• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pre-orders Available for LG's 32UD99 Display: 4K, HDR10, Freesync for $999

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
OFFTOPIC

Wow, never thought about that.

Samsung KS9000 can dish out 1000 nits.
LG OLED55e6d is about 600 nits.

Guess which one is hands down OMG how much better when they are next to each other... :)

"Where the 55KS9000 stumbled somewhat was during HDR playback. The high light output required by HDR led to contamination of the letterbox black bars in cinemascope 4K HDR films, owing to where the LEDs are located and how light is distributed. We’re informed that this sort of LED configuration was absolutely necessary to coax 1000 nits from an edge-lit system, so the blooming artefact was unavoidable if viewers wanted to scale the HDR heights without clipping or remapping."
Since OLEDs have technically infinite contrast (perfect blacks) and LCDs do not and never will do, specification requirements to get ULTRA HD PREMIUM certification is different for each of 'em. OLEDs are superior in every single way (okay, except longevity - but even that shouldn't be a concern anymore), and that's why the last remaining straw left for LCDs' marketing ploy to clutch at, is boasting about LCDs' peak brightness, since for the uneducated (read as the majority of the population) higher numbers generally translate into "more awesome".

UHD Alliance said:
A combination of peak brightness and black level either:
• More than 1000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level
OR
• More than 540 nits peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level
Source

Old LED those local dimming were horrid new ones are better at it. Your going to pay a premium for it.
OLEDs don't need and don't do local dimming - that's one of OLEDs' biggest advantages...

facepalm.jpg

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Since OLEDs have technically infinite contrast (perfect blacks) and LCDs do not and never will do, specification requirements to get ULTRA HD PREMIUM certification is different for each of 'em. OLEDs are superior in every single way (okay, except longevity - but even that shouldn't be a concern anymore), and that's why the last remaining straw left for LCDs' marketing ploy to clutch at, is boasting about LCDs' peak brightness, since for the uneducated (read as the majority of the population) higher numbers generally translate into "more awesome".

Source

OLEDs don't do local dimming...

View attachment 86245
OLED's perfect blacks are a myth. Yes, the OLED is turned off, thus it emits no light. But the brightness is not zero, because the surface, even if it doesn't emit any light, will still reflect it. So depending on how you build the display, you'll get different levels of black (mind you, still below what LCD achieves).

Software Win10
OLED's perfect blacks are a myth. Yes, the OLED is turned off, thus it emits no light. But the brightness is not zero, because the surface, even if it doesn't emit any light, will still reflect it. So depending on how you build the display, you'll get different levels of black (mind you, still below what LCD achieves).
That's why I said technically. And the deciding factor is inciding light. But that also heavily affects LCDs. A light controlled room is obviously giving you the best results.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
That's why I said technically. And the deciding factor is inciding light. But that also heavily affects LCDs. A light controlled room is obviously giving you the best results.
True. It just irks me when reviewers just go: it's OLED, thus it has infinite contrast - end of story.
At the same time, it's hard to actually measure the contrast, because tools that do so cover the screen, so there's no ambient light to speak of. But we're still not getting infinite contrast irl.

OLEDs don't need and don't do local dimming - that's one of OLEDs' biggest advantages...

Wasn't even addressing OLEDs. Just that the comparison is outdated.

View attachment 86245

as for OLED they are still relatively new and issues that have been sorted out with LED will have to be ironed out with OLED and the coming QD.

Burn-In
Peak return

In the TV space those are lesser issues but still can be problematic. programs and channels that have a static logo or ticker. PC you have to worry about it more. Long hours on the same image or a game played for several hours on peaks and UIs.

Last edited:
Software Win10

View attachment 86245

as for OLED they are still relatively new and issues that have been sorted out with LED will have to be ironed out with OLED and the coming QD.

Burn-In
Peak return

In the TV space those are lesser issues but still can be problematic. programs and channels that have a static logo or ticker. PC you have to worry about it more. Long hours on the same image or a game played for several hours on peaks and UIs.
I can confirm that burn-in is a non-issue. The image retention is not permanent.

I wouldn't know about that. Over here the first two LoTR movies are only available in stereo. And a search for "Breakfast at Tiffany's" returns stupid suggestions instead of the classic movie. Recent Avengers (et al) are unavailable. So are "Friends" or "The Big Bang Theory".
There are some good movies/tv series available, but not enough to keep me subscribed.

Okay, so since YOU don't have access to sources with HDR content it's scarce. Makes sense. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has more than enough of the content, I don't have enough time to watch all the things with HDR nor do I want to watch that much of anything haha :D

View attachment 86245

Burn-In
Peak return

Haven't OLED units been out for over 5 years already? Seems like a long time ago when they first came out although there wasn't and still isn't a large market demanding many models.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Okay, so since YOU don't have access to sources with HDR content it's scarce. Makes sense. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has more than enough of the content, I don't have enough time to watch all the things with HDR nor do I want to watch that much of anything haha :D
I fell dumber just for reading that nonsense.

I only said HDR content isn't the norm (and won't be for years) and when/if you go for a HDR monitor or TV you should check that you have HDR stuff to display. Because HDR monitors command a sizeable premium.

IPS usually calibrates in the 0.12-0.14cd/sqm. Can get as low as 0.10cd/sqm. That translates into 2,500:1-2,900:1 typical static contrast (3,600:1-4,200:1 peak static contrast).
I wouldn't be surprised if this panel is the 0.10cd/sqm (or lower) variety, though.

Still, as usual, specs are one thing, but the real question is: do you have HDR content to display? I'd consider one of these for photo editing, but video HDR content is still very, very scarce. And simply forcing content into HDR space will only make your eyes bleed.

Umm, quoted you, maybe you'll understand what you posted. Anyhow, I'll just put you on an ignore/block list from this point on if possible ha, you're just clowning on here.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Umm, quoted you, maybe you'll understand what you posted. Anyhow, I'll just put you on an ignore/block list from this point on if possible ha, you're just clowning on here.
Yes, there's much less HDR content compared to SDR. If you have access to 500 hours of HDR content and wish to call that plenty, good for you.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Maybe try using the multi-quote Th3pwn3r? :)

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
LGs actually dim logos automatically, to avoid just that.

At least on paper they have quite a longevity I'd add.

LGs actually dim logos automatically, to avoid just that.

At least on paper they have quite a longevity I'd add.

There is quite a few videos. One goes into detail about 4-5hr a day use of OLED for a monitor and his Chrome browser bar is burn-in permanently LIGHTLY. He also goes on and details non-permanent burn-in from 3hr side by side windows that take hours to go away. 4-5hrs a day use is not even a work day. If your experience that bad of burn ins in that time frame ew. Those are the kind of issues that will have to be addressed going forward.

As well as the peak return, especially if your doing HDR content. OLED get certified at just above half of the HDR standard nits so they have that going for them. Not even looking at DV content which is currently mastered at 4k nits. Thats another issue in it of itself but more so with lowering the bar then meeting it. All flavors of tech should meet and exceed standards not be certified below them.

Last edited:
Maybe try using the multi-quote Th3pwn3r? :)
I did make an attempt to do that and failed harder than Bug whenever he posts something silly. I haven't figured out how to multiquote properly. I hit multi, pick a couple and then reply?

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
;)

Yep. Might need to hit "insert quotes" too.

Software Win10
Wow, that facepalm should've been directed at me then. How could I miss that. I need to up my skimming skills or read more thoroughly at work.
My apologies Xzibit! :respect: