• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba Develops World's First 4-bit Per Cell QLC NAND Flash Memory

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. (TAEC) today announced the latest generation of its BiCS FLASH three-dimensional (3D) flash memory. The newest BiCS FLASH device features 4-bit-per-cell, quadruple-level cell (QLC) technology and is the first 3D flash memory device to do so. Toshiba's QLC technology enables larger (768 gigabit) die capacity than the company's third-generation 512Gb 3-bit-per-cell, triple-level cell (TLC), and pushes the boundaries of flash memory technology.

Toshiba's new QLC BiCS FLASH device features a 64-layer stacked cell structure and achieves the world's largest die capacity (768Gb/96GB). QLC flash memory also enables a 1.5-terabyte (TB) device with a 16-die stacked architecture in a single package - featuring the industry's largest capacity. This is a fifty percent increase in capacity per package when compared to Toshiba's earlier announcement of a 1TB device with a 16-die stacked architecture in a single package - which also offered the largest capacity in the industry at the time.

The technical challenges posed by QLC technology needed to be overcome, as increasing the number of bits-per-cell by one within the same electron count requires twice the accuracy of TLC technology. Toshiba has combined its advanced circuit design and leading 3D flash memory process technology to overcome this challenge, successfully creating the world's first QLC 3D flash memory.

The timing of this achievement is especially beneficial to datacenters. "The introduction of QLC technology sets the stage for solving many of the challenges facing datacenters today," noted Greg Wong, founder and principal analyst at Forward Insights. "For datacenters, QLC SSDs can be an excellent design choice for reducing power consumption and lowering footprint. Additionally, as the push for higher capacity HDDs leads to an increase in areal density and drives up the weight per successive generation, it has become common to see a 42U rack only half-filled due to exceeding maximum weight or power supply. Flash memory-based storage solutions weigh less and realize improved power efficiencies, enabling datacenters to achieve maximum rack capacity."

Toshiba Memory Corporation was among the first to produce 64-layer 256-gigabit (32GB) devices, and has continued to demonstrate its leadership position by advancing the development of its technology. Toshiba was the first company to publically discuss QLC technology (at last year's Flash Memory Summit) and it has long been a part of the company's roadmap strategy for high-density, smaller chip size flash memory solutions. The new QLC device is targeted to applications including enterprise and consumer SSDs, tablets and memory cards.

"From SLC to MLC and MLC to TLC, large technology shifts are often met by industry resistance and the introduction of QLC is no exception," noted Scott Nelson, senior vice president of TAEC's memory business unit. "There will always be demand for compelling storage solutions that bring higher densities and produce a favorable cost/performance equation - our QLC technology falls squarely into that sweet spot. History has proven us right in the past when it comes to our visionary flash memory roadmap, and we fully expect QLC BiCS FLASH to continue our industry-leading track record."

Samples of Toshiba's groundbreaking QLC device began shipping earlier in June to SSD and SSD controller vendors for evaluation and development purposes. Additionally, samples will be showcased at the 2017 Flash Memory Summit, taking place from August 7-10 in Santa Clara, California.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
And now for the QLC SSDs with much less endurance and performance than their TLC or even MLC cousins in 3....2.....1

Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Write endurance for SSD-grade QLC memory (aka 4-bit MLC) could be in the ballpark of 200-250 program/erase cycles. This should not be a too big problem for terabyte-class consumer SSDs, but I'm wondering about performance.

Write endurance for SSD-grade QLC memory (aka 4-bit MLC) could be in the ballpark of 200-250 program/erase cycles. This should not be a too big problem for terabyte-class consumer SSDs, but I'm wondering about performance.
This is 3D NAND we're talking about, the endurance should be higher than that.

And now for the QLC SSDs with much less endurance and performance than their TLC or even MLC cousins in 3....2.....1
when you have 4 bits of data on cell sure the read/write performance is going to take a hit. Although if it means they are going to larger fab node(90nm or larger) and cost of chips is low enough it can be useful in reducing the cost of flash based storage devices. I wouldnt mind having one of those in a usb flash drive to carry data around.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
That is interesting, a TLC chip has 2^3 = 8 voltage levels to represent 3 bits, a QLV then has 2^4 = 16 voltage levels.

I would hazard a guess that the cips still run at the same voltage, therefore the room for error on the voltage levels decrease dramatically. where MLC maybe has 3000 P/E cycles a TLC migth have 1000, what will the level be for QLC? Significantly less than TLC is my guess, unless Toshiba has worked some special magic.

Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Toshiba. Probably the last and only innovating tech company in Japan. Too bad their TVs are not that popular/good(?), while their mobile phones pure junk...

Their A19 NAND is still widely used, I think this will be an easy adoption if costs are not prohibitive. Also, as far as endurance goes, I think most SSDs (if not all) never meet their rating, they almost all end up surpassing it. With a more precise manufacturing process, I think they'll be good regardless of what the spec sheet says.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard Asrock X470 Master sli/ac
Cooling Raijintek Themis Evo
Memory Team Dark Pro 3200 cl14
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 850W
Nice to see that companies are actively researching and developing SSDs with worse endurance and performance as time goes on.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nice to see that companies are actively researching and developing SSDs with worse endurance and performance as time goes on.

Endurance and performance are not where SSDs need improving right now. Capacity/$ is what needs improving. If that comes at the cost of minor endurance and performance penalties, most people will take it. It isn't like the average consumer can ever tell the difference between a SLC SSD and a TLC SSD.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
Considering major teething issues TLC had when it came out i don't see QLC being viable before ~2020. When talking about TLC the only two TLC based SSDs i would trust to put on any of my computers are Samsung 850 EVO and 960 EVO. Other TLC based drives either have performance or consistency problems. Not something you want to have on your PC...

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
Considering major teething issues TLC had when it came out i don't see QLC being viable before ~2020. When talking about TLC the only two TLC based SSDs i would trust to put on any of my computers are Samsung 850 EVO and 960 EVO. Other TLC based drives either have performance or consistency problems. Not something you want to have on your PC...
With 3D nand, QLC shouldn't be that big of an issue, because the actual cell is much much larger than with 2D TLC, used in recent ssds.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
QLC will clearly not be for system drives or anything that sees regular rewrites (although my 256GB 840 Pro OS drive still has just 11.7TB of host writes, or 468 write cycles after ... oh, four years, almost), but it might spell a revolution in mass storage, especially with 64 and 96-layer chips (in 16-hi stacks?). Multi-TB SSDs for mass storage might finally be viable without costing 10x of a comparable HDD.

Not to mention that QLC can allow for some firmware ... creativity. MLC emulation should be as easy (as if anything like this is easy) as telling the controller to treat every 4 voltage states as one, with some light ECC to make sense of any (rare) edge cases. SLC emulation would be even easier. Heck, you could even emulate TLC, although that seems rather unnecessary. The thing is: with current SSD capacities and prices, pseudo-SLC caches don't make that much sense outside of the limited forms they have today. But for a 2TB+ QLC SSD? I'd gladly have the ability to set 1/4 of its capacity as a fixed 256GB MLC buffer. With some clever software, this could even be a flexible, multi-tier system where the whole drive starts out as SLC or MLC, but gradually transitions to QLC as it fills up. Again, I'd gladly buy a 2TB drive that performed like an MLC drive for the first 300GB or more, but still had the ability to adapt as it filled up. Or one where I could give up some capacity to gain a locked buffer. This ought to help out with endurance too (although the "host writes" number would become meaningless if it stays in non-QLC mode most of the time - might it require a tiered system of "QLC host writes" and so on?).

Oh, and stick some Optane/QuantX in there and ditch the DRAM buffer. 16GB would be sweet, but even 8GB would be pretty nice.