• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Shutters Visceral Studios, Pivots on Unreleased Star Wars Game Design

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The death knell is sounding in Visceral Games (creators of the Dead Space series), courtesy of EA. The publishing company has shuttered another one of its studios, and is looking to move employees from Visceral to what others remain. Apparently, the Star Wars game, which had a tentative release date for 2019, was shaping up as a "story-based, linear adventure game": not that much of a surprise, considering it was being helmed by Uncharted series veteran Amy Hennig. A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development, led by a team from EA Vancouver that was already working on the project.

Apparently, EA wasn't much enjoying the way the game was developing; usually, linear, story-based games don't lend themselves much for microtransactions or loot boxes, now do they? Citing "shifts in the marketplace", EA says that "It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design," so that it "allows for more variety and player agency." All in all, this sounds much like Destiny, or upcoming Bioware game Anthem. But it will also certainly lend itself better to further monetization, considering how it's one of the industry's most important sources of revenue.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
After already destroying Bioware, there wasn't much else to look for story based games from EA. Hennig's game was their "only hope" for me.

May EA be damned.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I actually started a new playthrough of Dead Space (1) just a week ago.

Sad to see another solid dev torn to pieces

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
EA used to have that slogan "challenge everything".
It's more like "destroy everything".

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I actually started a new playthrough of Dead Space (1) just a week ago.

Sad to see another solid dev torn to pieces

To this day I think this is the best sci-fi survival horror I have came across, hands down there is no dispute. I bought the two graphic novels. I've replayed the mobile and PC games many times. There's something there that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
EA, the worst company in the World again in 2017/2018?? They certainly get my vote for sure.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
After already destroying Bioware, there wasn't much else to look for story based games from EA. Hennig's game was their "only hope" for me.

May EA be damned.
Truth be told, in a world of DLC and microtransactions, the story always gets thrown under the bus. I don't follow big budget AAA titles for quite a while now, but from I have played, only the Witcher series still had a standout story.

And I don't play EA titles because of Origin.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Truth be told, in a world of DLC and microtransactions, the story always gets thrown under the bus. I don't follow big budget AAA titles for quite a while now, but from I have played, only the Witcher series still had a standout story.

And I don't play EA titles because of Origin.

RPG wise, sure the Witcher stands out. But this wasn't RPG. Just an action game. As far as big budget goes, good games like this are still everywhere. Tomb Raider, Bioshock, GTA, Batman, Amy Hennig's own Uncharted games.. Why the hell hire the person who wrote Uncharted and then do this? These people are hopelessly stupid.

Also, MP wise, they already have Battlefront and an MMO for Star Wars... and yet still did this. And if they're now trying to chase some "Destiny market", they're going to lose again. Just like their dreams of a "WoW killer" tanked, and they never quite have a massive shooter hit like COD.

Last edited:
EA has the worst self awareness. NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 lived for 6 years. I could still get people play it online last year. Needles to say, EA didn't invest ANYTHING into it. They just released it, gave it 1 or 2 patches and let it rot even though there were many things to fix and lots of potential for people to maybe invest money in. Like new DLC cars. They did release few car packs, but since they let the base game to rot to death, it was of little meaning to release things for a game that's essentially dead. They are in the gaming scene for decades and they behave like they have absolutely no clue what the hell they are even doing. If you keep gamers happy you'll make money. Lots of it. What they are constantly doing is just pissing everyone off by shutting down good studios, making moronic business decisions and leaving good games to rot. Where is that Jackie Chan's image where he's holding his head with both hands with confused expression on his face, when you need it...

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
RPG wise, sure the Witcher stands out. But this wasn't RPG. Just an action game. As far as big budget goes, good games like this are still everywhere. Tomb Raider, Bioshock, GTA, Batman, Amy Hennig's own Uncharted games.. Why the hell hire the person who wrote Uncharted and then do this? These people are hopelessly stupid.

Also, MP wise, they already have Battlefront and an MMO for Star Wars... and yet still did this. And if they're now trying to chase some "Destiny market", they're going to lose again. Just like their dreams of a "WoW killer" tanked, and they never quite have a massive shooter hit like COD.
Substitute "story" with "gameplay" if you wish ;)

I like games that challenge the mind, not entice me to grind. I'm on the fence about Path of Exile though, where you have to grind to be able to check whether your toon is actually worthy - though that may be self-inflicted because I play solo.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Substitute "story" with "gameplay" if you wish ;)

I like games that challenge the mind, not entice me to grind. I'm on the fence about Path of Exile though, where you have to grind to be able to check whether your toon is actually worthy - though that may be self-inflicted because I play solo.

Same here. And to me, these story driven action games are often the best way to present that. They don't usually have levels or grinding. They revolve around puzzles, more or less (puzzles laid out in a Stage itself, or puzzles with enemy types and boss battles, etc..). Not challenging though, if you've seen the puzzle somewhere else already.

Reactions: bug
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Didnt have enough lootboxes and micro transactions for EA.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
:lovetpu::lovetpu:
RPG wise, sure the Witcher stands out. But this wasn't RPG. Just an action game.
:confused: The series is very much RPG. Action game would be the Sniper Elite series, as an example.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
:lovetpu::lovetpu:
:confused: The series is very much RPG. Action game would be the Sniper Elite series, as an example.

This star wars game wasn't RPG. It was action... as in action adventure. There wasn't much else known, but that much was said multiple times.

I don't know.. unless you're one of those gamers who consider even GTA an "RPG". I run into people who do that, but I don't know where they're coming from. :)

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Didnt have enough lootboxes and micro transactions for EA.

(TL;DR at end)

I used to frequently play a MUD (yeah, yeah.....some of you may be thinking "WTF is a MUD?" or others laughing that someone admits to even playing one this day and age), but over the past few years they heavily switched over to a micro transaction type setup for their game.

Years ago they would hold "extra" pay-type event that would go for the span of a couple weeks. Very unique places made specifically for the venue. GMs would role play characters and there'd be wide interaction between players and them. Most of these "extra" events were done a couple of years apart. People that paid a little extra, usually around $50, got access to unique areas, items and lots of role playing opportunities. I had a blast at the handful of these events that I attended.

The MUD was, and still is, subscription based. The cost of a basic subscription has varied over the years from $9.95 (once the game left AOL years back and moved directly to the web) to $14.95 today. There are tier based subscriptions, but $14.95 is the base cost to have full access to all the game has to offer in the normal, base game. Basic sub means you get 1 character, locker access and so on. You can pay an extra $20 a month on top of the basic price for a Premium account and you're allowed 15 characters, access to a premium member only area and 10% discount on "extra" event prices and a few other benefits.

A few years back the company introduced an out of game currency you can buy to apply to "special" items that can aid you in game for specific things, but these items are not needed nor are you restricted in how the normal, base game functions if you don't buy these items. They then introduced special events that no longer cost an entry fee to access it. Anyone and everyone can go to these areas, even the F2P accounts (F2P accounts have heavy restrictions on it and micro transactions at the real cash store are almost required to play the game normally if you don't want to pay $15 a month for a basic account) can come to the areas. However, here's the kicker, to participate in the games or access stores or participate with merchants you have to buy coins with real cash from the coin store - it functions much like a cell phone game. All games are based on RNG and the chance of getting any decent item is very low. People have gone from spending $50 per account to access the events to spending hundreds to thousands of dollars for the new special in game currencies that are tied to each different event so you can build up enough to purchase rare items. The actual in-game currency (silvers) you used to use to buy things at these special events because that is the in-game currency you earn from combat, selling loot and such has been so diminished by the extra special currencies that are now tied to these pay to play events that require micro transactions is that it's pointless to save up silvers for anything since they're no longer used for anything.

All events have been pushed to requiring micro transactions from the coin store now. All the special "extra" events from years ago that had so much unique interaction from GMs are gone. You basically need to pay to play and it's not just a few bucks to get anything good, you have to put in a lot of money and time. As odd as it sounds, I had two accounts and spent around $600 a year on the game (this is on the low end compared to majority of the rest of the people that play). Add another $50 every one or two years for an "extra" event I would attend. But with the change over to requiring someone to have a subscription based account, plus needing to spend hundreds of $ on coins from the store I couldn't stand it anymore and I cut ties with the game. A MUD that I've played off and on since '94....I dumped all my in game items and sold off in game silver and walked away.

TL;DR: I walked away from a MUD I've played since '94 because they moved to a heavy micro transaction pay method.

I won't play a game that requires micro transactions so you can enjoy the full functionality of a game. I'm not a game company's personal piggy bank. If they provide a quality game with a single purchase to enjoy the game in its entirety, I'll will support them and buy the game. I won't be nickle and dimed. I won't support those companies/games that require micro transactions

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Meh, just means more opportunity for indie developers to build in depth linear games.

Its funny that you mentioned that. EA made other developers jump on the opportunity to destroy SimCity
Right? And look at the completely wonderful and SUPERIOR games we got as a result.

Haven't bought a non-GOG.com EA game since 2009[Red Alert 3, which I swiftly crack to run offline]. EA hasn't made a decent quality game since that time. Or more to the point, they haven't made a game that has made me want to give them money to deal with the acceptably foul DRM schemes.

Note to EA; Make GOOD games and lose the DRM, micro-tranactions & DLC. Then you might get some of my gaming budget again, outside of GOG. Until then, EffU!

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Haven't bought a non-GOG.com EA game since 2009[Red Alert 3, which I swiftly crack to run offline]. EA hasn't made a decent quality game since that time. Or more to the point, they haven't made a game that has made me want to give them money to deal with the acceptably foul DRM schemes.

Note to EA; Make GOOD games and lose the DRM, micro-tranactions & DLC. Then you might get some of my gaming budget again. Until then, EffU!
Did you miss the news where the gaming industry tripled its value because of microtransactions and DLC? So EffUs :(

Did you miss the news where the gaming industry tripled its value because of microtransactions and DLC? So EffUs :(
Don't care how much money they've made. Money doesn't equal quality. EA and others have proven this with all of the "AAA" shovel-ware they produce.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
This star wars game wasn't RPG. It was action... as in action adventure. There wasn't much else known, but that much was said multiple times.

I don't know.. unless you're one of those gamers who consider even GTA an "RPG". I run into people who do that, but I don't know where they're coming from. :)
I'm not sure you paid attention to what sentence of yours I was quoting and responding to. I agree Star Wars and GTA are not RPG btw. Other than that, not sure where you are going with all that.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Don't care how much money they've made. Money doesn't equal quality. EA and others have proven this with all of the "AAA" shovel-ware they produce.
Didn't say you should care. But when they rake in the cash, there's no reason for them to change their ways, is it?

Didn't say you should care. But when they rake in the cash, there's no reason for them to change their ways, is it?
From a business point of view, that's a good point. From a quality point of view, it's total rubbish. And they are continuing to alienate players. The world is waking up to this kind of BS.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm not sure you paid attention to what sentence of yours I was quoting and responding to. I agree Star Wars and GTA are not RPG btw. Other than that, not sure where you are going with all that.

I'm not sure what you're quoting then either. lol. Looks like we agree, after all. I said originally that Visceral wasn't making an RPG, but it seems you got that mixed in with the Witcher comment... which we'd both say is an RPG.

I'm not sure they are raking in cash. They keep closing down studios.

They're not proud of some of their games either. A successful company goes out of it's way to show the sales numbers and brag. They hide that stuff, when it comes to Bioware, for example. They probably spent as much as CDProjekt on DAI ($80 million) or more, but the sales sucked. It never even reached top 10 on NPD charts. And dropped price immediately. I knew MEA was doomed before it even released... and that EA would try to keep a brave face. But they ended up having to admit how much it sucked by just shutting future development down.

Last edited: