• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Build 2nd Gen. Ryzen and Radeon Vega on GloFo 12nm

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not to be held back by silicon fabrication process limitations like in the past, AMD will build its second-generation Ryzen CPUs and Radeon Vega GPUs on the new 12 nanometer LP (low power) FinFET process by GlobalFoundries. From the looks of it, "2nd generation Ryzen" doesn't seem to be the same as "Zen2" (a micro-architectural advancement due to be built on the 7 nm process), and is more likely an optical shrink of existing 14 nm IP to the 12 nm process, giving AMD the headroom to increase yields, and clock speeds across the board. The 12 nm switch allows AMD to roll out a new "generation" of Ryzen processors as early as the first half of 2018.

The "Vega 10" silicon could be another key piece of AMD IP on the receiving end of an optical shrink to 12 nm, which will give AMD much needed power savings, letting it increase clock speeds, and probably implement faster standards of HBM2 memory, such as 2.00 GT/s. AMD will likely label this shrunk down silicon "Vega 20." There's also the possibility of AMD building a bigger new GPUs altogether. In 2019, the company will give its CPU and GPU lineups major micro-architectural upgrades, and the switch to the 7 nm node. The new "Zen2" micro-architecture with IPC increases and new ISA instruction-sets, will be launched on the CPU side, and the new "Navi" graphics architecture will take center-stage.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
So does this mean no zen 2 in 2018, it's 2019 now?

edit: Misread the post, I guess with 12nm AMD is releasing new ryzen processors in 2018 but a major advancement is in 2019? Sorry it's a bit confusing :p

Last edited:
Back in the days when AMD had their own fab(s), they would simply 'refresh' the current chip or node to a better proces, making them able to deliver chips that offer a higher clock, lower power and small fixes that the previous chips failed on.

I think AMD is continuing this refresh, but being independent of GloFo, they are going for 12NM rather then sticking onto the 14NM proces. This saves both partys some time as GloFo's best interest is to provide a silicon base which is able to clock higher with less power requirements.

I woud'nt say that LP Finfet is 'bad' but it explains why most Ryzens are hitting a wall beyond 4.2Ghz. The Vishera's for example where on a different proces and where able to clock much higher (5GHz on air).

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Back in the days when AMD had their own fab(s), they would simply 'refresh' the current chip or node to a better proces, making them able to deliver chips that offer a higher clock, lower power and small fixes that the previous chips failed on.

I think AMD is continuing this refresh, but being independent of GloFo, they are going for 12NM rather then sticking onto the 14NM proces. This saves both partys some time as GloFo's best interest is to provide a silicon base which is able to clock higher with less power requirements.

I woud'nt say that LP Finfet is 'bad' but it explains why most Ryzens are hitting a wall beyond 4.2Ghz. The Vishera's for example where on a different proces and where able to clock much higher (5GHz on air).
visheras had 2 generations of improvement so its natural they can hit 5GHz on air in a cool room. Mine could :D

They are just improving the chip itself on a smaller node (12nm vs 14nm finfet). I woud'nt say it will save huge amounts of power but it will surely bring the chips towards the desired clockspeeds AMD is looking for. The ryzen / threadripper are amazing chips. Half the price of intel's counterparts.

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
so will these newer 12nm chips be able to fit on current ryzen motherboards? I'm currently considering a threadripper build and I don't want to dish out a bunch of money on a mobo/cpu only to have it replaced in a few months.

Why are they stating certain improvements over 16nm (TSMC)?
Why would they not measure improvements over their own 14nm?
Just curious...

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Just curious...

Ever wonder what is being made at 16nm by TSMC and why AMD is comparing 12nm GF to 16nm TSMC ? hint - Nvidia GPU.

Just curious...
https://www.globalfoundries.com/new...-technology-for-high-performance-applications

According to this linke they say 10-15% compared to current 16/14nm FF solutions. All in all idk how i feel about this. Ryzen is super good but it definitly got its rough edges that need to be ironed out
For starters ryzen is very power efficient so a shrink isnt whats needed to help it perform as needed. It needs to be revised to clock higher, and to me it seems a simple die shrink wouldnt result in much progress there as the power efficiency gain will most likely be advantages below the 4ghz mark but not at peak. Amd need to be clocking ryzen the 5ghz mark to stay relevant against intel who seems to be taking advantage of their peak turbo clocks right now to differentiate their products, and with them moving to 6 and 8 core mainstream parts Amd cant simply throw more cores at the problem.

The main benefit i can see from this is that amd can improve their interconnect to scale better and have lower latencies all while producing even smaller chips; which will help in producing higher supply targeting lower pricepoints, and higher marketshare.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
https://www.globalfoundries.com/new...-technology-for-high-performance-applications

According to this linke they say 10-15% compared to current 16/14nm FF solutions. All in all idk how i feel about this. Ryzen is super good but it definitly got its rough edges that need to be ironed out
For starters ryzen is very power efficient so a shrink isnt whats needed to help it perform as needed. It needs to be revised to clock higher, and to me it seems a simple die shrink wouldnt result in much progress there as the power efficiency gain will most likely be advantages below the 4ghz mark but not at peak. Amd need to be clocking ryzen the 5ghz mark to stay relevant against intel who seems to be taking advantage of their peak turbo clocks right now to differentiate their products, and with them moving to 6 and 8 core mainstream parts Amd cant simply throw more cores at the problem.

The main benefit i can see from this is that amd can improve their interconnect to scale better and have lower latencies all while producing even smaller chips; which will help in producing higher supply targeting lower pricepoints, and higher marketshare.

Clocks won't even matter if intel can't fix their 10nm problems LOL. That's why they're still not releasing performance desktop CPUs (if ANY desktop, maybe NUC?) in 2018 at all. After all the delays, they lost another 6 months at minimum.

At this rate, by the time 10nm actually comes, we'll have Zen 2 in full production. Ice Lake being another micro-increase over cannon...ouch.

Last edited:

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Sounds a lot like TSMCs 12nm process or Intels Hyperscaling. Same process with some tweaks but a new name.

Might be enough for 100-200Mhz more..

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
so will these newer 12nm chips be able to fit on current ryzen motherboards? I'm currently considering a threadripper build and I don't want to dish out a bunch of money on a mobo/cpu only to have it replaced in a few months.

According to AMD traditions, AM4 along with the current 300 series chipsets should be able to support everything up to at least Zen 2.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I would appreciate if people stopped calling this a node shrink. GloFo "12nm" is just a refinement of GloFo "14nm", just like TSMC "12nm" is a refinement of TSMC "16nm". Intel does it too, with their "14+" and "14++" enhanced nodes. xx nm is just a marketing name at this point, just take a look:

(note: this is a logarithmic scale)

There is a good chance it will, since it's just a new stepping.
But why would you buy one and then upgrade? That's like upgrading from Skylake to Kaby Lake.

Sounds a lot like TSMCs 12nm process or Intels Hyperscaling. Same process with some tweaks but a new name.

Exactly.
Just a new stepping with some tweaks on a slightly refined node.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Its a divergent process as the 3D FIN tech used by Intel is different than those used by other fabs. One of the other things to consider is how "clean" the process is in creation of the transistors, so a leaky 10nm might be worse than a 14nm equal part, due to how much extra impedance is created by dirty edges of the fin and capacitive buildup.

Does the process really matter as long as power consumption and clock is competitive? A full on example is Ryzen kicking around current Intel in power consumption, sure half of it is better power control, but the other part is lower leakage even if the transistor needs a little more switching power.

One thing to give to AMD is that they are really good at maintaining hype and hopes, making people wait. There is always something on, even if something new flops there are instantly new rumors, announcements and promises. Not much is delivered in the end, those are always second grade products and the very peak of what AMD they is capable of is pricing those second grade products extremely low (Ryzen), but all of this "wait" nonsense is going on for years and years and only gets stronger. Mostly from people with no money who are looking to justify why they are not buying anything, they can now delude themselves and say that they are waiting instead of not being able to afford, and quality products from the competition are for the taking at any given time, so no serious customer is going to wait, but still, if AMD is good at something, this is it.

Clocks won't even matter if intel can't fix their 10nm problems LOL. That's why they're still not releasing performance desktop CPUs (if ANY desktop, maybe NUC?) in 2018 at all. After all the delays, they lost another 6 months at minimum.

At this rate, by the time 10nm actually comes, we'll have Zen 2 in full production. Ice Lake being another micro-increase over cannon...ouch.
Well actually the main reason intel shouldnt bother with 10nm is because their 14nm is pretty darn good and after so many years of refinement are cloxking up to 5ghz. I doubt 10nm can clock that high atleast initially. And right now its not about fabrication process as both amd and intel are as close in process and ipc than ever but to be fair amd is still a bit behind there as ryzen ipc is about 5-10% behind and cannot clock beyond 4.2ghz or so. Intel on the other hand are releasing chips with turbo to like 4.7ghz or so, keeping them with a healthy over 20% better single threaded performance. The playing field right now is that amd has better multithreaded performance while intel has better single threaded performance, but that will change once intel release an 8 core mainstream chip in 2018

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
ryzen ipc is about 5-10% behind

It's actaully far closer than that. At least, barring Infinity Fabric issues due to slow ram or something. My Ryzen basically matches Kaby Lake IPC in CPU-Z, yes not the most scientific bench, but 10% behind? No way.

It's actaully far closer than that. At least, barring Infinity Fabric issues due to slow ram or something. My Ryzen basically matches Kaby Lake IPC in CPU-Z, yes not the most scientific bench, but 10% behind? No way.
I think thats what i remember from the review here. But yes you are right for the most part as many applications match in ipc but still with some falling slightly behind probably due to optimization. Regardless though amd is behind on clockspeed and right now we are living good days again being able to compare performance between amd and intel by clockspeed and core numbers. Rocking a ryzen 7 1700 and am very pleased.

Yeah you are most probably right. Sounds like a redefined 14nm LPP. It would be super cool if it could have been redefined ibms 14HP(FinFets+SOI), but reading that Globalfoundries news it's obviously not.

And Risk Production in H1 2018!? Erhm so if all goes to bonkers again, we could see something new on that process in Q4/2018.