• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 "Threadripper" Lineup Leaked

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
I'm kinda leaning toward an Intel platform for my new work rig, only because we have a small number of predictable indicators for the Rampage 6 Extreme and Rampage 6 Apex boards. When ROG gives up more facts and specs on their new AMD HEDT mobos, then I may go with an AMD 12-core. Going to be a very exciting next 14days as we move closer to Computex. YAY! :clap:

What an amazing time to be an DIY enthusiast.

Right now I'm running an Asus R5E10 mobo and although it is very beautiful, the Haswell-E IMC architecture (circa August 2014), I do believe was NEVER designed to push DDR4 speeds of 3200MHz/14 latency, as my CPU package temps at idle approach 52C, when enabling the XMP 2.0 memory profile. 3200/14 DDR4 XMP on my Skylake 6700K rig, adds no significant heat at all, the CPU package temps idling at 28C, Go Figure. :D

The Skylake IMC is more advanced, than the Haswell-E, that's my takeaway from owning both platforms. And these AMD HEDT CPU memory specs are way up at 3200MHz, so that may sway my decision also to grab a 12-core "Threadripper". :)

whats up with multiple single rad set up

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Asus is lacking a lot of info these days, I'll assume that they are hard at work. Computex cant come fast enough damn it. I also hope today's press conference fr AMD reveals something interesting.

My R5E10 setup along with the Dom Plats @3000XMP idles around 35-40c.

Don't you have the 5960x? maybe that's partly to blame.
What speed is your proc at? I'm at 4.6

Haswell-e is dated now so I'm with you on the need for change. Some good times are definitely coming, make sure to tag me in your log.

As always sweet rig.
I do need a test bench rig...Any case ideas?

whats up with multiple single rad set up

Also have a 240mm and another 120mm on the left side of the rig (pic below). The benefit is added port numbers, options, and locations.

Not sure if I take a performance hit or not going with 3x120mm vs 1x360mm, but a single 360mm rad offers ports ONLY on a single end of the build, in and out, so the tube runs "somewhere" have to be very long from rad to component.

3x120mm rads offer shorter tubing runs from pump > rad, and rad > monoblock and monoblock > rad (those two 120mm rads near the CPU are to feed the CPU monoblock).
The downside? 3x120 rads cost more than 1x360, plus the added number of fittings needed increases. But the overall aesthetic and port options is vastly improved.

And these Hardware Labs Multiports offer 8ports/rad, so build options are almost endless. :clap:

Sorry for moving offtopic Lord Ravenholm. Just answering a question, Please Forgive. :toast:

Just built it last week, it's beginning to look like Batman's computer. :roll:

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
danbert2000 has no clue.

*Checks eidairaman1's specs, notices all AMD gear*

Oh boy, did I hurt the fanboy's feelings? Hopefully you can get this X399 chipset, that 8350 probably could use an update...

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
So after reading this news (and not posting here for about a year, if not longer) I am sort of in two minds on this.

Whilst this news of a 16 core makes me really happy and I can't wait to see what AMD can do with these beasty chips, I don't think this is the right generation for me to jump & upgrade to -- as I don't think they are going to fix any of the cache overspill, low core clocks and memory issues. From my past experience with AMD, all my money is on the next lot of chips (i.e. Zen+/Pinnacle Ridge) -- as their best chips are always the second gen. Case(s) in point:

Phenom I (Agena) to Phenom II (Deneb and Thuban) -- from barely sub-3GHz OCs to 4.1GHz+, from low-clock DDR2 support to good DDR3 support and much better single and dual threaded performance

Bulldozer/FX 8150 to Piledriver/FX 8350 -- from sub-3.8ish GHZ OCs to 4-4.5GHz+ at lower TDP, much better memory support and improved
multi-threading

These Ryzen chips are their first major architecture upgrade that's hit a home-run in the first generation, so I am seriously tempted to upgrade my ancient 2500K rig, but I want to make sure threaded performance (for apps and games that use 4 cores or less) is not going to handicap it in any way and is at least a minor 25%-ish upgrade from my current rig, and not a trade-off for more cores at lower clocks. We all know it is a matter of time until 8 cores become the standard, but anything beyond is going to take much longer to go mainstream and since Intel has announced 6 core mainstream CPUs, they will be going at it in the Gigahertz race, just like back in the Pentium 4 days (with less cores, but higher clocks). Not that I don't need the extra cores though -- god knows I need as many cores as I can get with 3D rendering/games development and audio editing software that I currently use anyway.

I've just got a feeling Zen+ should work out all the issues/kinks of this platform without any trade-offs -- but hopefully I can still wait until then and they don't plan on delaying its release from Q1/Q2 2018 at latest...fingers crossed...

P.S. also a bit off-topic, but if Vega can improve 1080p performance massively from Fury X, I will build an all-AMD rig for the first time since the Phenom II/Deneb days...can't wait (I'm one of the few people that prefers lower res at higher frame rates than vice versa).

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
*Checks eidairaman1's specs, notices all AMD gear*

Oh boy, did I hurt the fanboy's feelings? Hopefully you can get this X399 chipset, that 8350 probably could use an update...

By the way I'm not a fanboy. I've been on every side of the fence on hardware, I also work for a living, don't get handouts from parents.

I also don't jump in intel threads to spread FUD like you do in AMD threads, so tell me who the fanboy is?

Check the cpu-z spec kiddo. Infact check my Signature. WCG/Folding Loves these units, plus games well.

I already have an upgrade set anyway as the wife needs one from a P4. The only true upgrade was 2011-3 or AM4 or Naples as skt 1366/1156/55/50/51 would just at best be a sidegrade, thus wasteful spending.

Last edited:
From my past experience with AMD, all my money is on the next lot of chips (i.e. Zen+/Pinnacle Ridge) -- as their best chips are always the second gen.
Simply put, AMD is known for releasing stuff fairly early in the testing phase, which sometimes results in some issues for early adopters (but also for AMD to be "first" in some stuff: e.g. 64bit).
Intel's development takes a bit longer, but then we shouldn't be surprised - they have to meet somehow higher expectations (more commercial clients, less gamers).

IanHagen

Yes it is. But I dont think the HEDT series need 16 cores. Why should someone buy a 16 core cpu?

I'd buy them in a heartbeat for the massive reduction in compile times this level of parallelism provides for several programming languages I use, plus the (massively) increased headroom for virtual machines. My wife would do the same for her rendering times.

HEDT goes way past the sole needs of gamers.