• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's First Client Optane Product is a Cache SSD

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Buy cheapest smallest SSD you can buy. Buy PrimoCache. Pair together to a HDD. Cheap SSD performance. There is just no way this Optane thing will be affordable. Not even at such tiny capacities. Cheap 128GB SSD cache will be just better as it'll cache WAY more stuff. And with SSD's, random access is all it matters, not massive sequential speeds. And difference between normal SSD and Optane just isn't that big in real world scenarios.

The only problem with PrimoCache is it doesn't accelerate writes. Otherwise that would be a good alternative.

Hell, Intel already has this same technology. They are just rehashing Smart Response SSD Caching using a super fast XPoint drive(and hence super expensive), and they are still limiting it to 16/32GB. At least Smart Response with a standard SSD lets you use 64GB. I'd be far happier if they just remove the size limit on Smart Response and let use use as much SSD space for caching as we can. At least with Smart Response I can accelerate writes as well as reads.

PrimoCache can accelerate writes if you change the cache flushing mode so it uses RAM as huge buffer. Only recommended for systems with UPS units or laptops though. But realistically, writes are done sequentially in 90% of cases. It's the reads that are always all over the place as programs fetch the data from various sources.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
I can't think of any practical use case where I could take advantage of this technology and quite sure that if I ever do, that it wont be for anything less than 2-3 years.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
PrimoCache can accelerate writes if you change the cache flushing mode so it uses RAM as huge buffer. Only recommended for systems with UPS units or laptops though. But realistically, writes are done sequentially in 90% of cases. It's the reads that are always all over the place as programs fetch the data from various sources.

I don't like RAM cache, for obvious reasons. It can't cache writes using the SSD, so it isn't as useful as Smart Response, IMO. Primocache keeps claiming they are going to support SSD write caching in version 3.0, but it's been about a year since they said that and there hasn't been any work on it since...

PrimoCache is great if you are on an AMD system and can't use Smart Response, but if you are on Intel Smart Response work better. It seems this cache SSD is just an extension of Smart Response, but they made it worse by limiting the size to 16/32GB. If Intel would just remove the size limit of Smart Response, it'd be perfect.

I've had Smart Response and it was garbage. Clumsy and limited. And all the fiddling with the RAID driver and the program, total fail. PrimoCache was much better. Besides, why do you need to cache writes? 99% of consumers will never need that.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I've had Smart Response and it was garbage. Clumsy and limited. And all the fiddling with the RAID driver and the program, total fail. PrimoCache was much better. Besides, why do you need to cache writes? 99% of consumers will never need that.

Most of the consumers will not upgrade to Kabylake+ system simple for cache. While for rest of the enthusiasts a fast NVME is more then enough.

Oh my god, you people actually really don't seem to understand anything about SSD caching even though everyone keep talking things about it.

Let me tell this one more time, very sloooooowly even though it's already in a written form...

You have a shite system, you buy a cheapo SSD, you pair it into hybrid array with the existing HDD and you get tremendous boost for the cheap without sacrificing any capacity. That's literally all there is to it. Only application I can see for this Optane thing is if you have 10TB HDD (because you just need the raw capacity and there isn't even any SSD in existence with such capacity) and you want sort of performance of a SSD. Only problem here is that this "new" Intel's "solution" only has 32GB max which is just garbage for drive of 10TB because it'll constantly shuffling data back and forth in the cache, totally negating the whole point of the cache (because you'll have crap hit ratio). Ergo, this tech is absolutely pointless even if it works at the speed of light.

People with no money will stay on HDD only
People with money will go to SSD only
People that need capacity (but don't want to RAID SSD's) with almost the speed of SSD will go with hybrid array, but not Optane because of crap cache capacity

Is there really anything more than needs to be said? This thing is totally pointless and serves absolutely no purpose and fills absolutely nothing in the market, because there isn't even any gap for it. Good old SSD caching systems filled and dominated that gap ages ago. And even with that people insist on using pointless retarded SSD boot drives and separate HDD as crap stand alone data storage unit (where hybrid would benefit them EVERYWHERE). But like this thread proved, people just don't understand it which is why no one used it. I did and it was great. I went to full SSD so the system wasn't clicking through the night as I sleep next to the system. And because I could.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

I write to my storage drive all the time. It's part of having a large storage drive, I write large files to it.

And I've never had a problem with Smart Response, it was easy to set up and the only limitation was the size of the cache. I'm not sure what you are complaining about with fiddling with the driver and program. It was easier to setup up than Primocache was.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You can't just switch from AHCI to RAID , system won't boot and Intel software wasn't recognizing the drive...

Set the SATA controller to RAID before you install Windows or spend the 60 seconds applying the fix in Windows that lets you switch from AHCI to RAID. Both extremely easy solutions.

Set the SATA controller to RAID before you install Windows or spend the 60 seconds applying the fix in Windows that lets you switch from AHCI to RAID. Both extremely easy solutions.

Because you always happen to have an empty system when adding a NEW cache device to an EXISTING system, right? As for the "fix", if you don't know about it, dealing with boot BSOD isn't exactly something we just know how to deal with. It's a whole procedure.

People with no money will stay on HDD only
People with money will go to SSD only
People that need capacity (but don't want to RAID SSD's) with almost the speed of SSD will go with hybrid array, but not Optane because of crap cache capacity

Is there really anything more than needs to be said? This thing is totally pointless and serves absolutely no purpose and fills absolutely nothing in the market, because there isn't even any gap for it. Good old SSD caching systems filled and dominated that gap ages ago. And even with that people insist on using pointless retarded SSD boot drives and separate HDD as crap stand alone data storage unit (where hybrid would benefit them EVERYWHERE). But like this thread proved, people just don't understand it which is why no one used it. I did and it was great. I went to full SSD so the system wasn't clicking through the night as I sleep next to the system. And because I could.

I concur with this.

You don't even need that much money nowadays to go full SSD, for OS, applications.
500GB-ish SSD can be had for lower than 150$, I see even in 130$ range and any SSD will run in circles around HDD.

This cache drive is expensive at 77$, I'd rather put 50$ more for full SSD.
If you are really budget constricted, and really want some caching you could buy for 30$ 60GB regular SSD and use Intel SRT for the more or less the same result, probably slightly lower speed when full cache is hit, but better overall performance due to double the cache size, which means there is a much greater chance for something to be found in the cache.

And if 500GB is not enough for you, the cache cannot help you in any way, as you probably deal with volumes which are far bigger than 16 or 32 GB of cache.

It depends. I have 128GB in my laptop for years. And before that, I had SSD in a netbook. That was back when SSD was kinda unheard of in a notebook. I don't store much stuff on them anyway so it's fine. But on my main system, I wanted top speed for everything, no compromises. Which is why I got myself Samsung 850 Pro 2TB. It was really the only way and despite being super expensive, I don't regret it. 2TB has been perfect capacity for me for years now and I expect it to serve me well for next several years.

77€ for SSD+software is not that expensive considering the benefits (speed while keeping same capacity). You'll never get combined capacity at SSD performance no matter what you do. It's just not possible for that money. And since cache SSD's are 75% of time doing reads, even cheapest ones should last you years.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Because you always happen to have an empty system when adding a NEW cache device to an EXISTING system, right? As for the "fix", if you don't know about it, dealing with boot BSOD isn't exactly something we just know how to deal with. It's a whole procedure.

If google is too hard to use, you shouldn't be tinkering with computers. It isn't a whole procedure. If you do it manually, you have to change a whole one entry in the registry. If you google it, there are reg file available that makes the change for you with a simple double click.

Of course, with Windows 10 you don't have to do anything. It actually adjusts itself and boots just fine in my experience.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
The same old school Smart Response with mSATA SSDs boosting the performance of conventional HDDs.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Caching that isn't fast like ram is stupid and a waste of money.

And RST? What a joke. That's nothing but a massive mem leak for me (regardless of driver ver).