• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aqua Computers Introduces the kryoM.2 Micro M.2 SSD Cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Aqua Computers kryoM.2 micro is a passive heatsink for M.2 SSDs which is simply clipped onto the SSD with the enclosed stainless steel clips. Before this, the enclosed thermal pad for the front and an isolation sticker for the back must be applied. The cooling performance is sufficient for many applications and due to the compact dimensions, the SSD with kryoM.2 micro fits almost all M.2 slots on mainboards.

During assembly, the SSD is not subjected to mechanical stress. The clips are slid on from the sides and then clamped onto the edge of the heat sink. The clamp does not touch the edge of the SSD board while doing this.

Key features of the kryoM.2 micro:
  • Compact design for mounting in almost all motherboard slots for M.2 SSDs
  • High quality heat sink made of black anodized aluminum with laser engraving
  • Stainless steel clips for easy and safe assembly
  • High quality thermal pad included
  • Sticker for electrical isolation of the clips on the backside of the SSD included
The kryoM.2 micro is available as of now and costs 9.90 Euro. Orders can be already placed in Aqua Computers Webshop.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard ASUS PROArt Z690 Creator WiFi
Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 280
Memory Kingston 32GB DDR5 @ 6200 MT/s
Video Card(s) Palit RTX3070 GamingPRO
Storage TrueNAS CORE
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply SEASONIC CONNECT 750W
would like to see a review of this

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
A simple fan moving air across the chip surface would suffice, they are trying to make it look like it will work faster or something by making these products. Which has already been proven to be un true.

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
A simple fan moving air across the chip surface would suffice, they are trying to make it look like it will work faster or something by making these products. Which has already been proven to be un true.

I don't know about that.... These aftermarket heat sinks really do help tame those temps along with a flow of air. More so with the built-in M.2's that are susceptible to heat soak from GPU's, if you have one mounted.

I did my own test with a couple of these PCie based ones and noticed a difference in temps. I'd imagine it would be much more dramatic with a motherboard M.2 slot.

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1591795/build-log-caselabs-mercury-s5-projectevo/50_50#post_25172007

System Name Custom build
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASrock B550M
Cooling Wraith Max
Memory DDR4 4000 16x2GB
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500GB
Display(s) ASUS VG236H 120Hz
Case N/A
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software Win 10 x64

I've asked TPU members on how to mix and match NVMe and AHCI drives in a thread a while ago
and I did end up buying a 960 Pro for my brother's PC.

As expected the thing throttles itself relatively fast, even though there is enough airflow through the case.

Everything else is at excellent temps, the 7700k we ended up buying is ultra cool under 212 evo.

Case fans everywhere, but the SSD still throttles, I ended up buying mini heatsinks to attach to it, and it helps a lot, tried a 40mm fan and it works well but attaching it is weird.

I am going to buy this thing as soon as I can for his SSD so I can remove the odd looking heatsinks I attached and if I end up upgrading my PC im gonna grab these too.
-
A fan like you said is a good idea, ASUS even has 3D printing parts to attach 40mm fans to SSDs, as opposed to case fans alone.

The other solutions failed because they either:
-Trapped the heat under a "heat shield". Good idea right there /s
-Applied thermal pads UNDER the SSD

This does it how it was supposed to be done.

(Inb4 its never going to be available where I am)