• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Destiny 2 Officially Confirmed for PC

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Destiny. The game where you play as an intergalactic zombie animated by a pulsing light. The game where you listen to Nolan North's voice over the remains of Peter Dinklage's forays into such powerful wording as "That wizard came from the moon!" and "We've woken the Hive!". A universe worth at least a promise of $500 million dollars in investment. A Universe that has constantly evolved through updates to loot and some drastic gameplay alters throughout its overly long lifetime, married with carefully crafted gameplay and gunplay, satisfying powers, and the promise of an epic tale which ultimately falls flat (though your mileage may vary.) Difficulties with the game engine - probably holdouts from it Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 support - made the workflow for creating new content a reported nightmare for the developers, which impeded their ability to deliver their vision of content for a game that looked much more ambitious than it actually turned out to be.

Yup, that game is coming to the PC. Well, not Destiny itself. But its sequel, Destiny 2, which seems to be putting all its stock on Nathan Fillion's Cayde-6 to carry the story with his witty humor and overall screen presence. Destiny 2 looks to marry Bungie's "60 seconds of fun" perfected throughout the Halo series with a riveting, non-back-flipped story, and the promise of enough story-driven content to basically become the only game you'll ever want to play. Here's hoping that leaving the older platforms behind let Bungie finally fulfill at least part of their vision for a Universe that is amazingly detailed in lore and backstory. And now (well, September 8th), you will be able to do so with the fine-grained control of your PC mouse of choice.

What a time to be a semi-alive Guardian.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Might actually pick it up then. The trailer got me interested, and I haven't played a FPS looter since Borderlands 2 in coop on 360.

Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard Msi Z170i Pro Gaming AC
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP
Memory Corsair LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming W3
Storage Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX
Mouse Logitech MX Master, Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Corsair K65RGB
Software Win 10
This has me really stoked! Can't wait

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
With all investment Destiny is the best example of YOUR money getting wasted on marketing, advertising and a whole lot of nothing.

Where are we now, 1/3rds of the way in to this ten year disaster and all we have is weak excuses, no PC version for the first third of the series and overall an extremely grindy game with identity crisis trying to sell you overpriced DLC that contain two maps and some new items each.

I'll pass, thanks Bungie

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
With all investment Destiny is the best example of YOUR money getting wasted on marketing, advertising and a whole lot of nothing.

Where are we now, 1/3rds of the way in to this ten year disaster and all we have is weak excuses, no PC version for the first third of the series and overall an extremely grindy game with identity crisis trying to sell you overpriced DLC that contain two maps and some new items each.

I'll pass, thanks Bungie

Wait so first you complain about their not being a PC version, then go on saying the game is crap anyway?

Also there is way too much opinion sold as facts in your comment tbh, how so is the DLC overpriced? what does other equivalent content DLC cost compared to it?
I also must say that grinding is not perse bad, some people just want everything gifted to them right away, others like the search because they like the game... like Warframe really.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Destiny. The game where you play as an intergalactic zombie animated by a pulsing light.

Hey, spoilers! :p

{sarcasm}
And you mean interplanetary.
{/sarcasm}

I'll pass, thanks Bungie

Blame Activation. As a holding company that only tries to make money off of the labors of other companies like Bungie, they focus only on ongoing revenue streams (little bits of DLC that keep you playing) instead of large scale changes that happen (that require tons of investment).

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I honestly was so disappointed with Destiny I don't know where I stand on the sequel. The first release promised so much and basically delivered nothing but "You're back from the dead, things are happening, go kill aliens" and basically giving us game play that revolves around either bullet sponge enemies or Horde mode. I know the expansions added some stuff to the game but its a joke for what you got in the base game and then being expected to fork over at least as much money just to get some of the stuff promised.

I really did enjoy the way the guns and stuff felt, just felt like there was so little to do in the game and the rewards system was so flawed I was just getting bored instantly.

Nice. Now we can play a version with aimbots and watch other guys reach level 1000 in one week.

Processor Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING AC
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 165Hz
Case NZXT H400i
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Cooler Master - Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Orrrrrr pick up Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition for a tenner (10$) and have A LOT more fun and worthwile DLC.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I like the part of the video, which says "pre-order and get an early beta access". Sounds way too familiar, given the high budget and suspicious "platform insecurity".
Personally, I haven't played Destiny, but my younger brother bought a PS4 just for that. Few weeks later it was only used to watch Netflix.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wait so first you complain about their not being a PC version, then go on saying the game is crap anyway?

Also there is way too much opinion sold as facts in your comment tbh, how so is the DLC overpriced? what does other equivalent content DLC cost compared to it?
I also must say that grinding is not perse bad, some people just want everything gifted to them right away, others like the search because they like the game... like Warframe really.

The fact that they switch to PC now says everything about the business plan: the goal is maximized profits, not a strong game with a strong community that is going to last. The DLC are a problem because you buy a full game that is extremely thin in content, to justify the release of said DLC and you already know you will need all of them to really make the 'grind' worthwhile. It is a business plan that belongs with an MMO, but Destiny is just an instanced loot shooter. That is what I call identity crisis. You also get all of the drawbacks of an MMO but almost none of the advantages, such as a game world where you can actually find each other which offers a great sense of immersion (and peer to peer competition, look at WoW and its long lasting success for a good implementation of all this). All Destiny really is, is a community hub with a series of linear maps attached to it. If you get down to basics: Destiny is a glorified server list and Looking For Group tool so you can go off grinding the same monotonous instances until you drop. No world PVP, no 'down time fun', no world PVE, etc etc etc. The only difference with a game such as Counterstrike is that you keep your guns and 'get stronger' so you can see a bigger number on screen, oh yeah, and you barely have to be able to aim.

Destiny got released with lots of noise about a 'ten year long plan' and experience, with a massive budget. If you see what that budget has produced up till now and how it is being handled as a 'ten year long' experience, you have to admit it is rather strange to let a large potential fan base just experience 2/3rds of that 'ten year plan'. Don't you agree? And is the Destiny 1 that is feature complete now, really representative of a 30 million dollar spent?

Now, place Destiny alongside another loot shooter that can go online, such as Borderlands. Compare its content and its price. Compare the degree of freedom you have in Borderlands with the spoonfeeding, always online required, meticulously tweaked and artificially low-droprate Destiny. Destiny offers nothing unique, costs an arm and a leg, and imposes numerous limitations upon the player.

Last edited: