• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega Supply Issues to Persist At Least Until October - Digitimes

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
... to anticipate the same with HBM2 and build a GPU with a memory controller that could handle multiple memory types. That AMD chose not to do so is entirely their fault and represents an absolute failure in terms of risk-mitigation.
Not even Nvidia with their massively bigger R&D budget managed to do this and chose to build the same GPU twice with two different memory controllers.

And I really doubt adding another ~50W+ for GDDR5 memory and its subsystem plus another potential bottleneck by reducing the memory bandwidth would actually help the card...

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Not even Nvidia with their massively bigger R&D budget managed to do this and chose to build the same GPU twice with two different memory controllers.

And I really doubt adding another ~50W+ for GDDR5 memory and its subsystem plus another potential bottleneck by reducing the memory bandwidth would actually help the card...
the die space needed to hold the memory controller is big as it is, let alone making it even bigger to support 2 diff memory option's that are massively different in terms of connection's needed to go from 256/384 to 2048. Its possible but space needed isn't worth it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
As I stated in my previous reply, AMD already had problems with HBM supply with Fiji, so it would have been prudent (I would argue, necessary) for them to anticipate the same with HBM2 and build a GPU with a memory controller that could handle multiple memory types. That AMD chose not to do so is entirely their fault and represents an absolute failure in terms of risk-mitigation.

There's a difference between "acceptable" and "terrible". Since Hawaii, NVIDIA's reference coolers have always fallen into the first group, while AMD's have always fallen into the second. AMD's failure to improve their reference cooler - over multiple GPU generations - is, again, entirely their own fault.

Fanboys making endless excuses for AMD isn't going to make AMD fix its s**t. Negative publicity and voting with your wallets will. No company should get a free pass on repeated failures, regardless of how small and underdog-y it is.

The team of companies behind HBM and HMB2 has many and good companies in it. AMD is one of them to use the end product in its own products. I bet that never a company knows the future of a collaboration until the result becomes obvious. And most times than not, a 2nd gen product is better and easier to be produced than the 1st one. But they seem to need a prophet to predict and avoid such problems eh?

I do not remember you bashing the reference coolers of nVidia GPUs not allowing max boost clocks because of awful temps me thinks, or for being more audible than the optimum. Bashing AMD for anything on the other side is your 2nd nature.

And to make it clear, my opinion is that Vega 64 isn't a good choice for now, but vega 56 is a great choice for anyone not having a 4K or 144Hz monitor that needs a 1080Ti only for being somewhat futureproof (2-3 years max). Custom models and further driver progress might change that drastically though.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
I'm upset with both AMD and Nvidia.
With AMD cuz they dropped the ball with Vega, but at least I know they are doing their best.
On the other hand what upsets me with Nvidia is you can always expect them to do their bare minimum.

First they said they were delaying launch to make sure there are no issues with supply, and the delay was almost A YEAR. This is after there were several press releases about HBM-caused delays. Then, when supplies ran out on day one, their eventual answer was "we SHIPPED tens of thousands of cards, and 'logistical problems' kept them from reaching distributors (logistical problems involves physically being unable to get to their destination - were the damn trucks hijacked?

Without the shipping manifests and receipts going public, there is no way to know. Shipping large volumes of units has always been a point of contention in the industry, I don't see any lies here.

Then all the crap with prices started - bundles, "launch" prices, rebates to retailers for launch only, SEP double-talk vs MSRP. Strange, isn't it, that all these bundles are trying to sell Ryzen CPUs and boards - is there a problem with Ryzen sales? Normally hardware sold in bundles is over-stocked last generation stuff, trying to get rid of them before they're stuck with a loss. So another lie was, "the bundle strategy is designed to thwart miners". Funny how these dozens of bundles all have Vega cards available, but there's no cards available alone.

Bundles were announced before launch, so I don't see why this could be a lie on anyone's part. It's well documented and we all knew it was happening, which it did. The fact that Vega is bundled with Ryzen actually shows the opposite of what you're speculating. Ryzen is an extremely strong product for AMD and *should* (note: guessing) give a value proposition to somebody who would have already been considering a Ryzen based PC and possibly Vega. It bolsters the value by adding a product that AMD knows people are buying, and one that they want people to buy.

Then, just yesterday, "we've worked out the "logistics issues", and all stores will be fully stocked THIS WEEK". Now today they say supplies won't normalize until October.

AMD's internal reports and the reports of "sources from the upstream supply chain" are going to vary wildly. Somebody has to provide an answer to consumer questions, and the ones that jump first usually aren't giving complete and correct information. Now that doesn't mean they are lying, it means they have information on the situation that they believe to be true and decide to share it, whether it is true and complete information or not. From reading the one-paragraph "article" above it seems that somebody with a distributor or logistics company decided to be the one to answer the question. Usually when AMD answers you get the name of the person and their position at AMD, not a half sentence quote from an anonymous source.

So which is the real story? It doesn't even matter, because only one story can be the real story, and by definition, the other contradictory stories HAVE to be lies. Take your pick, but I am fairly sure that NONE are the real story, and ALL are lies. It's a high-stakes game they're playing, and people who believe them do so because they desperately refuse to hear anything negative about AMD. I think it will explode in their face very soon.

The real story is speculation at best from us, and because of that you don't get a real story. Lots of subjective information based on objective anecdotes from news articles and anonymous sources. You're free to believe that everyone involved is lying to consumers and pulling some back-alley sleight-of-hand to fuck over the common man, but when reality sets in and answers are provided I'm going to bet that the whole situation is significantly more mundane than you're making it out to be.

That's all well and good but I have yet to actually see anything beyond speculation that AMD has in fact lied about anything. Lots of crying and moaning from the *PC Gamers* and very little proof.

What is it when you say something that's completely untrue? A lie.

First they said they were delaying launch to make sure there are no issues with supply, and the delay was almost A YEAR. This is after there were several press releases about HBM-caused delays. Then, when supplies ran out on day one, their eventual answer was "we SHIPPED tens of thousands of cards, and 'logistical problems' kept them from reaching distributors (logistical problems involves physically being unable to get to their destination - were the damn trucks hijacked? I don't recall any blizzards, floods, or hurricanes that week). Then all the crap with prices started - bundles, "launch" prices, rebates to retailers for launch only, SEP double-talk vs MSRP. Strange, isn't it, that all these bundles are trying to sell Ryzen CPUs and boards - is there a problem with Ryzen sales? Normally hardware sold in bundles is over-stocked last generation stuff, trying to get rid of them before they're stuck with a loss. So another lie was, "the bundle strategy is designed to thwart miners". Funny how these dozens of bundles all have Vega cards available, but there's no cards available alone. Then, just yesterday, "we've worked out the "logistics issues", and all stores will be fully stocked THIS WEEK". Now today they say supplies won't normalize until October. So which is the real story? It doesn't even matter, because only one story can be the real story, and by definition, the other contradictory stories HAVE to be lies. Take your pick, but I am fairly sure that NONE are the real story, and ALL are lies. It's a high-stakes game they're playing, and people who believe them do so because they desperately refuse to hear anything negative about AMD. I think it will explode in their face very soon.

You said it a lot better than I would have, I'm in total agreement. To remind people AMD delayed Vega to make sure they would have enough product on hand/in stock to meet demand.

It doesn't matter how logically you try to put it, your argument is always ignored and a sly, troll comment is put in to attack you.
Let people believe what they want and see what happens. I'm damn happy I didn't wait.

There's definitely some weird people out there. Instead of just accepting facts as they are they want to live in denial. No matter what excuses or reasons are out there, Vega upon launch was awful and that's being nice. Things seem to look better on a day by day basis, like I've been saying Vega 56 actually looks good, especially when next to 64 :D

I'm upset with both AMD and Nvidia.
With AMD cuz they dropped the ball with Vega, but at least I know they are doing their best.
On the other hand what upsets me with Nvidia is you can always expect them to do their bare minimum.

LOL if this is AMDs best they are in some serious trouble. Who in their right mind conjures up something like this? Nvidia never had to even make a 1080ti, the 1080 itself has been able to and will continue to fend for itself against everything AMD has despite being ancient technology in my technological terms. :roll:

The fact that we're getting "unofficial" info about supply problems doesn't mean there actually are any...

It would not be the first time when company announces shortages, when they actually want to get the price up a bit (or have an excuse for not selling a bad product).
Especially now with the mining issue in the background... it's pretty sure a news like this will encourage people to get a Vega while the "still" can.

Also, keep in mind an unknown number of Vega FE is gathering dust in AMD's warehouses. Wouldn't they want to sell those first? It's the same card underneath... think about the profit margin difference...

What is it when you say something that's completely untrue? A lie.

What is it when you say something that is untrue but have been assured with complete sincerity that it is the truth? Misinformation. See there can be a grey area, it's not all black or white despite what everyone seems to think.

The fact that we're getting "unofficial" info about supply problems doesn't mean there actually are any...

I'm pretty sure the supply problems are real when the product is sold out and there are consumers trying to buy it.

What is it when you say something that is untrue but have been assured with complete sincerity that it is the truth? Misinformation. See there can be a grey area, it's not all black or white despite what everyone seems to think.

Okay, so misinformation from AMD is a gray area but not a lie to consumers? You seem like you could be AMD's terrible lawyer lol. Ever watch Arrested Development? You remind me of the Bluth's lawyer :laugh:

Okay, so misinformation from AMD is a gray area but not a lie to consumers? You seem like you could be AMD's terrible lawyer lol. Ever watch Arrested Development? You remind me of the Bluth's lawyer :laugh:

Well now hang on, where in any of this thread was there official information from AMD? All I've seen is speculation surrounding previous statements on unrelated facets of Vega's supply problems. Do you have links with evidence of actual lies? I'm genuinely curious.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Well now hang on, where in any of this thread was there official information from AMD? All I've seen is speculation surrounding previous statements on unrelated facets of Vega's supply problems. Do you have links with evidence of actual lies? I'm genuinely curious.

“Radeon RX Vega64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand. Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.”

This in conjunction with the cards being out of stock in a lot of places is more than enough to realize there's a supply problem. If there wasn't a supply problem there would be no statement.

EDIT:Vega came so late to meet supply demands which they are clearly not coming close to doing considering how everything was out of stock on day zero.

“Radeon RX Vega64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand. Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.”

This in conjunction with the cards being out of stock in a lot of places is more than enough to realize there's a supply problem. If there wasn't a supply problem there would be no statement.

EDIT:Vega came so late to meet supply demands which they are clearly not coming close to doing considering how everything was out of stock on day zero.

There are no lies in the quoted statements. Supply problems are a given, just take a look at the last ten years and find a product that wasn't out of stock on release. Maybe you'll find one 5-10 years ago that didn't have supply problems. However I don't see how a statement saying "Demand is high, we're working on replenishing stock," is construed as them lying about Vega's supply.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
but when reality sets in and answers are provided I'm going to bet that the whole situation is significantly more mundane than you're making it out to be.
You're probably right. I just wanted to list some of the things they've told us that don't add up. Mostly because I'm tired of AMD fans making more excuses for AMD's failure, and taking them at face value. I don't recall any other company that gets a pass for this kind of behavior, and I'm not inclined to give them benefit of doubt at this point. I don't like the way they play with people's heads, people who have been loyal to them and supported them wholly. They cash in on that loyalty shamelessly and without remorse, in pursuit of the almighty dollar, and forget that customer loyalty is their greatest asset right now, and how fleeting it can be.

There are no lies in the quoted statements. Supply problems are a given, just take a look at the last ten years and find a product that wasn't out of stock on release. Maybe you'll find one 5-10 years ago that didn't have supply problems. However I don't see how a statement saying "Demand is high, we're working on replenishing stock," is construed as them lying about Vega's supply.
The lie exists in the sense that they said they purposely delayed launch to produce enough stock for demand. That's one, the other is in pricing.

I'm pretty sure the supply problems are real when the product is sold out and there are consumers trying to buy it.
That's a supply problem for the consumers. The rumour we're discussing says that it's the manufacturers that are having a supply problem. Now this is something that AMD could be faking or even creating.
We know they launched these cards with unrealistically low prices. We know they're trying to sell them for more.
What better excuse than "supply problems"?
This way they can sell these cards at elevated price for months.

You're probably right. I just wanted to list some of the things they've told us that don't add up. Mostly because I'm tired of AMD fans making more excuses for AMD's failure, and taking them at face value. I don't recall any other company that gets a pass for this kind of behavior, and I'm not inclined to give them benefit of doubt at this point. I don't like the way they play with people's heads, people who have been loyal to them and supported them wholly. They cash in on that loyalty shamelessly and without remorse, in pursuit of the almighty dollar, and forget that customer loyalty is their greatest asset right now, and how fleeting it can be.

I won't apologize for them if they truly are lying straight to the consumer, and I'm curious to find out why many people (who in large part are not buying AMD's products) feel they are being lied to. This product launch doesn't look any different compared to the launches of the last 10+ years.

The lie exists in the sense that they said they purposely delayed launch to produce enough stock for demand. That's one, the other is in pricing.

So they lied because they under-estimated consumer demand? That's a poor marketing [of consumer demand] perspective, not a blatant lie. The pricing was a subject of another thread where an AMD representative (Gerald Youngblood) gave confirmation that prices set by AMD have not changed since launch.

Last edited:

Might want adjust all your post for the miss quoting.

AMD said:
we wanted to make sure we were launching with good volume

Might be why you feel they lied to you or your lying to us. ;)

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Do you have links with evidence of actual lies? I'm genuinely curious.[/QUOTE
Ambiguous statements are never attributed to a company spokesperson, it's always "a trusted source close to the company", or something else that provides maximum deniability. These are tricks almost as old as humanity, used by lawyers, politicians, snake oil vendors, and other professional liars. It's surprising that people still fall for them.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
AMD's supply and demand market models are out dated and could not account for such a huge demand.

Ambiguous statements are never attributed to a company spokesperson, it's always "a trusted source close to the company", or something else that provides maximum deniability. These are tricks almost as old as humanity, used by lawyers, politicians, snake oil vendors, and other professional liars. It's surprising that people still fall for them.

Which would generally be a suspicion if information quoted direct from AMD (employees, marketing representatives, etc) hadn't already been released addressing the matter.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Okay, so I forgot one big drawback of GDDR over HBM: power consumption. This article sums it up nicely.

The tl;dr is that HBM is a necessity for Fiji and Vega - not because of bandwidth, but because of wattage. Those GPUs consume far more power than NVIDIA's ones of the same performance, and if AMD coupled them with GDDR, the resultant package's power use would make Fermi look like small potatoes.

Or to put it another way: NVIDIA invested money into making their GPUs energy efficient, and one of the dividends of that is that they can use the far cheaper and plentiful, but more power-hungry, GDDR memory. AMD either didn't or couldn't do the same, with the result that they had to find another option, and the only other option was HBM.

Last edited:
This lie or that lie, truth or not, it doesn't matter. Fact is Vega isn't in stock like it's supposed to have been no matter the reason. Prices don't make sense either, again, no matter what reason.

This lie or that lie, truth or not, it doesn't matter. Fact is Vega isn't in stock like it's supposed to have been no matter the reason.

Neither was Fiji.

Neither was Hawaii.
Neither was Kepler.

Could keep going back but the point is made. New GPUs run out of stock and are subsequently drip-fed into the market until demand subsides and stock can normalize. It's not something that AMD is doing specifically with Vega to piss off their customers.

Neither was Fiji.
Neither was Hawaii.
Neither was Kepler.

Could keep going back but the point is made. New GPUs run out of stock and are subsequently drip-fed into the market until demand subsides and stock can normalize. It's not something that AMD is doing specifically with Vega to piss off their customers.

Personally I don't really care what the reason is, I'm not saying AMD is doing things to piss off customers. If people want to get upset and raise their pitchforks then whatever lol.