• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Says Vega is "On Track" for Q2 2017 Release

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
It's late in that nvidia had this performance level a whole year ago. The PC world moves fast. Coming out a year after your competitor with a product that only matches their performance (and it is highly unlikely that AMD will be able to match perf/watt or OC capability) for the same price is a great way to make yourself irrelevant.

AMD either needed a bigger polaris to fight the 1070 or needed to release vega. They did neither, and now face a market that already has the performance AMD is offering.

The failure that was bulldozer/piledriver/steamroller/excavator was a monumental failure, but as much as people want to blame intel/nvidia, AMD did this to themselves.

The core 2 came out in 2006. It took AMD two whole years to strap some L3 cache onto their core design, and they failed at doing even that.

AMD mismanaged the entire ATI aquisition, and payed far too much inthe process. They also failed to properly merge these two separate workforces for almost a decade. They also took nearly as long to finally get ATI's drivers close to nvidia's quality wise, and even then it took nvidia having an attrocious year of releases for it to happen. Even THEN, there are still some long running bugs that have not been fixed.

AMD spent 9 months rebranding their 200 series under the guise of preparing new GPUs to fight nividia, even though they had a newer arch (GCN1.2/tonga) to work with, and plenty of time to implement it. 1.2 was already taped out, they just needed to make more GPUs based on said design. the 300 series proceeded to bomb, resulting in AMD's lowest marketshare in their history of GPUs.

AMD launched a GPU line that was only competitive with 2 year old maxwell chips, and left the mid range, high end, and halo markets completely untouched, allowing nvidia to rake in cash. Even though there were plenty who would buy AMD in sheer spite of nvidia's dodgy business practices, AMD just sat on the tech and did nothing with it. This also cost them most of the dGPU laptop market, another major money maker for nvidia.

AMD sabatoged their entire CPU/APU lineup. After seeing that the construction core was an abysmal failure, they continued to push it, moving their APU line to bulldozer (and wiping out the good momentum Llano made, as bulldozer did terribly in low wattage situations) and allowed OEMS to make abysmally low quality laptops with their chips for years. Then AMD proceeded to claim they just were not going to compete with intel, shaking whatever trust they had left.

Everything up there? all AMD's doing. Not intels, not nvidias, not the illuminatis or gods, AMD's. Intel dug a small hole, AMD made it into a grave and willingly buried itself in it. So yes, I am critical of AMD, because this is a company that has had many great technologies and proceeded to obliterate their own company instead of capitalizing on that tech many times over the last decade. Somehow, I have doubt that a company like this, that has botched launch after launch, can pull off making a VEGA chip that is competitive, especially given their lackluster budget and the splitting of resources between vega and polaris. 3DFX couldnt do it at the height of their power, somehow I feel that a bruised and broken AMD cant do it properly either.
You forgot to put Ryzen on the list, a botched launch if I ever saw one.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You forgot to put Ryzen on the list, a botched launch if I ever saw one.

Botched launch but a very competent and competitive CPU. Fits perfectly in my system with M2 drive and 1080ti. Blows my old Sandy-E and 980ti combo out of the water.

Botched?
For a completely new platform been born in a world of hardware and software optimized solely for intel and nvidia product lines is a bit a harsh word IMHO.

Regarding price/performance issues, I'd suggest 2 things:

1. The platform is not even been decentely rumored about right now, I find it difficult someone has a decent overview of the actual performance when paired with different HW configs.
  2. Nvidia monopoly of the last years has brought an insane increase in prices for their higher end cards. The margins are extremely high, expecially if you consider the Titan. AMD has room for an aggressive pricing strategy for the first iteration of the cards. Nvidia BTW, mostly thanks to an outrageous number of fanboys and over leaning press coverages, potentially has amassed the cash to sell at a loss to drown Vega launch and its first few months of life until Volta launch.
The situation is a bit on the uncertain side of the hill to start a flame right now, IMO.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Botched?
For a completely new platform been born in a world of hardware and software optimized solely for intel and nvidia product lines is a bit a harsh word IMHO.

Regarding price/performance issues, I'd suggest 2 things:

1. The platform is not even been decentely rumored about right now, I find it difficult someone has a decent overview of the actual performance when paired with different HW configs.
  2. Nvidia monopoly of the last years has brought an insane increase in prices for their higher end cards. The margins are extremely high, expecially if you consider the Titan. AMD has room for an aggressive pricing strategy for the first iteration of the cards. Nvidia BTW, mostly thanks to an outrageous number of fanboys and over leaning press coverages, potentially has amassed the cash to sell at a loss to drown Vega launch and its first few months of life until Volta launch.
The situation is a bit on the uncertain side of the hill to start a flame right now, IMO.

So.... don't blame the current situation on Nvidia fan boys and PR conspiracy if you dont want to start a flame.

So.... don't blame the current situation on Nvidia fan boys and PR conspiracy if you dont want to start a flame.

There is scientific evidence out there for this claims.
It lays in past price/performance points back when ATI was a company on it's own.

So to summarize i think at the worst case scenario the highest end vega would perform between 1080 and 1080ti, or basically around 50% faster than furyx. And at the best case scenario if we assume the architecture is a solid improvement in per core/shader performance then we could end up with a card twice as fast as furyx

Agree. Most likely the "worst case".

But it won't be the cool fuel sipper that Pascal is. And before long Nvidia will be on to the next generation.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Actually, most of the features in Vega over Polaris are designed to curb power consumption. Like Pascal, Vega is designed to work smarter, not harder.

Agree. Most likely the "worst case".

But it won't be the cool fuel sipper that Pascal is. And before long Nvidia will be on to the next generation.

Well yes but then pascal is a stripped out architecture that will be rendered useless once the next nvidia architecture comes out. AMD on the other hand support their cards for much longer and often build architectures with much untapped potential that keeps them relevant and consistent for atleast 3+ years. If anything there is a reason vega has the same number of cores as fury x yet is rumored to be similar in die size even with being on 14nm. If i was amd and wanted to aim that low i wouldve simple did a die shrink on fury x probably with polaris cores and a conservative 350mm2 die size, clocked it around 1300mhz to perform similar to a 1080 or a bit less. And go from there. But to wait a couple years and release a 500mm2+ chip, there just better be something big up their sleeves

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
So less than 2 months away, sigh.