is, and this one simply isn't. There are healthy, transparent, strengthening bonds that a government can have with the corporations that are the lifeblood of its economic development, which positively impact the every-man's life. Tax cuts may be one of them, by increasing the amount of leeway a company can have on its own internal investment, R&D, increased employment and better conditions for its workforce. Government subsidies, which propel promising startups which then grow on to provide new, competitive businesses and thus reinforce the economy - of which Intel has received at least $5.9 billion dollars itself, from tax rebates to federal grants, including almost $100 million in property tax immunities (while AMD itself has received only about $11 million). Another good example is how governments supported what were, at their infancy, extremely low-margin business (like the solar panel and renewable energies companies), eventually ushering us all into developments that will only improve the quality of life for us and our children.

There are ways of doing things; both President Trump and Kraznich may even know how to do them, and have certainly done some of them before.

But then, then there are ways of how not to do things.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Well written. It is not easy to tackle this issue, or any other on politics, on a tech media website. But when things happen that affect everyone, and especially us enthusiasts, then we owe it to ourselves to take a detailed eye at it- no matter where we lie on the political spectrum

Good job mixing in your opinion with facts, and as an editorial this was a good read.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
If you look in a little further, you'll see that Trump and some corporations are basically boosting each other. This is no different, just a PR stunt.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Trump is a protectionist and Intel are fricking massive.

PS. America first, thanks for the investment, massive group hug.

I saw this coming when your sister site posted the same.
First of all, why all these twisty stinky non-proven non-executed politics on TPU? Jumping on the daily hysteria bandwagon?
Why talk about a bunch of hair that tweets like farts that has not done anything yet?

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
100% pure 3 minute Intel commercial at the oval office.

How can a business decide on expansion when laws are not in even place yet.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Intel, which got that israeli genious team designing their chips, and then manufactured elsewhere, is the "least-American chip company" I can imagine.
Sure, Trump isn't well informed and he's not a techie either. If I was him I would look at AMD instead....

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Software Windows 10 x64
Well written. It is not easy to tackle this issue, or any other on politics, on a tech media website. But when things happen that affect everyone, and especially us enthusiasts, then we owe it to ourselves to take a detailed eye at it- no matter where we lie on the political spectrum

Good job mixing in your opinion with facts, and as an editorial this was a good read.

Thanks a lot, VSG. There was definitely a hard, thin line to try and thread here

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

+1

Thanks a lot, VSG. There was definitely a hard, thin line to try and thread here
+1

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
On property tax immunities.... Doesn't Intel own a LOT more property than AMD?

I look at it like this: IF 3000 jobs are being created here, in the US, versus somewhere else, even for marketing purposes or political purposes, it's still a good thing for those 3000 people, regardless.

I would HOPE that the average person would be able to look at the situation and perceive what is actually going on.

I don't forsee Trump getting a second term, BUT, if that happens it means 1) Four years from now the country is still here AND in one piece and 2) That Trump got SOMETHING right during his first term.

I love technology and computers so I root for Intel's continued existence and success but I also acknowledge that they are in it 99.9% for profit and MAYBE slightly for humanitarian reasons, if at all.

I wish there were more tech companies to root for but we're stuck with what we have.

When I think of Intel I really root for the company collectively, as a whole, because I know that most of their workers have the same struggles that I do and they probably see and hear from their CEO as often as I did Jeff Bezos when I worked at Amazon: NEVER.

If you look in a little further, you'll see that Trump and some corporations are basically boosting each other. This is no different, just a PR stunt.

Obama got Intel to invest 5 billion but only used 1.7 billion on that facility once it was halted it used the rest of the money to renovate existing factories

Trump got Intel to invest 7 billion. yet to see how its spent

2 billion difference.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Do you know how to kill a tech site? Introduce politics. Obama used Intel as well.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Do you know how to kill a tech site? Introduce politics. Obama used Intel as well.

It's an editorial as opposed to a news article or a review. I don't have any issues with it, since it directly pertains to technology relevant to this website.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Drama is made in the mind of the reader, it's fact based I liked it

System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
For the love of all that's good, KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS SITE!

Stick with tech news and info please!

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Just a recommendation, why not mark this as an "editorial" in the title or something?

I mean, I concur 100% with all your points but strictly speaking this isn't news, it's an opinion piece.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just a recommendation, why not mark this as an "editorial" in the title or something?

I mean, I concur 100% with all your points but strictly speaking this isn't news, it's an opinion piece.
That I looked for , good point.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Much thanks to OP for the thoughtful, deliberate post.
Obama got Intel to invest 5 billion but only used 1.7 billion on that facility once it was halted it used the rest of the money to renovate existing factories

Trump got Intel to invest 7 billion. yet to see how its spent

2 billion difference.
???

Source for this? Because Intel did spend 1.7 billion on that plant, only it was back in 1980... the OP tells the rest of the story of the plant accurately, at least according to reports.

As far as reports are concerned, neither Obama or Trump had anything to do with Intel's investments into their plant, but more the conditions of the Wassenaar Arrangement.

The OP went through great lengths to show that Intel's decisions were unrelated to whoever was president at the time. I think this is important to note, not to avoid discussing politics, but to acknowledge the reality that Intel is a corporation that makes decisions based on their bottom-line.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2014/01/why-intels-new-17-billion-chandler.html
https://arstechnica.com/business/20...llion-to-finish-a-factory-it-started-in-2011/

Don't bring politics to TPU.
Discussion of politics in a civilized manner never works. You might as well talk to a brick wall.

The same applies to strong brand loyalty some seem to have.

Much thanks to OP for the thoughtful, deliberate post.
???

Source for this? Because Intel did spend 1.7 billion on that plant, only it was back in 1980... the OP tells the rest of the story of the plant accurately, at least according to reports.

As far as reports are concerned, neither Obama or Trump had anything to do with Intel's investments into their plant, but more the conditions of the Wassenaar Arrangement.

The OP went through great lengths to show that Intel's decisions were unrelated to whoever was president at the time. I think this is important to note, not to avoid discussing politics, but to acknowledge the reality that Intel is a corporation that makes decisions based on their bottom-line.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2014/01/why-intels-new-17-billion-chandler.html
https://arstechnica.com/business/20...llion-to-finish-a-factory-it-started-in-2011/

I believe your referring to this ?

BizJournals said:
Intel has been cranking out personal computer chips at its Chandler facility since 1980.

You do realize that Intel has 4 Fabs on that campus. Fab 32, Fab 22 & Fab 12 along with the new one Fab 42.

BizJournals said:
Intel Corp.’s decision to leave a roughly $1.7 billion fab in Chandler empty for now is an example of how fast the technology industry is moving away from what the semiconductor maker does best.

^Fab 42

Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
For the love of all that's good, KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS SITE!

Stick with tech news and info please!

Raevenlord pretty much open the floodgates on that. Intentional or not, him writing this basically gives everyone the thumbs up to talk about politics. To argue, comment, or encourage members not to write about politics, it is irrelevant at this point. The only reason why it is on TPU is because it relates to Intel. My only question is it intentional to brag about Trump helping to bolster his image, or is it simply to state some news about Intel building a factory.

Just my 2 cents:

When I read this article, what came to mind is this. If I wasn't mistaken, MSNBC mentioned that the government's spending budget would increase the deficit. I'm estimating it was going to be around 10x the current deficit over 10 years, but these figures could be exaggerated to some degree. What I am getting at in this post, Intel is probably going to get a handout from Trump so Intel can build their new factory. It would make sense if you consider the question why didn't Intel build their factory during Obama's administration if the capita was never an issues when they talked about it. The obvious difference would point out a rational course of action and why Intel is more motivated to move forward. If Intel is helping Trump improve his image, it isn't going to happen or even put a dent. I wouldn't even purchase a Cannonlake processor with 12c/24t at at 5.0ghz if it was some special i7 9800k "Trump Edition" dedicated to him. This thought alone would drive me to AMD, and i'd be looking to invest some big bucks in anything more than 18 cores per cpu for rendering.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Software Windows 10 x64

Yo be fair, it Is marked as editorial right under the title, in green :p