• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driven by Chinese PUBG Players, Windows 7 Now Most Popular OS on Steam

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So it's official: Windows 7 is the new XP.

Win10 is the reason I have no plan to upgrade past Skylake or move to Ryzen. Sure I can use Linux (I do for my workstation and home server), but I need Windows for my gaming.

Ryzen user running Windows 7 checking in. Works fine, though you lose TPM 1.2 and a few low-idle power features. Meh.

Win10 is the reason I have no plan to upgrade past Skylake or move to Ryzen. Sure I can use Linux (I do for my workstation and home server), but I need Windows for my gaming.
Windows 7 WILL run on Ryzen, stable and fast! Almost every Ryzen board maker has drivers for Windows 7 and even have USB 3 patching utilities. Asrock has a very good one!
Absolutely, but tell that to all the cementheads still running 7 now and having their free update expire
So you're effectively calling more than half the computing world "cementheads" because we care about our privacy, digital security and don't want to give up functionality. I call your statement very narrow minded and uninformed.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So you're effectively calling more than half the computing world "cementheads" because we care about our privacy, digital security and don't want to give up functionality. I call your statement very narrow minded and uninformed.
yes.

I still have my privacy, security, and functionality in w10. Its the paranoid androids doing without. :)

So you're effectively calling more than half the computing world "cementheads" because we care about our privacy, digital security and don't want to give up functionality.

The vast majority of Windows 8/10 haters simply don't like the changes to the start menu, hence why they get ridiculed so much (because you hardly ever use the start menu post Vista unless you're doing something wrong).

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Absolutely, but tell that to all the cementheads still running 7 now and having their free update expire
Are you running Windows 10, or Arrogance 10 as your main OS?

I really don't understand people who judge others negatively, because they didn't do the same choices they did.

I am running both Windows 7 and 10 and I really don't feel the need to have all my systems to a continued beta testing mode, because Microsoft needs so, while it transforms it's operating system from a standard version to an ongoing changing service.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Windows 7 will never have the longevity XP has had because nowhere near as many users are tied to it as were to XP, staying on 7 is more of an aesthetic choice.
More importantly, windows 7 will not have the longevity of XP because of licensing.

Business licenses expire in 2020, and when they do, anything using them becomes unusable until they get a new license. For many businesses, they either move to 10 or have no machines.

7 wont stick around like XP did, thats for sure.

Are you running Windows 10, or Arrogance 10 as your main OS?

I really don't understand people who judge others negatively, because they didn't do the same choices they did.

I am running both Windows 7 and 10 and I really don't feel the need to have all my systems to a continued beta testing mode, because Microsoft needs so, while it transforms it's operating system from a standard version to an ongoing changing service.
There are two main reasons most cite for running windows 10: "ZOMG SPYWORE!!!!11!!" and "The tablet interface doesnt belong on a PC".

The first one is also true of any windows 7 machine updates in the past 2 years, and more importantly, there is no evidence that this spyware is anything but users freaking out over speculation. Telemetry has been collected since windows 2000 (and I'll bet money that nearly every single one of said users uses a smartphone with voice recognition and possibly facebook/twitter installed, the google search engine, accounts on many website, uses the web for banking ans shopping, ece.) The "tablet interface" complainers are either too lazy or incompetent to install classic shell if they want the 7 interface that badly.

there are legitimate reasons to stay on 7 (software compatibility for one, although 10 seems pretty good in this regard). The reasons most cite while spewing about how terrible 10 is and why they are staying on 7 are ridiculous, and thus get ridiculed for being ridiculous.

There is also a third reason, as you pointed out: "10 IS BETA SOFTWARE!!". If you dont want to use "beta" software, stay out of the fast ring. The slow ring 10 has not resembled beta software since a few months from launch (in case you dont remember, 10 had an actual beta) and you can defer updates for quite some time on windows 10 pro if you are super paranoid. The people who always claim that 10 is like beta software always seem to have mysterious problems that point to either hardware faults or user error.

People judge those who make different choices negatively when those others choose differently for ridiculous and ill-informed reasons, then stay the course.

Last edited:
yes. I still have my privacy, security, and functionality in w10. Its the paranoid androids doing without. :)
Unless you remove " diagtrack ", Windows Defender, Cortana, Edge and use a respectable/properly configured third party firewall/internet security program, you are not maintaining and protecting your privacy and security.
The vast majority of Windows 8/10 haters simply don't like the changes to the start menu, hence why they get ridiculed so much (because you hardly ever use the start menu post Vista unless you're doing something wrong).
That makes an assumption you can not possibly know and is not supported by many, MANY, forum discussions the world over.

Last edited:
I'm (always) One step ahead, lex. ;)
Fair enough and props to you. You and I along with anyone else who understands how to properly secure Windows 10, and Windows in general, are definitely in a minority. A growing minority, but still. I'd say this is the reason the chinese public are dubious of Windows 10.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
More importantly, windows 7 will not have the longevity of XP because of licensing.

Business licenses expire in 2020, and when they do, anything using them becomes unusable until they get a new license. For many businesses, they either move to 10 or have no machines.

7 wont stick around like XP did, thats for sure.

There are two main reasons most cite for running windows 10: "ZOMG SPYWORE!!!!11!!" and "The tablet interface doesnt belong on a PC".

The first one is also true of any windows 7 machine updates in the past 2 years, and more importantly, there is no evidence that this spyware is anything but users freaking out over speculation. Telemetry has been collected since windows 2000 (and I'll bet money that nearly every single one of said users uses a smartphone with voice recognition and possibly facebook/twitter installed, the google search engine, accounts on many website, uses the web for banking ans shopping, ece.) The "tablet interface" complainers are either too lazy or incompetent to install classic shell if they want the 7 interface that badly.

there are legitimate reasons to stay on 7 (software compatibility for one, although 10 seems pretty good in this regard). The reasons most cite while spewing about how terrible 10 is and why they are staying on 7 are ridiculous, and thus get ridiculed for being ridiculous.

There is also a third reason, as you pointed out: "10 IS BETA SOFTWARE!!". If you dont want to use "beta" software, stay out of the fast ring. The slow ring 10 has not resembled beta software since a few months from launch (in case you dont remember, 10 had an actual beta) and you can defer updates for quite some time on windows 10 pro if you are super paranoid. The people who always claim that 10 is like beta software always seem to have mysterious problems that point to either hardware faults or user error.

People judge those who make different choices negatively when those others choose differently for ridiculous and ill-informed reasons, then stay the course.

I could say that your post is ridiculous. So? Does this makes your post ridiculous?

You also do assumptions here. The only difference between your arguments and someone's staying at Windows 7, is that you call "ridiculous and ill-informed reasons" the other person's arguments, while you find completely logical yours. Guess what. The other person probably sees yours arguments as "ridiculous and ill-informed reasons" and his as completely logical.

I do agree with one of your arguments. Telemetry is everywhere and most of us already give our personal information to about everyone. "Hi, do you want to win an iPhone? You only have to fill this form with your personal information, so we can find you in case you win". Just an example.

System Name it needs a name?
Processor Xeon E3-1241 v3 @3.5GHz- standard clock
Motherboard Asus Z97A 3.1
Cooling Bequiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, 2 x 140mm intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust PWM fans in the case
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8 GB
Video Card(s) Palit 980ti Super Jetscream
Storage Sandisk X110 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 640GB WD Blue, 12TB Ultrastar
Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface
Power Supply Seasonic P660
Mouse cheapo logitech wireless
Keyboard some keyboard from the 90's
Software Win10pro 64bit
7 is nothing like XP.

Towards the end of MS supporting XP-
It was bloated by updates (a clean install took a day to update on my old core duo)
It was full of security vulnerabilities which MS struggled to keep up with
W7 offered better stability, speed and smaller footprint with no downsides

7 still works fine. XP (despite being a good OS in its day) was dead in the water by the time MS gave up on it.

10 has DX12. That's about all it has to offer above 7 ATM.

Chinese are like "if it ain't bust don't fix it".

7 is nothing like XP.
Indeed, businesses/institutions aren't going to end up trapped on 7 like they were with XP as they can simply upgrade while maintaining compatibility. That wasn't an option with XP due to lots of hardware not having NT6 drivers.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

That is being rather impolite towards people that have a different opinion than you about an operating system.

I run W10 at work and see nothing that I am missing out on over W7 at home. If anything, W10 has introduced more issues than added benefit for our environment. For gaming: all of my games look great and the performance is fine so no gripes there.

Last edited:
7 is nothing like XP.
True
Towards the end of MS supporting XP-
It was bloated by updates (a clean install took a day to update on my old core duo)
It was full of security vulnerabilities which MS struggled to keep up with
W7 offered better stability, speed and smaller footprint with no downsides

7 still works fine. XP (despite being a good OS in its day) was dead in the water by the time MS gave up on it.
Those points are laughable. I have a system with no driver support in Windows Vista forward. It runs fine, does not get virus infections and keeps running smooth as silk. This kind of XP paranoia is as woefully misguided as it is misinformed. XP is still a very securable and stable OS, when properly configured. Additionally, Windows 7 does not have a "smaller footprint" as far as system resources. It requires more storage space for installation, needs more ram and requires higher spec'd CPU's and GPU's than XP ever did.

10 has DX12. That's about all it has to offer above 7 ATM. Chinese are like "if it ain't bust don't fix it".
Those are good points.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Here is how I feel
cdhwin7.jpg

I'll just buy whatever OS is least bad whenever 7 is finally completely obsolete. Its not like they cost that much. Theres always also Windows Accessibility Free Upgrade. In the meantime I will enjoy using my favorite OS. You can keep your Windows Mojave. :roll: Plus they will probably upgrade me for free to Windows 11, or just force me to go 10 with a mandatory inescapable stealth update at some point.

Last edited:
System Name it needs a name?
Processor Xeon E3-1241 v3 @3.5GHz- standard clock
Motherboard Asus Z97A 3.1
Cooling Bequiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, 2 x 140mm intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust PWM fans in the case
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8 GB
Video Card(s) Palit 980ti Super Jetscream
Storage Sandisk X110 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 640GB WD Blue, 12TB Ultrastar
Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface
Power Supply Seasonic P660
Mouse cheapo logitech wireless
Keyboard some keyboard from the 90's
Software Win10pro 64bit
Those points are laughable. I have a system with no driver support in Windows Vista forward. It runs fine, does not get virus infections and keeps running smooth as silk. This kind of XP paranoia is as woefully misguided as it is misinformed. XP is still a very securable and stable OS, when properly configured.

There have been one or two security updates for XP in years. Personally I couldn't recommend XP as a secure OS unless you are using it offline.

Audio Device(s) onboard
With most people having at least 8GB of RAM today, in their systems, I think this is the reason many abandon it. If XP could see 8-16GB of RAM, it's market share could still be double digit.

For very old systems that usually top at 2-4GB of maximum supported memory, XP is fine if the person using it is not stupid to install everything unknown sites, mails, whatever ask him to install. Even then, security is just a question mark, but not as much a sure disaster as many insist. I keep a really old laptop that gets freak out with more than 2GB or memory, making Win 7 a pain to use(opening a browser eats those 2GBs in no time, turning to disk for more). But XP runs beautifully and after a year or so of usage, a virus+malware scan on the disk, performed from another OS, shown nothing.

Win 7 can take advantage of almost any hardware is available today. When most new hardware stops working on 7, people will be forced to upgrade.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
This kind of XP paranoia is as woefully misguided as it is misinformed. XP is still a very securable and stable OS, when properly configured.

The thing is it's got holes not being fixed. What holes? Who knows? That is kinda the point now. And people don't secure stuff. You might, but people in general don't, which is the greatest reason XP really should be removed from the face of the earth.

And XP is fundementally less secure than modern OS's, because duh. Run a Linix distro from 2007 and you have the same problem. All them zero days turning up everywhere? Assume they are worse on XP.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's still supported for POS (Point Of Sale) machines...

Indeed, but that literally only means the PoS version of XP is still supported. It has no meaning when talking consumer space.