• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Confirms Z270 Platform Could be Compatible with Intel Coffee Lake CPUs

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Wasn't that because of faulty sockets?

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
It isn't about the amount of VRMs. I only mentioned the VRMs to show that ASUS really isn't the one we should be listening to when it comes to their judgement on what is necessary for power delivery.

The issue with Coffee Lake is the number of power pins in the socket itself. There aren't enough in the old 1151 socket to safely provide the power needed for the 6-core Coffee Lake. Does no one remember the burnt pins/pads problem socket 1156 had? Intel learned from their mistake and is making sure there are plenty of pins for power delivery. Yes, you could probably technically get away with the lower number of pins on the old 1151, but when you pass more current through something it gets hotter. Possibly hot enough to start melting/burning things.

When you pass too much currant through too few of pins, this happens:

Those images are for the faulty LGA1156 socket made by Foxconn.

OC'ed KBL and SKL already draw way more power than the standard spec for LGA1151 yet you don't hear anyone moaning about fried CPU sockets in various forums.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Those images are for the faulty LGA1156 socket made by Foxconn.

OC'ed KBL and SKL already draw way more power than the standard spec for LGA1151 yet you don't hear anyone moaning about fried CPU sockets in various forums.

It is still the result of too much currant through too few pins, that was my point.

Yes, Kaby and Skylake overclocked pulled a lot of current, but Coffee Lake overclocked will pull more. So more pins are needed to keep things safe.

I've been saying that the original 1151 wasn't setup for more than 4 cores since it first came out and people started asking if it would have 6 core CPUs.

Intel can't just put the product out based on it probably being good enough. They have to be completely sure the socket and processor won't be damaged by the higher power draw.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Current.

Though It could be black currant jelly stains.

So either those pins are never any good for overclocking and overvolting at any level with older processors, or.... they would be fine with the minor power increase at stock clocks for a new chip.

See how that works, if it were such an issue at the socket, any attempt to overclock and or overvolt would be met with immediate destruction. But it's not.

It is still the result of too much currant through too few pins, that was my point.

Yes, Kaby and Skylake overclocked pulled a lot of current, but Coffee Lake overclocked will pull more. So more pins are needed to keep things safe.

I've been saying that the original 1151 wasn't setup for more than 4 cores since it first came out and people started asking if it would have 6 core CPUs.

Intel can't just put the product out based on it probably being good enough. They have to be completely sure the socket and processor won't be damaged by the higher power draw.
Well they didn't release the 4c CL parts either for that matter on z170/z270. Intel is FoS a lot of the time on things it claims and says.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
I can confirm that i once made an Intel Desktop Board DZ87KLT-75K compatible with the Devil's Canyon CPUs, Intel does not officially support them on Z87 Chipset, all i did was updated the Intel Management Engine and the BIOS also needs to already be detecting the CPU for this to work or if not the BIOS itself also needs to be updated

You could check the thread on intels community forum, where i posted the method i used

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78161
My ASUS Gryphon Z87 supports i7-4790K

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
So basically intel just trying to milk customers to max.

Not that Intel customers really care. The instant Coffee lake released Intel fanboy's come out praising it's performance and price. It's a good product only because AMD forced Intel to do it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
So either those pins are never any good for overclocking and overvolting at any level with older processors, or.... they would be fine with the minor power increase at stock clocks for a new chip.

See how that works, if it were such an issue at the socket, any attempt to overclock and or overvolt would be met with immediate destruction. But it's not.

No, that isn't how it works. Skylake and KabyLake overclocking didn't increase the currant through the socket that much. First of all, the overclocking on those chips wasn't exactly stellar. You already had parts like the 7700K running at 4.5GHz under load, and because of the thermal constraints pushing them to 5GHz, even under water, was easier said than done. That means the actual currant increase for the previous chips when overclocking was actually pretty low. When Anandtech did their 7700K reviews, they pushed the chip to 1.4v, and the power draw only increased by about 30w over the stock. The perspective here is the 8700K at stock is already at 30w more power draw than the 7700K, and when you start overclocking 6-cores instead of 4, the power draw goes up much quicker.

So, it comes down to, yes Intel probably could have made Coffee Lake work on the old socket 1151. However, it could have also started causing problems too, especially once people started overclocking them, so erroring on the side of caution is best from a business stand point.

Well they didn't release the 4c CL parts either for that matter on z170/z270. Intel is FoS a lot of the time on things it claims and says.

Yeah, they learned not to make that mistake again after the socket 775 fiasco...

And frankly, there is no reason to release 4C Coffee Lake on the old chipsets/socket. If you want 4C Coffee Lake, just go buy an i5-7600K. There's really no difference.

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
Disgusting. Z270 motherboards were not released that long ago, and now everyone who bought them are robed!!! I could say the same for Z170 motherboards - even those should support Coffee Lake chips, since the same 14 nm litography process is used since Broadwell architecture... There are no IPC improvements! The only difference from Broadwell era is the massive improvement in memory bandwidth due to DDR4 and higher clock speeds! What a pathetic excuse for a company - Intel!

This even beats platform update for Sandy Bridge chips - remember how everyone was pissed of that you needed a new 1155/2011 motherboard for Sandy Bridge chips? Everyone was bitching that Intel should have sticked with 1156/1366, but now it's a standard thing that you need to change a motherboard every 2 generations - NO SIR, now you have do this every generation!

What happened to S775 days - so much architecture changes on single socket!!! In the future we will be needing to buy a new motherboard for the same family processors!

I fell pity for all Z170/Z270 buyers.

No, that isn't how it works. Skylake and KabyLake overclocking didn't increase the currant through the socket that much. First of all, the overclocking on those chips wasn't exactly stellar. You already had parts like the 7700K running at 4.5GHz under load, and because of the thermal constraints pushing them to 5GHz, even under water, was easier said than done. That means the actual currant increase for the previous chips when overclocking was actually pretty low. When Anandtech did their 7700K reviews, they pushed the chip to 1.4v, and the power draw only increased by about 30w over the stock. The perspective here is the 8700K at stock is already at 30w more power draw than the 7700K, and when you start overclocking 6-cores instead of 4, the power draw goes up much quicker.

So, it comes down to, yes Intel probably could have made Coffee Lake work on the old socket 1151. However, it could have also started causing problems too, especially once people started overclocking them, so erroring on the side of caution is best from a business stand point.

Yeah, they learned not to make that mistake again after the socket 775 fiasco...

And frankly, there is no reason to release 4C Coffee Lake on the old chipsets/socket. If you want 4C Coffee Lake, just go buy an i5-7600K. There's really no difference.
Less cache...actually getting a Skylake based Xeon with BCLK is probably arguably better if you intended to OC since they had 8MB cache...and yes there is point more cache helps plus if what they say is true about the refinements to 14nm that is better as well. Intel is just milking consumers they could have released the i3 coffee lake chips on older chip sets and newer ones on the newer z370 and saved consumers the cost of a unneeded motherboard upgrade. Also the older Skylake/Kaby Lake chips have gone up in price rather than down over time which is the opposite of what you'd expect for a older supposedly "less powerful" chip. Intel has created a artificial supply and constraint with the way it keeps changing chip sets and CPU skew's and phasing others out prematurely to push the demand for the newer chip sets and CPU's up further. I don't remember much fiasco with LGA775 other than P4's running hotter than a stuck on brake caliper. Hell LGA775 even supports DDR3 2200MHz on a couple P45 boards probably higher technically it's just DDR3 was in it's very early infancy and that's w/o fancy north bridge chip set cooling would helps a lot in that regard.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Less cache...

Sure, but the extra 2MB of cache on the 8350K doesn't really help it any. The 7600K performs nearly identical. And the 7700K is still better than the 8350K as well, so people with the older platforms have options that are as good or better than the 8350K.

plus if what they say is true about the refinements to 14nm that is better as well.

They've been on 14nm for 4 generations now. I really don't think there is much more they can do to refine it between the 3rd and 4th generation of chips.

Intel is just milking consumers they could have released the i3 coffee lake chips on older chip sets and newer ones on the newer z370 and saved consumers the cost of a unneeded motherboard upgrade.

Instead they'd just be getting unneeded CPU upgrades. There is no point to release a 4C Coffee Lake on a platform that already has a 4C Kaby. There really is no worthwhile improvement. And releasing half a product line that works on older motherboards and half that doesn't leads to consumer confusion.

I don't remember much fiasco with LGA775 other than P4's running hotter than a stuck on brake caliper. Hell LGA775 even supports DDR3 2200MHz on a couple P45 boards probably higher technically it's just DDR3 was in it's very early infancy and that's w/o fancy north bridge chip set cooling would helps a lot in that regard.

Then you should brush up on your computer history. They did exactly what you are asking them to do with 775, and it backfired. People were buying computers and motherboard that worked with Core 2 Duos just fine, but when they went to upgrade to Core 2 Quads, they found their motherboards didn't support them. Chips from the same product line, from the same generation, wouldn't all work in the same motherboards. I don't think Intel is going to make that mistake again.

The 8350K is better value though than the 7700K and if the cache didn't help Intel's cheap bastards ***'s wouldn't have it they love to cut corners to save a penny. The 8350K actually has better SC and quad core OC than 7700K it does and is better at QC and SC though a bit worse at MC due to lacking hyper threading. You are inherently wrong that it would be bad to offer those things to z170/z270 motherboard owners that gap will actually widen further in terms of value because 7600K/7700K prices will continue to increase if the past is any indicator.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8350K/3647vs3935

At the end of the day however Ryzen is still the best value by a long shot relative to overall performance to me. Now if I didn't have to buy a new motherboard on top of CPU the 8350K could have been tempting for z170/z270 users like myself so Intel's loss AMD's gain as far as that goes. I'll just score a 6700K off ebay in another year or two once they are cheap as hell and headed to a landfill for disposal shortly otherwise priced. I'll save my money toward a GPU instead bang for buck king.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
...and yet we have people here on this board that defend Intel everyday. Intel is one of the advancement killers of today. AdoredTV made a pretty good video on what Intel actually is (hint: Intel is just about money, nothing else):
Welcome to the world of Capitalism. Please enjoy your stay.

Kronos121212

I hope amd make improvements to the new ryzen lift incoming February (especially to single core performance) cause lot owner s of older CPU - sockets have disgusting with Intel's policy
I'm using 7700k

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The 8350K is better value though than the 7700K and if the cache didn't help Intel's cheap bastards ***'s wouldn't have it they love to cut corners to save a penny. The 8350K actually has better SC and quad core OC than 7700K it does and is better at QC and SC though a bit worse at MC due to lacking hyper threading. You are inherently wrong that it would be bad to offer those things to z170/z270 motherboard owners that gap will actually widen further in terms of value because 7600K/7700K prices will continue to increase if the past is any indicator.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8350K/3647vs3935

Userbench is quite possibly the worst place you can get comparative results. Go read some actual reviews. A benchmark "suite" that takes less than 2 minutes to run is not properly testing the performance of the CPU. Look here: https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i3_8350K/images/perfrel_cpu.png Notice how the 7600K is virtual identical to the 8350K. I don't really think anyone with a 7600K is running out to the stores to upgrade to a 8350K, even if it was compatible with their motherboards.

Oh, and lets talk about value. The 7600K right now is cheaper than the 8350K. The 8350K is going for, what about $240 right now. The 7600K can be had for $230. Even if the 7600K does go up a little, it won't really be that much. History actually shows the processors don't really go up in price. Example, the 6600K is still available for $230 too. Plus, you're far more likely to find a good value on the 7600K in the used market than an 8350K, used 7600Ks go for $200 right now. And the used price is going to drop even more if the price of the 8350K comes down any. The way prices really work is the previous platform's processors drop in price on the used market significantly after a new platform is released and people are dumping their old parts on the market. Then as the used supply dries up, the price goes back up to about what the original retail price was. Hell, you can still buy a brand new 6700K for $315. The price hasn't gone up any, heck it's gone down. When the 6700K came out, it was $350.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
:respect: Well you are right :laugh: Ryzen 1600/1700 are a better value :roll:

As soon as you can figure out how to put a Ryzen 1600 in a Z170/270 board, you'll have a valid point.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Oh, and lets talk about value. The 7600K right now is cheaper than the 8350K. The 8350K is going for, what about $240 right now.
I see 8350K in stock at 169.90€ (euro prices with taxes).
Intel 8000 series availability seems to be a lot worse on the other side of pond.

:respect: Well you are right :laugh: Ryzen 1600/1700 are a better value :roll:
1600, probably yes. On the other hand there is 8400 that currently sits right at the same price point as 1600 (with current inflated prices). 1700 is twice as expensive as 8350K, not a good comparison.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Ill cash in on a Z370 board easily, just cause it doesnt work for others. Then upgrade to a cheap CPU to test with.....
Best part is the resell value after repair.

I see 8350K in stock at 169.90€ (euro prices with taxes).
Intel 8000 series availability seems to be a lot worse on the other side of pond.

1600, probably yes. On the other hand there is 8400 that currently sits right at the same price point as 1600 (with current inflated prices). 1700 is twice as expensive as 8350K, not a good comparison.
Yeah BS 1700 isn't a good comparison a CPU + MB for Ryzen 1700 is cheaper than a 8350K + motherboard. It's also not twice as expensive it's $30's more.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Intel plan to launch Coffee Lake with 8 cores?
Problem is because people are too much opsessed with last models not with performance.
X99 platform is compatible with Haswell-E and Broadwell-E, almost 3 years.

Now if someone have good motherboard, DDR4 3000-3200MHz don't need to upgrade on X299 8 cores. Better to wait price drop of i7-6950X and upgrade on him.
But Intel need to slow down with new chipsets

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently HyperX Alloy Origins 65
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
X platform is still more attractive to me. No matter on slightly smaller fps in games.
You buy some ROG motherboard, some cheaper version of CPU, example i7-7820X and install Monoblock on Rampage 6 Apex motherboard, with one GTX1080Ti Poseidon, 10/13mm fittings, no need for bigger, X-Res Revo 100 and wait little to price of i9 drop. Don't need to be newest platform to satisfied all needs of enthusiasts and gamers. I like to keep platforms as X58, X79, X99, X299 longer than P55, P67, Z68, Z77, Z87, Z97, Z170, Z270, Z370.
4 chipsets and 2 sockets Xtreme vs 9 chipsets and 4 sockets Mainstream.
Difference from Z77 to Z370 is small for 3 sockets. OK now difference is very nice compare to Z77-Z270.
Coffee Lake i7-8700K is long waiting 6 core for mainstream. People who thought about upgrade their i7-3770K, i7-4770K no need to wait nothing else.
Intel made good move, i5-8600K best option for gamers who don't want fancy and expensive processors.
6 core without HT, he will OC better and kill i7-7700K completely.