• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft: Demand for Xbox One X Defies Expectations

I ended up cancelling my Project Scorpio pre-order last night. I got in my order as soon as they went live, but the more I thought about it for me it just didn't make sense with the small number of exclusives they have for it (and not much on the horizon). The few exclusives they have coming don't look too great also. But the system itself looks like a good deal for people without a gaming PC. Since I have a gaming PC, and Microsoft is putting all of their exclusive games from XB1 out for PC also, for me I'd rather put the $500 towards more PC hardware.

If the exclusives list improves for xbox, and/or the price comes down a bit I might jump on it later though.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB, Toshiba N300 10TB HDD, Seagate Ironwolf 4T HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X32FP 32in 160Hz 4K IPS FreeSync/GSync DP, LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Overpriced RAM and midrange GPUs are currently what stop us from building a very close approximation for similar price.
Of more major and expensive bits, any desktop CPU (lets say starting from $100) is at least as powerful as that 8-core Jaguar in XBX and GPU amounts very closely to RX580 (MSRP $229).
Games like ARK Survival (UE4) has separated X1X from RX-580.
RX-580 doesn't include X1X GPU's 2MB render cache. https://gpucuriosity.wordpress.com/...der-cache-size-advantage-over-the-older-gcns/

Not sure the information Microsoft's supplying is entirely accurate. I'm friends with the manager at one of the local GameStop stores and he's saying that they have a surplus of the XB1X systems. Where as the PS4Pro and Switch are still selling very well.

This seems more like a marketing ploy to foster interest rather than actual selling performance.

D

Deleted member 172152

Not sure the information Microsoft's supplying is entirely accurate. I'm friends with the manager at one of the local GameStop stores and he's saying that they have a surplus of the XB1X systems. Where as the PS4Pro and Switch are still selling very well.

This seems more like a marketing ploy to foster interest rather than actual selling performance.
Microsoft only knows what people order from them. Most shops I've seen have a huge deficit anyway and whoever has a surplus won't have for too long once availibility other than pre-order goes up.

How long there'll be a deficit nobody knows, but with ebery major console launch there's at least a few weeks of grumpy buyers not getting their shiny new consoles.

Microsoft only knows what people order from them. Most shops I've seen have a huge deficit anyway and whoever has a surplus won't have for too long once availibility other than pre-order goes up.

How long there'll be a deficit nobody knows, but with ebery major console launch there's at least a few weeks of grumpy buyers not getting their shiny new consoles.
Maybe it depends on the region? I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so who knows.

D

Deleted member 172152

Maybe it depends on the region? I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so who knows.
Just wait till european fanboys get impatient and start raiding all your stores! XD

xbox is really popular where I live and some people I know will do ANYTHING to get their hands on a one X!

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
What I'd really like to see is total PC convergence..and an upgrade to the Windows Xbox app that behaves like the console UI and provide an even better store than GOG or Steam (or fully utilize them). I hope this is the last gen of consoles. MS has everything already to come out on top if/when that happens. They simply don't combine them. Same goes for media playback. Having all XB features on PC would be great.

I'm actually typing from an Xb btw. Waiting for PC parts. This is my downtime machine I guess. The only use I get out of it anymore.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
What I'd really like to see is total PC convergence..and an upgrade to the Windows Xbox app that behaves like the console UI and provide an even better store than GOG or Steam (or fully utilize them). I hope this is the last gen of consoles. MS has everything already to come out on top if/when that happens. They simply don't combine them. Same goes for media playback. Having all XB features on PC would be great.
This is already happening. Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere initiative does a lot to make Xbox and Windows converge. In this generation where they do not sell consoles at loss any more, Microsoft is in a very good place to try and converge platforms, as Sony (and to lesser degree, Nintendo) are unable to compete.

Media playback situation is pure idiocy through and through. Netflix UHD has specific stupid requirements from computer. (HDR) UHD Bluray has even more specific and expensive requirements and all this is DRM. There is no good technical reason for any of this.

If only they could get things with their store together. It's incredibly awful both on Xbox and Windows. I don't know about US, UK or other supported locations but I live in a place that does not exist for Microsoft. This adds another layer of crap to dealing with Microsoft's Stores. I would really hate Microsoft to try and monopolise their Store though. Although inconvenient, all the different competing digital download (and DRM :() platforms on PC are a good thing.

I have been wondering for a while why doesn't Microsoft try to somehow try to leverage Windows and build in some platform-agnostic games launcher/system. My Games in Vista/7 was a step in that direction that they abandoned. Xbox app is a different take on the same problem but limited to Xbox/Microsoft Store. The problem is it cannot be tied to any platform including theit own store but has to be with an API available for everyone to work. No chance of getting something like that I guess.

Last edited: