• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Kills Off Kinect for Xbox

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft has discontinued Kinect, the gesture-tracking accessory for Xbox which was all the rage a couple of years ago. The company has stopped manufacturing Kinect, and at its last count, sold over 35 million units of it (including standalone units and bundled with Xbox consoles). Gesture and voice recognition flourished as Kinect formed Microsoft's answer to Nintendo Wii and its WiiMotion controller, that enabled sports games in the living room. Kinect added another dimension to it, by taking input from not just your hands' 3D spatial orientation, but also that of your entire body. The accessory also doubled up as a web-camera for your living room. Microsoft plans Windows Mixed Reality headsets to succeed Kinect, as they combine several of its functions with VR and AR.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

so sad again this policy, and I have never used or seen it.

finally... didnt see anyone using it much as it was quite expensive purchase in India.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I tried Kinect on the 360, but it just didn't work well for me, so I stopped using it. Heck, our Wii has been in its box for a long time, too, as the controls just never felt very precise on it either. When I play a game, I prefer to take a seat, not flail around in futility.

Kinect really hurt everything MS had attained with the 360, as the Kinect hardware being bundled by default on XboxOne caused them to make sacrifices in console power in order to meet an already too expensive price point. Sony just walked all over MS this round.

I am sad about this. I bought XBOX mostly because of kinect. Me, my family and my friends had a lot of fun playing games with it.

In hindsight they'd probably have left it off from the base unit and knocked off $50 at original XB1 launch. Just Dance was about the only thing it was ever useful for.

Microsoft does have an opportunity to gain back some ground on Sony with an excellent VR/AR implementation. I have Sony's PSVR and it's great, and it has a decent sized library already, so Sony has a bery big head-start. But it is a bit bulky and "1.0" feeling with all of the connections and size. Coming in this much later, Microsoft has a chance to bring a 2.0-type VR/AR experience that is smoother with less bulk. Whichever company has the first real must-have VR big hit will do well. RE7 was close, but I still haven't seen a must-have console VR game yet. They need an Uncharted/Zelda/(good)Halo/Last of Us tier kind of VR game that is a great game on it's own merits, and not just leaning on the VR tech to impress in a short demo. Until then the install base will be small, and it's a catch-22 since game devs aren't going to bet a lot of resources on a great VR game for a small customer base.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
In hindsight they'd probably have left it off from the base unit and knocked off $50 at original XB1 launch. Just Dance was about the only thing it was ever useful for.

Microsoft does have an opportunity to gain back some ground on Sony with an excellent VR/AR implementation. I have Sony's PSVR and it's great, and it has a decent sized library already, so Sony has a bery big head-start. But it is a bit bulky and "1.0" feeling with all of the connections and size. Coming in this much later, Microsoft has a chance to bring a 2.0-type VR/AR experience that is smoother with less bulk. Whichever company has the first real must-have VR big hit will do well. RE7 was close, but I still haven't seen a must-have console VR game yet. They need an Uncharted/Zelda/(good)Halo/Last of Us tier kind of VR game that is a great game on it's own merits, and not just leaning on the VR tech to impress in a short demo. Until then the install base will be small, and it's a catch-22 since game devs aren't going to bet a lot of resources on a great VR game for a small customer base.

I suspect VR will be another segment that isn't wildly popular. It's not that it doesn't offer something great, but I suspect motion sickness and disorientation will be significant hurtles for many people, as well as the idea of having to strap on head gear as part of recreation. 3DTV never took off, and all that required was a pair of glasses!

As for launch price, I bet MS could have matched Sony's $399 without the Kinect bundle and possibly even added things like GDDR5 to close the performance deficit. Kinect was an expensive pack-in item. Sold separately I believe it was over $100.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
They make ghost and spirit detectors with them and the sdk.

I saw on a show called Ghost Adventures a few times.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
They make ghost and spirit detectors with them and the sdk.

I saw on a show called Ghost Adventures a few times.

I find those moments to be the most entertaining on Ghost Adventures - you see some random stick figure on screen just doing odd movements, flailing limbs, rapidly shooting across the screen or climbing the wall/ceilings. I don't know if those images actually hold proof to ghosts/demons or whatever, but I get a good laugh every time I see them use that device.

Hopefully they stocked up on them just in case.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I find those moments to be the most entertaining on Ghost Adventures - you see some random stick figure on screen just doing odd movements, flailing limbs, rapidly shooting across the screen or climbing the wall/ceilings. I don't know if those images actually hold proof to ghosts/demons or whatever, but I get a good laugh every time I see them use that device.

Hopefully they stocked up on them just in case.

lol flailing limbs is exactly how i remember it very comical.

Good riddance
Right? Took them long enough.
I am sad about this. I bought XBOX mostly because of kinect. Me, my family and my friends had a lot of fun playing games with it.
You would be in the severe minority. And as this is your only comment, you kinda come off as a Microsoft shill.
I suspect VR will be another segment that isn't wildly popular. It's not that it doesn't offer something great, but I suspect motion sickness and disorientation will be significant hurtles for many people, as well as the idea of having to strap on head gear as part of recreation. 3DTV never took off, and all that required was a pair of glasses!
While I agree about 3DTV, VR is different. It's already very cool and some offerings are very well done. Further refinement will likely make it much more mainstream and effective. I've tried out the Occulus and was very impressed with it.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Sad... this is what made Dance Dance a revolution.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
No one the wiser! Nobody remembered Kinect had been hacked so everyone can watch you and your family act like idiots for everyone else on the internetz. :rolleyes:

There once was a farfetched rumorconspiracy theory that the NSA/USG madeforced m$ make these as spy tools. :shadedshu:

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
It came with my XOne, but I never really had the space for it. It was only useful for doing some voice commands (it still may be good for that, if I try hooking it up to Windows, I guess).

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Another thing to add to the list, of things Microsoft announced, was excited about, and then let wither and die.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Another thing to add to the list, of things Microsoft announced, was excited about, and then let wither and die.

I never thought it had hope to begin with, no matter what they did.. Even though I bought a day 1 Xbox, they would have been better off not bundling Kinect (among other things).

Same goes for all of these companies pushing for VR. Few people even asked for it... and therefore it will fail.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
What's recently with all this VR crap?? I don't want to wear a giant heavy helmet when I'm playing games and get dizzy after 15 mins.... Screw that.

Last edited:
What's recently with all this VR crap?? I don't want to war a giant heavy helmet when I'm playing games and get dizzy after 15 mins.... Screw that.

VR is some buzz word.
Gets thrown around now and then
other than that seems to be 15 year olds wet dream...

has been around for years... although now available in 4k...

VR dosn't have that killer app or standardization