• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Adds Historical Review Data for Games to Counter Review Bombing

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
You've probably heard about the recent issues regarding PewDiePie (handle of one of the most popular gaming YouTubers, Felix Kjellberg) and Campo Santo (Firewatch). The company issued a copyright strike for the YouTuber's streaming of their game, where Kjellberg used racist terms which Campo Santo didn't feel they should be in any way associated with. YouTube accepted the copyright strike, taking the video down. Legally, Campo Santo (and any video game company for that matter) can do such a thing. Kjellberg, however, is particularly worried because, as he said, "It's a pretty big deal. If I get more than three of them, my channel will shut down." As a response, users started review bombing Firewatch on Steam - id est, posting negative review after negative review, or changing their positive reviews for negative ones, so as to diminish the game's score in the light of what they see as a reprimandable action from Campo Santo.

Now that you've been brought up to speed, Steam is tackling this review bombing issue by adding an historical view of a game's given positive and negative reviews, which should tell players something more about a game's score other than the general "recent reviews" scoring. A game like Campo Santo's Firewatch, which historically has had a "Very Positive" review score, now stands with a "Mixed" recent reviews score, all started due to this issue. You can clearly see the beginning of the review bombing on the provided histograms. Some users seem to even be disguising the reasons why they are giving negative reviews by bashing the game's storytelling or gameplay - the amount of users reporting this since the review bombing started seems too suspicious for a "naturally occurring bad review phenomenon".

By adding the histogram, Steam is looking towards letting players filter through the noise generated by users (which may or may not have anything to do with the game in particular) while not losing access to any data in the process. What do you think of this action from Steam? Is it censoring users' opinions, or simply adding some more objective data to allow new users and prospective buyers to filter through the subjective sea?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I think it may have started before any of this... Dota is popular to review bomb because people hate Portal/Halflife going nowhere and generally hate the direction Valve has been going in.

Not a fan of Pewdiepie but Campo Santo deserve everything coming at them. Using false copyright strikes as weapons against Youtubers is a massive no no. They should have learned from the ****storm that landed on Wargaming after they merely threatened a content creator with one lol.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I think it may have started before any of this...

Oh yes.

As fot the reviews, Steam reviews are esdentially useless. They are not, but the "score" is way to unrefined; only good or bad essentially.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Oh yes.

As fot the reviews, Steam reviews are esdentially useless. They are not, but the "score" is way to unrefined; only good or bad essentially.

I'm still the same shallow kid as I was 30 years ago.... when I looked at the back of boxes and said "Looks cool! I want to play that!"

Word of mouth works too, but that's basically it. I purchase a lot on Steam this way. I'm usually happy enough. Firewatch is good btw..

What do you think of this action from Steam? Is it censoring users' opinions, or simply adding some more objective data to allow new users and prospective buyers to filter through the subjective sea?
does TPU have user engagement statistics when language like this is used? i find it pretty infuriating when a news post tells the reader what to do or think, this started happening a decade ago with 'normie' & clickbait blogs, there's no reason for it... people have an intrinsic urge to make a comment, the fact that a lot of articles (of any site) have people commenting on only the headline shows that asking the reader to comment is redundant unread text

as for the question, showing the graph is quite the opposite of censoring opinions... in fact it shows an interestingly large amount of positive ratings at the same time as the negative... how is this censoring? when reviews or negative threads get deleted, that's censoring, but if a mob is bullying a store page, regular people have the right to know that there is a mob present

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
None of this would be a problem if Valve would man the fuck up and take responsibility for their own platform instead of saying "oh the users moderate it".

That didn't work for Greenlight, it doesn't work for reviews, and Valve needs to start using some of that pile of cash they're sitting on to curate their platform and weed out the mountains of crap that are making it a sad joke.

If you MUST use Steam reviews for your purchasing decisions, look only at those from reviewers who actually give a shit, such as the pcmasterrace curator group.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
All of this because of one word. If game developers would hear all the swearing and other "non correct" words I say when gaming goes wrong, they would have heart attack immediately.

D

Deleted member 172152

If devs are being shitty, I want to know about it sonI won’t support them. This histogram makes it easier to research why there are suddenly a lot of negative reviews so I can easily tell if it’s a bug inthe game, negative reviews from some large youtuber or some internet drama causing them and then I can form my own opinions on whether the devs deserve my support or not.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
If devs are being shitty, I want to know about it sonI won’t support them. This histogram makes it easier to research why there are suddenly a lot of negative reviews so I can easily tell if it’s a bug inthe game, negative reviews from some large youtuber or some internet drama causing them and then I can form my own opinions on whether the devs deserve my support or not.
Just remember you have to own the game to make a review :) I don’t see the problem they don’t like what he says on his channel remove myself, association and my product from said channel.

D

Deleted member 172152

Just remember you have to own the game to make a review :) I don’t see the problem they don’t like what he says on his channel remove myself, association and my product from said channel.
I wasn't talking about the pewdiepie/firewatch situation and if I was I would be neutral. Pewdiepie made a mistake, Firewatch devs overreacted slightly and then they were like: well, it's wrong, but maybe we shouldn't bomb his house.

This is more useful for things like the GTA offline mods being banned.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Using false copyright strikes as weapons against Youtubers is a massive no no.

Not technically a false copyright strike. Technically any game developer or publisher can issue copyright strikes to any person streaming the game on youtube.

However, I think they should have handled it differently. They should have contacted him directly first and asked him to remove all the videos related to their game from his channel and to not post any videos related to their games in the future. If he refused, then you hit him with the copyright strikes.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Obviously the recent reviews are suspect when the vast majority are bashing the storytelling. This was always a very strong point for the game. Since the game story hasn't changed, this is obviously a pathetic attempt by entitled people protected by anonymity on Steam to "punish" the game dev for perceived wrongs.

Good on Steam for trying to show these types of actions for what they are.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
All of this because of one word. If game developers would hear all the swearing and other "non correct" words I say when gaming goes wrong, they would have heart attack immediately.

Everyone gets touchy about anything involving race these days. And tries too hard to look righteous. There was that one company that hired JonTron to do voice acting, but then he made some Nazi comment on Youtube and they pulled him...

But the ridiculous thing is that JonTron is an Iranian-American immigrant.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I wasn't talking about the pewdiepie/firewatch situation and if I was I would be neutral. Pewdiepie made a mistake, Firewatch devs overreacted slightly and then they were like: well, it's wrong, but maybe we shouldn't bomb his house.

This is more useful for things like the GTA offline mods being banned.
Yeah I will agree it was a bit of an over reaction but hey internet...

Not technically a false copyright strike.
It is because he had permission from them to both make/distribute the videos and to monetize them. They never revoked that permission or even contacted him to request removal of the videos they just hit him with the fake strike to try and cause damage to him and the removal of videos associated with themselves.

This is pretty much what happened a couple of months ago when Wargaming merely threatened Sir_Foch with a fake copyright strike for videos he made with their permission because they didn't like one video, it unleashed a colossal ****storm upon them that Campo Santo should really have learnt from.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It is because he had permission from them to both make/distribute the videos and to monetize them. They never revoked that permission or even contacted him to request removal of the videos they just hit him with the fake strike to try and cause damage to him and the removal of videos associated with themselves.

This is pretty much what happened a couple of months ago when Wargaming merely threatened Sir_Foch with a fake copyright strike for videos he made with their permission because they didn't like one video, it unleashed a colossal ****storm upon them that Campo Santo should really have learnt from.

A lot of silicon valley (including small companies like Campo Santo) are taken over by hyper-sensitive SJW cultists. This is the real problem. It's taken the entirety of Google over too.

It will only get worse before it gets better... and there will be no "learning" anytime soon. I wouldn't doubt that one is reading my post right now, thinking I'm some redneck who doesn't understand "minority" experiences and I'm too insensitive. Except I'm an Asian myself.. and have literally been chased by Neo-Nazis. I've dealt with true racism. Not pretend internet outrage. And even when they confront this, they're too self-righteous to have any shame. They'll just call me an Uncle Tom.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I'm still the same shallow kid as I was 30 years ago.... when I looked at the back of boxes and said "Looks cool! I want to play that!"

Word of mouth works too, but that's basically it. I purchase a lot on Steam this way. I'm usually happy enough. Firewatch is good btw..

I miss the days I could sink 30+ minutes just walking down the long rows with 3-4 shelves full of PC games at Best Buy, trying to figure out what game looked the most interesting by reading the info on the boxes and gauging the images.....

Today, everyone and their stupid ass cousin can post some retarded, off the wall review online or some gaming platform (such as Steam) and I find it very disheartening. You also have the problem that legit gaming sites, a good bit of reviewers also hold some kind of bias towards certain companies or types of games and their reviews are hard to rely on as well.....

Social media sites that allow mass sharing of information quickly can bring up a product just as fast as it can tear one down.

I still try to go by the fact that I get some information about a game as it moves through the development stages, avoid player reviews when a game launches (people will cry/bitch about the smallest things until it's patched) and quickly glance over actual gaming site reviews to get an idea of what a game holds once it releases.

Last edited:

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
does TPU have user engagement statistics when language like this is used? i find it pretty infuriating when a news post tells the reader what to do or think, this started happening a decade ago with 'normie' & clickbait blogs, there's no reason for it... people have an intrinsic urge to make a comment, the fact that a lot of articles (of any site) have people commenting on only the headline shows that asking the reader to comment is redundant unread text

as for the question, showing the graph is quite the opposite of censoring opinions... in fact it shows an interestingly large amount of positive ratings at the same time as the negative... how is this censoring? when reviews or negative threads get deleted, that's censoring, but if a mob is bullying a store page, regular people have the right to know that there is a mob present

The discussion around this subject seems to revolve around both of those fields. On one side, users say this is a censorship approach from Steam. On the other, there are people saying thank you because they want to have additional data.

These are the two prevailing arguments on the issue. That is what I'm reporting. I'm not telling you how to think, I'm asking What you think about those two sides. Really don't understand your post.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Everyone gets touchy about anything involving race these days. And tries too hard to look righteous. There was that one company that hired JonTron to do voice acting, but then he made some Nazi comment on Youtube and they pulled him...

But the ridiculous thing is that JonTron is an Iranian-American immigrant.

Your logic is beyond me. Why is that ridiculous? Given the fact that JonTron is Iranian, it is no surprising that he made pro-Nazi or anti-Semitic comments. And no, I am not Jewish.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Your logic is beyond me. Why is that ridiculous? Given the fact that JonTron is Iranian, it is no surprising that he made pro-Nazi or anti-Semitic comments. And no, I am not Jewish.
Because they don't limit their hatred to Jewish peoples. Catholics, blacks, asians, Muslims...the list is quite long. Also just because he is Iranian does not mean he is necessarily of any particular religion. Many peoples of Persian background are Christian, as well as Zoroastrian.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Because they don't limit their hatred to Jewish peoples. Catholics, blacks, asians, Muslims...the list is quite long. Also just because he is Iranian does not mean he is necessarily of any particular religion. Many peoples of Persian background are Christian, as well as Zoroastrian.
Huh? So then it is ridiculous to pull him? They should still let him do the voice over? We are talking about ethnicity here, not religion right? What does religion have to do with it? I don't get it.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Huh? So then it is ridiculous to pull him? They should still let him do the voice over? We are talking about ethnicity here, not religion right? What does religion have to do with it? I don't get it.
You brought it up by mentioning Jewish. You might be interested to know many convert to Judaism, it is not just limited to an ethnic group.

You said just because Jon tron is Iranian it is not surprising he made anti Semitic remarks. I pointed out he might easily be Christian, which group of believers are in modern times normally not haters of Jewish peoples.

Thus: Iranian background is not automatic anti-Semite.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

He's just an immature gamer. I bet he tosses around the word "fag" and "retard" a lot too.

And he's a millennial. Even when they're not hipsters, they're ironic smartasses anyways.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
You brought it up by mentioning Jewish. You might be interested to know many convert to Judaism, it is not just limited to an ethnic group.
I said anit-Semitic, meaning anti Jews, not the Jewish religtion. I said I am not Jewish. I should say I am not Jew either.