• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Defends MCM Approach for Building 32-core EPYC: Huge Cost Savings of ~41%

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD, presenting at a HotChips talk, packed with VLSI gurus, defended its decision to make AMD EPYC enterprise processors in the socket SP3r2 package a multi-chip module (MCM) of four 8-core "Summit Ridge" dies, rather than building a monolithic 32-core die. For starters, it stressed on the benefits of a single kind of silicon, which it can use across its performance-desktop, high-end desktop, and enterprise product-stacks; which translates into higher yields. "Summit Ridge" is the only CPU silicon based on the "Zen" micro-architecture, with the company giving finishing touches to the second silicon, codenamed "Raven Ridge," which will power mobile and desktop APUs. AMD has to pick the best-performing dies out of a common bin. The top 5% dies go into powering the company's Ryzen Threadripper HEDT processors, and a higher percentile go into making EPYC.

The relatively smaller 8-core common die has an inherently higher yield than a larger chip due to the rule of inverse-exponential reduction in yield with increasing die-size. This, coupled with the R&D costs that would have gone into developing the hypothetical monolithic 32-core "Zen" based silicon, works out to a significant cost saving for the company. A 4-die/32-core MCM is 0.59X the cost of a hypothetical monolithic 32-core die, according to the company, which is a cost-saving that enables the company to aggressively price its products. The slide AMD used in its presentation also confirms that each 8-core "Summit Ridge" die features four external Infinity Fabric links, besides the one that connects the two CCX units with each other. On a 4-die EPYC MCM, three out of four of those external IF links wire out to the neighboring dies, and one link per die probably wires out to a neighboring socket on 2P machines.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
'Defends' seems a strange choice of words. Its just smart, and nobody except Intel's marketing team is 'attacking' AMD for 'glue'.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
'Defends' seems a strange choice of words. Its just smart, and nobody except Intel's marketing team is 'attacking' AMD for 'glue'.

You forget about investors that are drinking the Intel coolaid and believing in whatever they're being told. As such, AMD sadly has to defend itself and explain why they chose to do things a certain way.

The approach does have some downsides, but it seems to be a fair trade off if the cost savings are that high.

Hi dudes. I noticed in the title you said the cost savings are 59%.
AMD states that the price is 0.59x of what the monolithic die would be.
So the cost savings are actually 41%

Thank you for your articles and everything. Have a nice Day everyone.

A costs 100%
B costs 59%

What's the cost saving, TPU?

TPU: 59%, dúh! :roll:

Good job TPU! Good job!

No offense, but the quality in your news articles took a big nose dive in the last few months.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
AMD can just reply with this pic.
ok intel.jpg

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi dudes. I noticed in the title you said the cost savings are 59%.
AMD states that the price is 0.59x of what the monolithic die would be.
So the cost savings are actually 41%

Thank you for your articles and everything. Have a nice Day everyone.

Thanks for noticing that direct conversion mistake and putting it out there in a respectful, polite manner =)

If only everyone was like that...

Edit: And also, welcome to TPU! We guess you didn't just start an account to correct our math, and hope you become a member of our awesome community =) Hit our forums for all the guides and stickies you might need.

You forget about investors that are drinking the Intel coolaid and believing in whatever they're being told. As such, AMD sadly has to defend itself and explain why they chose to do things a certain way.

The approach does have some downsides, but it seems to be a fair trade off if the cost savings are that high.

It seems investors are bunch of idiots. Maybe they should stick to shit they even understand. I mean, AMD "defending" itself is literally handing over all the plans and ideas straight into competition hands. And their competition has more money and more R&D. Whatever day talk publicly will in the end only be used against them. Intel was caught with its pants down for Ryzen, I don't think it'll repeat again and they'll follow AMD's press releases and leaks. I mean, just look at the multi-GPU idea that didn't even come from AMD, it came from users. And NVIDIA immediately published a paper talking about it. With R&D NVIDIA has, they could probably already have a working prototype of a stitched GTX 1050Ti cores as a proof of concept. Or even something made of larger cores. AMD needs to stop handing out stuff and just work on what they think it'll give them the edge. Then make a huge PR campaign a month or two prior release to get people excited. And then no joke hard launch so you hit competitors hard.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
I see that more as an explain of why they chose that technique. And I say kudos to them for outsmating Intel being MUCH inferior in resourses. They managed to shake the market and force Intel to bring 6-core i7s and 4-cores i3s, while before Ryzen launch and for 5 years they milked the customers without shame at all. Capitalism is known for this practice but limits are needed or customers are paying double for less. And Ryzen reset the value of cpus to more sensible levels.

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX

Agree: It seems as if in this day in time you have to defend being smart instead of the oppersite. People think the most "powerful" solution is choosen everytime? Making a product is about compromises and if they can reduce cost of production by 41% to a not 41% performance loss, well they will win huge (and the customers have by getting 8-32 cores with decent performance at half of whats was possible before. AMD made the right choice and Intel is right now trying to do the same with their production. Regarding the 'glue thing' I have actually seen fanboiis on TPU adopt that term as a rule of thump... The last idiot is yet to be born! :D

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

The Intel coolaid dictates that Intel is going to implement half of AMDs IF solution in Coffee Lake or they cant feasibly add cores... Irony knows no bounds here right :D

It seems investors are bunch of idiots. Maybe they should stick to shit they even understand. I mean, AMD "defending" itself is literally handing over all the plans and ideas straight into competition hands. And their competition has more money and more R&D. Whatever day talk publicly will in the end only be used against them. Intel was caught with its pants down for Ryzen, I don't think it'll repeat again and they'll follow AMD's press releases and leaks. I mean, just look at the multi-GPU idea that didn't even come from AMD, it came from users. And NVIDIA immediately published a paper talking about it. With R&D NVIDIA has, they could probably already have a working prototype of a stitched GTX 1050Ti cores as a proof of concept. Or even something made of larger cores. AMD needs to stop handing out stuff and just work on what they think it'll give them the edge. Then make a huge PR campaign a month or two prior release to get people excited. And then no joke hard launch so you hit competitors hard.

Do you REALLY think that's the way this goes?

Coffee Lake and 6-core mainstream was already announced some time ago. The only kneejerk from Intel was them pulling it in 3Q of a year, but they were definitely already planning and designing a similar move to higher core counts. I find it funny that people always consider the market leader less intelligent than themselves. Besides, Intel has known ever since Sandy Bridge that the Ghz wall was 4 Ghz and going over was going to be painful for perf/watt, proof being 6 generations of Intel Core products after that, and since Kaby Lake they're passing the 4Ghz barrier base/boost clock and look at those glorious TDPs, even on Intel's superior process. Its not a coincidence Coffee Lake is the gen that releases higher core counts. If Intel was really panicking they'd not have postponed so much over the years, from full node shrinks to whole generations of refreshes as with Kaby Lake. Everyone has known Ryzen was in the pipeline for several years now and AMD already pushed higher core counts during Sandy Bridge.

Multi GPU idea came from a lack of processing power, its as simple as that. Not 'users'. Just demand, like in every marketplace. Right now we have single cards that can push enough pixels to saturate the cable the data's sent through, hell we can even add endless layers of post processing on top and STILL render 'in-time'. GPU processing power on a single die has leaped ahead of I/O standards. It makes a lot of sense that we're now moving away from multi GPU again. We've seen its drawbacks and all sorts of new tech really can't deal with those drawbacks (latency, frametime variance, high degrees of support from drivers). At the same time, just like @ Intel Core and AMD Ryzen, modular design now steps in because we now have access to fast interconnects and are rapidly exhausting the available 'tricks' to further increase perf/watt and perf/mm of silicon. On top of that, node shrinks increase the yield risk of larger dies even more; so really, modular is inevitable and you don't need to be rocket scientist to understand this.

AMD isn't handing out stuff, its just following the obvious line of thought, one that all leading hardware companies follow, one that's already widely adopted in other markets too, such as ARM. Its a well known fact that in all ages of our history, a lot of people at similar timeframes think of similar things. And they really have never spoken to each other. It just made sense at that time. What matters is the first fellow who can market that idea as a usable, effective product.

Last edited:
We've had 6 cores, 12 threads since Nehalem, getting it now is like whatever... I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about Vega and Ryzen and how much info we got over time. Totally unnecessary and just makes competition more prepared.

It seems investors are bunch of idiots. Maybe they should stick to shit they even understand.
Yes, yes. Everyone are idiots. Investors don't know how computers work, they don't understand AMD's genius.

It's just PC enthusiasts that know how awesome this technology is and why everyone should support it.

The truth is: investors understand Zen pretty well. So well, in fact, that they've priced AMD very well at the day of release already.
As you can see below - there were no large shifts in stock price after Ryzen reviews (beside the temporary drop after Intel licensing fiasco).
And since this is MCM and AMD told us how much they save on manufacturing, it's not that difficult to estimate how different CPUs will perform and how much they will cost.
It's quite unlikely that they'll attract investors by repeating what we already know. There's only one way: improving single-thread performance and fixing platform quirks that AMD fans here underestimate so much (and maybe also selling RTG altogether :-D).

And yes, homegrown investing gurus on this forum were expecting $30 by now. :)

upload_2017-8-24_15-35-20.png

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
We've had 6 cores, 12 threads since Nehalem, getting it now is like whatever... I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about Vega and Ryzen and how much info we got over time. Totally unnecessary and just makes competition more prepared.

That's the thing, you keep thinking the 'competition' is trolling forums and reading WCCFTech, you really need a reality check man.

Wow, stock price increase as a proof. They can say they have a CPU that has 50 Jigahertz and does Cinebench in 25 milliseconds. And the stock price will just go through the roof whether they actually have it or not. Or someone farts in their HQ and the stock value will fall because it contributes to the green house gas emmisions and that's bad and the stock thus needs to fall. Yeah, that stock value...

@Vayra86
No, that's apparently what you think they are doing...

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
Yeah...but at the end of the day, it still boils down to, Intel is charging 50% or more for CPUs that are only at best maybe 10% faster.....

Wow, stock price increase as a proof. They can say they have a CPU that has 50 Jigahertz and does Cinebench in 25 milliseconds. And the stock price will just go through the roof whether they actually have it or not. Or someone farts in their HQ and the stock value will fall because it contributes to the green house gas emmisions and that's bad and the stock thus needs to fall. Yeah, that stock value...

Whether you like it or not, stock price is what measures the faith investors are putting in a company.

On one hand you don't believe in stocks and you don't care whether someone wants to give AMD money or not.
On the other hand you're constantly moaning that all these problems are a result of their small R&D budget.

You know, I think there is a name for your affliction. And I don't need a large R&D budget to notice it...

You don't have a surprise for competition if you parrot EVERYTHING to the whole world. It has NOTHING to do with R&D budget. I'm just surprised Ryzen distrupted the market as much considering how they parroted everything straight to Intel. They didn't even need to use leaks and corporate espionage, everything was served directly to them. I guess after having no competition for so long even Intel didn't believe it was real or something...

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I love AMD for this solution.

Its cheaper for them, thus cheaper for us and performance is plenty close enough.
I also hope that Intel will keep doing what it is doing so we have a nice devided landscape in terms of tech.

However Intel being Intel I would not be surprised if they suddenly do this for some of their processors as well because ya know, Intel is rather cheap that way.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Yeah...but at the end of the day, it still boils down to, Intel is charging 50% or more for CPUs that are only at best maybe 10% faster.....

who have ever said intel is faster at server?
They're not at 2x the cost, they lost in almost every benchmark metric capable.

anandtech did a good review on epyc vs xeon (latest vs latest) and the database benchmark is bogus but the rest is good.
Database dataset was chosen at a size where it cannot fit in a L3 cache of Epyc, before you say that shows a weakness.

I've never seen any production databases at those sizes, only lab databases thus it's bogus.
Who runs a 8000\4000 usd cpu and have a 10-20mb database?...

You don't have a surprise for competition if you parrot EVERYTHING to the whole world. It has NOTHING to do with R&D budget. I'm just surprised Ryzen distrupted the market as much considering how they parroted everything straight to Intel. They didn't even need to use leaks and corporate espionage, everything was served directly to them. I guess after having no competition for so long even Intel didn't believe it was real or something...
You see... this is exactly the part you don't understand.
What Intel and AMD are doing is not a race for CPU supremacy. It's not about surprising products, great reviews, leading in benchmarks or anything like that. This war only exists in heads of people like you, usually writing on forums like this one.

What actually matters for these companies is being profitable and having a stable business.
So yes, AMD was leaking badly about Zen, giving Intel time to prepare, but it doesn't matter. They had other tiny problems, like whether they will survive or not. And the whole leaking before and "defending" now has only one purpose: to show investors that AMD can make money. And it seems they actually can - that's why their market cap went up from total garbage to more expected level (considering their revenue).

I know you would love both companies to put all their effort in developing better CPUs, so that you would have more and more fps in games. But frankly, most of the world doesn't care about your fps. Even Intel and AMD don't. AMD could make Zen better for games, but why bother? This is a battle for a tiny portion of market. There's no point in becoming a leader at a huge cost. AMD simply wanted to become relevant once more - to be able to earn money on CPUs. And it seems they succeeded.

Powerful desktop CPUs are not the future. Most likely after Zen gets traction in the desktop world, AMD will put R&D money in other fields: AR/VR, AI, IoT and all these nice abbreviations. At this point they also have absolutely no product that could compete with Intel's ULV lineup and they won't cut it from their current Zen die.

who have ever said intel is faster at server?
They're not at 2x the cost, they lost in almost every benchmark metric capable.
I did.
You see... there are 2 problems with the server segment that you didn't consider:
1) Intel actually sells those Xeon CPUs, while EPYC exists only in benchmarks at this point.
2) CPU performance is not as highly prioritized as in consumer segment (let alone gaming). EPYC has to deliver in other properties as well.

Powerful desktop CPUs are not the future. Most likely after Zen gets traction in the desktop world, AMD will put R&D money in other fields: AR/VR, AI, IoT and all these nice abbreviations. At this point they also have absolutely no product that could compete with Intel's ULV lineup and they won't cut it from their current Zen die.
You're kidding :confused: zen is more efficient than anything Intel has atm, excluding Denverton.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1832?vs=1851

If anything RR is the reason Intel might've been spooked & released mobile parts first, before desktop CFL.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

AMD's "Glue" is of better quality than Intel's TIM used with their chips is all I can say.
I mean glued or not, it works.... And you're still paying more for the crappy TIM'ed chips.

AMD is making good, efficient use of what they came up with, can't blame them for that at all and it's something for now they need to capitalize on. They don't have the R&D budget Intel certainly has and this is AMD taking their best shot and making it count every way they can - Let's hope they continue doing so because in the end everyone wins, even the Intel guys do with lower prices.

Competition is good for everyone.